Driving into Belize from US

Does anyone have any recent experience with driving into Belize through Mexico?  I hope to bring my car with all my possessions across in the next few months.  Don't qualify for QRP, and don't have a lot of money.

Hi zorba,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

I hope other members will be able to advise you.

As far as the first part of your question - driving through Mexico - check with Mexconnect, a site for expats in Mexico. Lot's of experienced travelers to Yucatan there (I presume you want to go through Chetumal).  Travel from Tamaulipas seems to be very dangerous right now, but people on that site share their experiences with different routes.

As far as Belize customs go - might get a temporary importation period at first, but then it looks like you'd have to pay custom duty, rather heavy and somewhat arbitrary in assessing your car value. 

No idea what you plan to live on in Belize, but if you do not have much money I would suggest to go without a car for while - you can explore Belize much cheaper using public transportation: gas is expensive there and the roads (or whatever is called "roads" in Belize) will kill your car pretty fast.

Good luck

Thanks very much for your input.  I will check out Mexconnect.

[Moderated]

You do not qualify for the GRP?

What you mean you do not make or have $2,000 a month of income?

Dude Belize will eat you alive and spit you out to take a poop-poo
on you.

That is providing you even make it to Belize in your car filled with all your worldly possessions driving through Mexico?

Ah, do you speak Spanish? You mention again you do not have a lot of money. Did you know there is a drug war going on in Mexico, right?

Okay nuts dude...I have set the budget on my household at considerably higher than $2,000 a month. How are you going to make income and support yourself?

But see I seriously doubt that you make it to Belize. But may God be with you if you actually get to Belize.

If you get here I make a prediction. You will get extradited back to the USA within 2 months. Belize will throw you out.

Seriously, nothing personal. I am not a religious man but tonight I am going to pray that you do not go anywhere until you can support yourself financially.

Stay where you are.

Eric, I do not have a habit of insulting anybody, but this post of your brings to mind just two thoughts: " a bully" and " a baboon" (sorry baboons)

The value of people does not lie in how much they have/make or not have/make... while boasting of a 7000 household budgets could get you a few laughs from much richer baboons... and a few sarcastic smiles from people who see underlying primitivism ( and total vacuums where brain and heart are normally located)in this boasting.

Vulgarly insulting a fellow blogger should never be acceptable. Insulting someone for being open to admit he does not have much resources is below the low!

If someone crossed you today, things went very bad and you need to bully someone as a result of it... grow up and be a man.

Don't worry, someone with a $7000 household budget can also be a man and a decent human being. There are fairly decent human beings also among super rich, like Warren Buffett, for example. Not many, but there are. So there should be hope for you, too, pobrecito.

Could you please calm down?

Thanks,
Harmonie.

Hey Zorba i was in San Ignacio for a month i spent less money than that its according how you want to live.I am single and was happy with a small room in a Residence and the owner cooked 2 meals a day for me at a low cost i flew there and back and stayed in hotels for a few days and didnt get close to spending 7000 that month.Im not sure about Driving Through Mexico either but you will have to check into that yourself lots of luck .

David