Acceptable Expat Salary

Hi All

I have been offered a MYR 15k salary exclusive of tax with travel allowance insurance for wife n spouse plus relocation. I plan to live first few months shared n then bring my family over.

Is this a good salary given its pretax. I'm a vegetarian.
If i wanna share a an apartment near Cyberjaya where can i look It up.

Also EPF is there.

It's a reasonable salary especially for cyberjaya living.

Check ibilik and mudah for flat share rooms

Can u define reasonable? And i will move to KLCC by July

Also is there deposit for 2-3 months accommodation.

COL is higher in klcc.

Rental deposit is usually 2.5 months rental advance. The half month relating to utilities. Plus first month rent in advance

Check iproperty for rental costs

But the amount i said is that ok for a comfortable living... Not a big party person..

Hi All. Can anyone gimme comfort that if i were to live near KL central say Brickfields this a good amount

For normal needs you can live on RM5k  based on accommodation cost of RM2k.

So then we are saying at 15k per month is a good enough amount to live in KL

If I said no, would you be more happy :-))

Your income tax will be approximately

non resident rate 4200 per month
resident rate c. 2300 per month

Thanks Gravitas. I will work out my calculations accordingly. And no would be :(
Just need to understand how things are there that's all

If I didn't write it before, do check what EPF the company is going to contribute, because there is no compulsion to pay into the fund in the same way as for local Malaysians. Often companies just pay a nominal amount of as low as RM5 per month so the employee can open an account. The other side of the coin is whether the EPF pays foreigners the same interest dividends as Malaysians......

Thanks. EPF is well documented and sorted. Employer contribution is more than mine and will increase on employer part as per my tenure.

The only other big hit for families is most forms of education.

This group may be of interest - Expat Women - Events & Outdoor Activities in KL

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ExpatWo … vitesinKL/

Cool thanks.. Education not really worries for another year or si

I've been here for about 6 months now, and I assure you that 15K (minues tax minus EPF) will be very comfortable especially without schooling and a car.

Tax will be higher for the first 6 months at around 28% and then will go down to the normal rates. I've been told that the difference will be refunded to you when you submit your tax report the following year.

Housing average (2-3 bedroom condo): RM 2500/mo
Utilities: 300 - 500/mo
Internet: 189/mo plus or minus
Groceries: 2000/mo

You can lower the numbers down on housing, utilities and groceries bill, and that leaves you with more money to spare.

10800 -2500 - 500 - 189 - 2000 and you're left with ~rm5600 for everything else.

On the other hand, EPF is a very good saving plan if you opt to sign up for it. You will contribute around 11% (from your basic salary) while your employer is obliged to contribute 12% of your basic salary (and NOT from your salary). It's like getting 12% bonus monthly, but not in your hands, they'd be handy in the future.

Not that if you stick around past your initial 6 months, you become resident and the tax goes to normal levels.

Foreigners do not have to be enrolled in EPF. It is at the discretion of the corporate employer. Furthermore they are only obliged to pay as little as RM5 per month* and not the 12% which local employees can expect. Therefore the wording of the Employment Offer Letter is important and to double check the EPF terms they are going to offer. The other issue is whether or not foreigners get the dividends local employees get. This should also be checked out. I have heard a flat rate only is paid.
* just so the employee can make their contribution.

The question of "how much salary" will never be answered sufficiently. I always advise new expats to come and visit the place before making decisions. Whats a good salary for me might not be good for anyone else.

You said family. How big is your family? Are your kids going to be in private schools when they come?

Look at HTTP404 budget. Here is mine. Two expats, same place, big difference:
House rent 700
Utilities 55
Internet 150
Groceries 700-1000
Car 100

So, with 15,000 against that budget, I would be having a growing savings account but others might be feeling pain. But I have no kids, very little medical or dental, I dont go to bars, no special problems or needs. Everyone is different. But generally speaking, husband and wife and no kids in private schools, 15,000 is a very excellent salary and it can cover everything.

You can check mudah.my for condos and cars. iProperty is good too, for higher budgets.

Hello,
Good day!!!  thanks for everyone making this forum to help each other.

I will be moving to Putrajaya and i am offered a salary 6000 RM per month, but am little hesitating, considering what would be average cost of living in Malaysia.  I know it would not be accurate to confirm the cost of living or savings one can, but i just want to know if 6000 RM a reasonable for a single person to live.   I also see the 28% tax, so with gross pay of 6000RM per month i will paying 1630 RM tax per month? that would be too much.

thanks
Eshwri

You can probably survive on RM2500 per month. This would include sharing an apartment and costs such as utilities, internet, etc. Then remainder for food, transport, phone.

Check www.ibilik.my or www.mudah.my for rooms.To check out own accommodation options, also check www.iproperty.com.my If you want own accommodation then your budget would need to be RM3000+

28% deduction (after deduction for EPF - if any) is for the first 182 days (NRR). Then  payment is the normal Resident Rates (RR).

As long as you are in Malaysia during 2018 for 182 days in total, tax will be retroactively equalised over the tax year.

i.e. NRR - RR x 6 months = overpayment (potential reimbursement).

Any tax overpayment will be reimbursed once tax return for 2018 is submitted in April 2019.