Visas for Slovenia

Updated 2017-09-19 09:03

To live, work or study in Slovenia, you may require a visa. The following section contains information on relocating to Slovenia and requirements for visas for work, study, or opening a business. If you are a citizen of a European Union (EU) member state, free movement of workers applies, and you will not require an additional visa to apply for work in Slovenia. All foreign workers in Slovenia receive the same working rights, fair treatment, and public holidays as local workers.

Work visa

To obtain a work permit in Slovenia, as a non-EU citizen, you can only obtain a work permit through sponsorship by an employer, as the permits are issued upon the request of the employer. It is also important to first check if your profession is regulated in Slovenia (such as medicine, teaching, etc.), as these jobs will require you to submit your qualifications to the Ministry of Labour, Family and Social Affairs for recognition. For more information on this check the Mutual Recognition of Qualifications section.

For the employer to hire a non-EU worker, the conditions include:

  • There must be no suitable candidates for the job currently registered with the Employment Service of Slovenia.
  • The employment must not cause any disturbance within the Slovenian labour field.

If you are planning to work in the country for more than three months, you will need a Residence Permit. You can obtain the Residence Permit by applying to the local Administrative Unit with proof of identity and a valid passport. You will also be required to provide proof of employment from your new employer, and evidence that you have health insurance to cover you during your time in the country.

Student visa

EU citizens do not require a visa to study in Slovenia. Non-EU citizens may apply for a visa which allows them to study in the country. They must have proof of enrollment from their educational institution and a no-objection certificate from the university or school. Most student visas will be a short-stay visa (Visa C) or a long-stay visa (Visa D).

Business visa

It is possible to set up a business in Slovenia as an entrepreneur, as long as the business owner registers as an economic subject and meets the requirements for their particular business type. The Slovenian government has set up the e-VEM system to assist those who are thinking of, or are in the process of, starting their own business. New business owners must complete all paperwork and obtain a digital certificate, must have an office space, and must obtain all necessary permits.

Business owners must also pay all necessary taxes and abide by all health and safety requirements. Please visit e-VEM for more detailed information.

General visa requirements

The visa types mentioned above will require applicants to provide:

  • A completed visa application form.
  • Two passport-sized photos.
  • Passport with at least two blank pages and validity for at least three months beyond the return date.
  • Copy of your return airline or travel tickets.
  • Confirmation of health insurance with a minimum coverage of 30,000 euros.
  • Evidence of financial means to support yourself and any dependants for your length of stay within the country.

Good to know:

Visa fees and processing times can vary, please consult the links above for more information.

We do our best to provide accurate and up to date information. However, if you have noticed any inaccuracies in this article, please let us know in the comments section below.