Contemplating a move to KL

I am currently working in Europe as a software guy. I got an opportunity to move to KL as a Product Manager for a software product.

The job is something I am interested in because it opens up a myriad of opportunities in the future and I do want to stay in Asia for some time.

The offer rolled out to me is as follow

Annual income - ~200,000/ myr.( including employer EPF)
The breakup is as following :
Monthly income - 14500 myr
Employer will pay 13% EPF
Employee will pay 11% EPF
This brings the monthly actually income to close to ~ 16000 MYR

Relocation package
1. 30 days hotel
2. 15000 MYR one-time payment

Other benefits
1. 2 Return tickets back home
2. Outpatient coverage of 1200 MYR
3. Inpatient and surgical insurance
4. 20 days annual leave
5. 15 days sick leave
6. Bonus - variable but not promised

My total experience is close to 7 years. I am a native English speaker with a good command of Mandarin and decent Spanish.

Is this opportunity something you guys would consider . My initial plan was HK and Singapore, but HK being at a state of unrest, and Singapore being expensive ( I was offered a mere 8.5K SGD ), I am now looking at this offer.

I tried my best to negotiate but owing to COVID19 and the sluggish economy, this was the best I could negotiate.

Advice?

Thanks .

Both Hong Kong and Singapore are probably preferable to work in compared to Malaysia, in my humble opinion. However KL is really not bad and the salary you are being offered will allow you to save money. Also your contract conditions are not bad considering how difficult it is for foreigners to find jobs with good benefits these days, not to mention the pandemic.

With a net salary of RM16k, you need only to pay RM2k - 3k for a two bedroom apartment in a decent condominium in a good location. That is fine for a a single person or a couple with a child. Food can be cheap if you eat local food especially and it is very tasty, so I would think you can save a lot.

I do not know the typical salary for IT PM's but my sister is earning about double that in Singapore with a luxury apartment and full expat conditions. However, her job level is a lot higher and not in IT. But considering you are being given the chance to work in Asia which is a lot of fun and that your salary is decent then I'd be happy with it. The cost of living in Singapore is a lot higher than in Malaysia too.

By the way, the SGD8.5k that you were offered for the Singapore job is that net or gross salary?

Thanks for the reply ! 16k is not net , that's the gross salary ( including employer EPF ) .

Yup , the salary offered to me in SG was 8.5k gross with some variable bonus . Benefits were more or less the same , but my life quality in MY would arguably  be better than SG with the salary offered .