Is 18k RM per month good salary for KL location?

Guys,

Got an offer of 18k RM per month for KL location. Have 12 years of experience in IT.

Planning to move with family of 3. Need some savings as well. Is it good to accept the offer?

@Vadi_21 very good salary... You can easily survive with kids in this salary

@ahmed_faiz2000 Thank you for the reply. Can we live comfortably with this salary?. I have send my kid to school as well.

• It is a good salary for an Expat i presume from the subcontinent. You can live comfortably with family and i presume the company will be giving housing allowance separately. But be mindful that KL is the most expensive city in Malaysia with high rental and very high international school fee structure. Since you have 3 kids, this is a major expenditure to consider if your kids are over the primary school stage, and already in secondary level. You can live modestly and enjoy the benefits that come with living in a modern cosmopolitan city ,but i hate to break the bubble that you can have savings. Most likely after the school fee,bus fee and medical insurance and taxes you would hardly be left with anything. You can save some in taxes by showing your dependents and by paying your zakat (for muslims) within Malaysia annually. Also the high security deposit that the schools demand at the time of admission and the expenditure of buying a car are going to wipe out your savings of the first year or two completely. Malaysia is a beautiful country and the family is going to love it but one has to be mindful of the reality. Lastly International schools often inflate the tuition fee annually by 5-10% which really pinches the pocket.

Hey everyone,

Please note that this thread is now on the Kuala Lumpur forum. 1f609.svg

Cheers,

Cheryl

Expat.com team

Hi

Based on your life style & Requirements all depends. Have you checked the Schools fees? From Which Country Are you from?

@ahmed_faiz2000 no its not!

After tax approx 15,000 RM per month

When USD was 3 to MYR, 5,000 dollars good.

Now equal to 3,200 USD per month. A poor salary especially with very high inflation in Malaysia.

After tax that's about 15k RM or 3,200 USD per month.

If 23 and single, it's OK, not great but doable - note Malaysian inflation is rampant and likely RM will fall further.

If married three kids RUN AWAY! Terrible joke salary.

School fees are about 3k RM per kid per month (lower end of decent schools), so 9k of your 15k salary goes on schooling (you cant use state schools). Ouch.

Then rent and bills will be at least 2.5k.... you see why you can't unless this is plus free accommodation and free school places.

You definitely won't save.

You can rent an apartment for RM2k to 3k pm quite easily and maybe even lower than that, for a 2 bedroom apartment. Assume up to Rm1k per month for electricity, internet, phones, gas, water etc.  If you have children that need to go to school and need to pay for this yourself, then you need to know how much it will cost beforehand. Schools can be very expensive in Malaysia and you'd need to research schools very carefully. Also which part of KL would your place of work be?

I would say 18K isnt enough unless youre willing to suffer a lower standard of living and even then I probably wouldnt sleep well at night due to PANIC. Its amazing how just a few years ago 18K would be a king's ransom but hardly one now.

I know its absurd and will never happen but i'd tell HR, "Ok, we're not going to have a stated salary. I'll show up at the Pay Office once a week to draw off what I need and at the end of the year, add it up and that was my salary!"

Its not even worth discussion or the suggestion of checking out numbeo.com or something, not when its below about 30-35K a month for this level of need. I could do it on 18k if married and NO KIDS. Pfff, forget it.