Bringing down quads atv's

I plan on moving to Belize hopefully by the end of the year. Wondering if anyone has imported 4x4 quads. If so is there a certain brand that anyone in Belize can service or get parts for? Also as for duty would it be best to import a new quad or one that is 5-10 years old?

Since I have been here I have seen almost every brand of ATV here.  There are people that can work on any of them and parts are not hard to find.

As for the duty, I would bring used, that way you can fill out your own bill of sale.

Good Luck,

Mike

Thanks for your input. I was leaning towards used ones as I can work on them myself if needed. I was just worried about getting parts the duty on them. I figured a couple of 4x4 with winches would be great little workhorses on our place in the cayo.

FotoMikeT wrote:

As for the duty, I would bring used, that way you can fill out your own bill of sale.

Good Luck,

Mike

Good luck indeed.  Since so many folks  tried to scam them this way, Customs now have their own guide books setting value of goods and reportedly no longer pay attention to value shown on receipts. They will also add the cost of transporting the item to Belize for import duty calculations.

bwd61,

You will see this type of thing on a lot of sites.  You will post a question and no one will reply for a few days, but then as soon as someone does reply, then the smart ones will start telling you why you cannot do it that way.  I did not say to scam anyone in my post, but "Will The Old" read into it what he wanted to and assumed the worst like most people do.

If you bring "USED" things the cost is less and you can use a bill of sale instead of an invoice with "NEW" pricing, therefore, your duty will be LESS and it will save you money.

Good Luck,

Mike

FotoMikeT wrote:

I did not say to scam anyone in my post, but "Will The Old" read into it what he wanted to and assumed the worst like most people do.

If you bring "USED" things the cost is less and you can use a bill of sale instead of an invoice with "NEW" pricing, therefore, your duty will be LESS and it will save you money.

Good Luck,

Mike

Perhaps if you go back and read my post again, you will see no one on this forum was accused of anything, only why Belize Custom officers are now supposed to use their own governments value guides to set duty on goods brought into Belize.   ;)

Granted, as anyone that has been there knows, there are variances in how individual government employees enforce regulations.  :o

Oh, and Mike could you please explain what you meant by

that way you can fill out your own bill of sale.

If you roll up to the border with an atv in the bed of a pickup, how is "the cost of transporting the item to Belize" determined?

thx

jay

jracer98 wrote:

If you roll up to the border with an atv in the bed of a pickup, how is "the cost of transporting the item to Belize" determined?

thx

jay

In other threads on this forum, you will see that folks driving across the Belize border had the cost of driving the trip "estimated" by  government officials and added to the import duty on the vehicle they were driving.

Use the magnifying glass at top of page  to search keywords for previous discussion on many topics in the Belize forum. Just pay attention to the age of the post, as things change.

Stared at the page for about 5 minutes looking for a search box --->turns out it was hidden behind an ad,,,(snarky) hehehe

Re: hauling an atv--->Strange duty system, doesn't seem fair for the guy from Seattle Wa.

But hey       their country, their rules.

Once I've paid the duty, rolled past the border and on am the way to the beach house IT'S SIRIUS ON 26 AND SOMEBODY GET ME THE MARINE WEATHER REPORT FOR THE NEXT DAY !!!

Best Regards

jay