Visas for Denmark

Visas for Denmark
Updated 2019-12-18 08:45

Figuring out which is the right visa or residence permit for your stay in Denmark can be confusing. We’ve made it easier for you by gathering important and relevant information about visa types, costs, and more – check it out below.

Short term visas for Denmark

Perhaps you want to visit Denmark before deciding to move here, or you want to help a friend/family member who will be coming to visit you in Denmark. Short-term visas are for trips of up to 90 days for tourist or business purposes. 

If you are visiting more than one country within the EU area, you might have to apply for a Schengen short-stay visa at another embassy or establishment. Find out more about Schengen visa applications by researching online or phoning the local embassy of the EU country that you will enter first/spend the most time in for more information. 

Visa exemptions in Denmark

Nationals of the EU/EEA region and Switzerland do not require a visa to enter Denmark for up to 90 consecutive days within a 180-day period. Citizens of any countries outside the EU/EEA (Switzerland excluded) will need to apply for a Schengen Area visa with the relevant authorities in your home country. 

Other exemptions to the short-term visa may apply for diplomatic, special, or service passport holders, as well as passport holders from special regions (for example, Hong Kong and Macau). Citizens of some countries who hold biometric passports may also be exempt. 

Still not sure if you need to get a visa? Check the official list of countries with a visa requirement to enter Denmark.

The validity of Danish visas

A short-term visa for tourist and business purposes (single and multi-entry) is valid for a maximum of 90 days. A short-term business visa is not sufficient for long-term working contracts in Denmark. Foreign nationals from all countries (including the EU/EEA area) who plan to work, study, or live in Denmark for longer than three months must apply for the appropriate residence permit. 

Submitting a visa application in Denmark

Visa applications must be submitted by applicants themselves. Most embassies or consulates handle visa applications only on appointment, and the visa fee must be paid in advance. Visa applicants can expect to bring the following to the appointment:

  • a filled and signed visa application (available online or at the Danish embassy)
  • a valid passport with three-months validity beyond intended travel dates and two blank passport pages
  • Copies of all previous visas in the passport 
  • Two identical visa photos (35mm x 45mm). There are strict guidelines for visa photos – consider having the passport photos taken at a photo shop to ensure that they are correct. 

Supporting documents:

  • Proof of sufficient funds (if accommodation is not prepaid, an amount of 500 DKK is required)
  • Travel health insurance to the amount of 30,000 €
  • Proof of accommodation (either hotel/hostel bookings or an invitation letter from a host family/friends)
  • Documented flight itinerary and travel plan including dates, flight/train numbers etc. Entry into and exit from Denmark must be indicated clearly. 

Residence and work permits for Denmark

For expats relocating to Denmark, the process will be similar, although additional documents may be required. Long-term work and study permits have other requirements such as an employment contract from the new employer or proof of university enrolment for students. All types of residence permits should be obtained outside of Denmark before entry, except for EU/EEA nationals who must register residency with the authorities. 

Here are some other types of visas and permits:

  • The working holiday visa: Citizens of Argentina, Australia, Canada, Chile, Japan, New Zealand and South Korea may apply for a ‘Working Holiday’ residence permit.
  • Internship at a Danish company or organization within the health sector, architecture, or the ‘green sector’ (agriculture, forestry, horticulture, veterinary sciences)
  • Religious workers: Religious workers require a different type of work permit. 
  • Au pairs: Working as an au pair with a Danish family requires an au pair residence permit. An agreement with a host family needs to be in place before you can submit an application. Citizens of EU/EEA countries must apply for an EU residence document. 
  • PhD students: PhD students may need a different study permit than undergraduate/masters students. 
  • Family reunification for spouses, partners, parents and children of residents in Denmark.
  • Fast-track residence permit for highly qualified foreign professionals with an existing job offer. 
  • Pay Limit scheme for faster processing times if you have been offered a job with a minimum yearly salary of DKK 426,000 or higher.  
We do our best to provide accurate and up to date information. However, if you have noticed any inaccuracies in this article, please let us know in the comments section below.