Menu
Expat.com
Search
Magazine
Search

URGENT HELP REQUEST

Hi everyone, Good night!


I was robbed at GRU Airport earlier today and lost all my documents and money. I’m currently without ID, cash, or a place to stay and urgently need somewhere safe to sleep for just a few days while I deal with the police report, contact my embassy, and try to get things sorted.


If anyone in the São Paulo area (or near the airport) would be kind enough to offer a spare room, couch, or even just a safe space for a short time, I would be extremely grateful. I only need temporary help until I can resolve this situation.


Thank you so much for reading this. Any advice or assistance would mean a lot right now!

See also

@Nomad Mundo

You do not have a place in brazil?

1 member reacted to this post

@oluomoadebayo

Yep.. Right now no.. I was traveling from US to Curitiba but this happened.

@Nomad Mundo

Your story doesn't add up.


What are you doing in the country? How was your belongings stollen? What was stollen: wallet or luggage?


First thing the police would do was assist you in contact American Embassy.


Sorry if I sound dubious, but this sounds very much like a scam!


Edit: you're a dual citizen? Both American and Brazilian?


Why do you need to contact the embassy? Do you have no residents in Brazil, where were you planning on staying, sleeping?

1 member reacted to this post

08/07/26 @Nomad Mundo.  I'm sorry to hear that this has happened to you again.  Two significant things are in your favor:  you apparently still  have your phone (since you're able to post here), and today, Friday, August 7, is a weekday.  You have a busy day ahead.


Since you have your phone, you  have a photo ID even if your paper documents have been stolen:  you can use your electronic voter ID on the e-Título app.  You can also use the electronic version of your CNH (Driver's License) on the CNH do Brasil app, and your CPF info on the Receita Federal app.  All or most of these have already been integrated into gov.br, so you may be able to access all of them with one login.  Same thing if you're using a borrowed computer; you'll just have the extra step of getting printouts.


As I write this, banks will open in São Paulo in about twenty minutes, and the nearest branch of your bank should be your next objective, to block your stolen cards, get emergency replacements, and ensure your access to your accounts.   Not a consulate:  since you're a Brazilian citizen in Brazil, it's doubtful that you'll get much help from either the US Consulate or from the consulate of your birth nation, if different.  That isn't how things work.  Consulates can wait until Monday:  you'll eventually need new passports if yours were stolen, but that's  not an immediate problem.  You need to lock down your bank account and start reconstructing your Brazilian documents today, before everything closes for the weekend.


At the bank, go directly to the back office, don't bother with the tellers in the caixa.  Your bank's nearest branch to your current location will do:  banking is national in Brazil, and whether you bank  with Banco do Brasil, Caixa, Bradesco, Itaú or Santander you should be able to secure your account -- and your funds -- at any of your bank's branches, regardless of your home branch, particularly in an emergency.  Once you've re-established complete control of your bank accounts, transfer a couple of hundred Reais as Uber Cash to Uber so you can ride for the rest of the day.


I don't know what the process is for replacing a stolen CIN (Carteira de Identidade Nacional) in São Paulo, but the police that you're dealing with will, so it's best to ask them.  You probably won't get a new CIN today (although it's not impossible), but you should be able to start the process.


Once your documents have been replaced and things slow down, take copies of your CIN (both sides), CNH (both sides), and ID pages of your passport(s).  Have the copies authenticated at a cartório.  Put them in an envelope with printouts of your SUS card, your CPF, and a screenshot of your e-Título.  Put the envelope at the bottom of your backpack and ... forget about it.  But remember it if you ever have to reconstruct your documents again; it will help.


Best of luck.

3 members reacted to this post

@abthree

I'm not the OP, I'm just amazed at how helpful your post is! Thx for helping out a stranger in need.

3 members reacted to this post

@abthree

Thanks very much for your time and advice! I was able to solve some of my issues following your suggestions. Words can't explain how grateful I'm to you but I certainly appreciate your kindness and support! 🙏

1 member reacted to this post

08/07/26 @Nomad Mundo.  Sounds like you're on the right track -- I'm so glad to hear it.  Try to get some rest this weekend so you can hit the ground running on Monday.  It'll be ok.  👍🏻

I'm really sorry to hear about your problem Nomad Mundo. While I've yet to encounter a robbery or a personal loss of a wallet or travel folder on the road, one thing I've always done to mitigate data recovery is the following.......food for thought if anyone here cares.


Bare in mind I sometimes travel internationally a bit with multiple passports, between blocs that don't exactly get along with each other, and although I have refused to enter US airspace and borders for 3 years now, and probably never will again, that particular country, or the EU or UK, can unintentionally still make your life difficult in all sorts of other ways, like blocking internet services depending on the IP address you are using, etc, so.......


Open up 2 at a minimum, but I use 3, different email accounts on different service providers located in different continents and economic blocs.


Create a document folder in the saved messages section of each one.


Email yourself scanned images of the front and back of every single document, credit or debit card, passport, driver's license, birth cert, marriage cert, title to property, proof of address, etc, etc,  and absolutely every single other piece of paper that matters in your entire life. Save them in each of the 2 or 3 accounts you create. You can even keep a document with login and password info for the non-sensitive sites (non-banking).


Set up back up email recovery addresses, and 2FA using the email for your banking with these different email addresses as well.


If your phone goes missing or gets stolen, along with your money and documents you still can log into any of the 2 or 3 email addresses from any remote computer worldwide, open up banking or other sites and communicate with them directly and immediately,  and print out color images to start rebuilding your life and access your money.

1 member reacted to this post

@hagece8690

Thanks very much for your time and important suggestions! 🙏

3 members reacted to this post

@abthree

Thank you for taking your time to offer this help. You are a treasure.

1 member reacted to this post

@abthree

**Quick update:** 

I managed to book an appointment for the new document using the photos I had saved in my Gmail. I’ve also regained access to my Bradesco and Santander accounts, and I’m hoping to get access to Banco do Brasil by Monday. On top of that, a kind lady has offered me her studio to stay until I get my issues resolved.🙏👍

@Bolandpe

**Quick update:** 

Thanks you very much for your kind words and offer for help.. I managed to book an appointment for the new document using the photos I had saved in my Gmail. I’ve also regained access to my Bradesco and Santander accounts, and I’m hoping to get access to Banco do Brasil by Monday.. On top of that, a kind lady has offered me her studio to stay until I get my issues resolved.🙏👍

@hagece8690

  **Quick update:** 

Thanks you very much for your kind words and offer for help.. I managed to book an appointment for the new document using the photos I had saved in my Gmail. I’ve also regained access to my Bradesco and Santander accounts, and I’m hoping to get access to Banco do Brasil by Monday.. On top of that, a kind lady has offered me her studio to stay until I get my issues resolved.🙏👍

@Nomad Mundo

Thank goodness that you are finding a way to solve your problem. Was the incident happened inside the airport or outside?

Further reading