Menu
Expat.com
Search
Magazine
Search

My experience with CASS in Andorra

Why I am sharing this


Andorra can be a wonderful place to live. But if I had known what I would face when I needed complex medical treatment, I would have chosen differently.


The medical care itself has been good. My frustration is with CASS, Andorra's public social security institution, which handles healthcare reimbursements, pensions, and sickness and disability benefits. In my experience, its bureaucracy became an obstacle to getting the treatment my surgeon recommended.


The treatment CASS refused


My operation required complex internal stitching to create a watertight closure. The surgeon recommended robot-assisted laparoscopic surgery as the most appropriate and safest option for me.


I took his recommendation and medical reports to CASS and asked for a contribution, even if limited to the amount covered for conventional laparoscopy.


As soon as the employee saw the word 'robotic', the documents were pushed back to me. The answer was no. I was offered no medical review or discussion of partial reimbursement. I left feeling that the treatment label mattered more than my medical circumstances.


A second opinion by a world renowned doctor confirmed that tradional laparoscopy is not to way to proceed in my case.


A formal request and more delays


I then asked my lawyer to submit a formal request. CASS rejected the electronic signature, even though the signature checks consistently showed it was valid. This game played by the CASS lasted almost a month. To me, this is indecent behaviour from a government institution.


When CASS finally accepted the signature, they said they had two months to respond. My latest possible surgery date was only a month away, and they had known that deadline from the start. Their response period extended beyond the time I had left.


CASS never answered my request, even within those two months.


By doing so they forced me to undergo an operation with a less optimal technique, which had a consequence for my recovery and discomfort.


What I would advise before moving


This experience left me deeply disappointed. At a time when I needed support, I faced a refusal, a prolonged dispute over a valid signature and an unanswered request. In my view, CASS has shown indecent behaviour and has no real interest in securing good healthcare facilities for the country.


Before moving to Andorra, check whether you can obtain independent health insurance from outside Andorra that covers treatment abroad, including treatment CASS refuses, so you are not subject to such indecent behaviour from bureaucrats.


You may still have to contribute to CASS, but in this way they cannot jeopardize your health.

See also