Regarding personal travel

I have been looking into options on how to get around down there.  I am dealing with some health issues and I have a dog qho likes to travel with me.  I came accross a 150cc 7150 Carbide Kart.  It appears  to work from here.  My question is would it work there.  Has anybody tried this or something similar.   I know gas costs a bit.  Can you license this to drive around and into town?  Insurance?  Road legal?  Just an idea.

Depending on what you define as "health issues". Belize may not be the best choice even without the logistical handicap of bringing a pet. As far as driving a go cart on the street even if it is legal, again not a good choice in my opinion. BTW how are you looking to import it into the country?

I have been labelled with M.S.  A neurological thing.  I thought Belize would be a good source of a nutrient Food supply (Fruits, vegtables, and eggs).  I currently have a Toyota Matrix.  I looked at a motorcycle with a sidecar, an ATV, and a scooter for local options.  Thought about gas prices and then saw this.  Seems safer, and can carry more.  It has a roll cage.  I can take the dog too.  Are you saying Belize is not safe for smaller vehicles, like bicycles.  Call it a gokart, buggy, or what you want.  Bringing it in would be like bring in a scooter, I figure.  I would pay duty on it.  Just an option I was looking at.  Not trying to be a pain in the butt, I'm 52.

Have you ever been to Belize?  Remember that there aren't roads everywhere; Hopkins is not the only area where roads have really broken up again after the rains. Also if you leave an open vehicle, how will you secure your belongings in the vehicle?

Part of why I selected this vehicle is the option of off road.  Take a look on Youtube.  It has also modding options to bring the speed up to above 50 m.p.h.  I have checcked some things out.  I have been in the area, but not lived there permanetly.   I was looking for some concrete answers, rather than opinions.  I realize they have crime there.  But, I am trying to think outside of the box.  I appreciate all answers and help.  Thanks.

ValdyDreimanis wrote:

I have been labelled with M.S.  A neurological thing.  I thought Belize would be a good source of a nutrient Food supply (Fruits, vegtables, and eggs).  I currently have a Toyota Matrix.  I looked at a motorcycle with a sidecar, an ATV, and a scooter for local options.  Thought about gas prices and then saw this.  Seems safer, and can carry more.  It has a roll cage.  I can take the dog too.  Are you saying Belize is not safe for smaller vehicles, like bicycles.  Call it a gokart, buggy, or what you want.  Bringing it in would be like bring in a scooter, I figure.  I would pay duty on it.  Just an option I was looking at.  Not trying to be a pain in the butt, I'm 52.

Now that you have defined health issues: As long as you do not need specialized health care, or do not have mobility issues, not a problem. Belize has very little (if any) of the handicapped accommodations in buildings homes, sidewalks or elsewhere  that are prevalent in many parts of North America.   

Gas prices are roughly $5 US/gallon.  I don't know what milage you get with the Toyota, but if saving on gas costs by driving the gocart (gocart is what came up when I googled the numbers you provided) is the main reason for buying it, it is going to take a  long time (if ever) to get a return on investment of purchase price/import duty/maintenance/insurance(if its insurable for road use)/tires/etc. Now if a major reason to get it is fun, that's a different story.  :D

I have a friend in Placencia that bought a chinese made two passenger vehicle resembling a dune buggy. It is a little bigger than a golf cart, large suspension travel, about 350cc, would do 40mph,  Very sharp looking  with a covered passenger area. He drove it up and down the Placencia Peninsula. I asked him one time about driving it off the Peninsula on the hwy and he said he had no death wish.   

In a year he went through two sets of tires, the sun crazzed the windshield because it was parked outside. Had to do lots of bolt tightening and other maintenance/modifications/welding to keep parts from falling off, broke several suspension parts that he had to order because dealer in Belize City did not keep in stock. He got tired of always fixing it and sold it after a year. Contact Belize insurance companies to get a quote and see if they will even insure it.

I suggest you already have a good vehicle for your needs in the Toytoa.

"good vehicle for your needs in the Toyota"  Uhmmm...
Knowing the (mostly unpaved) roads around Belize, and the low clearance of a Matrix, it's very hard for me to agree  with your statement, Will.
If a "dune buggy" falls apart (yes, ok, it's chinese made, but...) that fast, how long will a "made for asphalt" car like that last?

This is what I want, a good healthy debate and discussion.  Not looking for Made in China.  What do you suggest or recommend.  I want to hear it.  Obviously the Matrix XRS won't cut it.

ValdyDreimanis wrote:

This is what I want, a good healthy debate and discussion.  Not looking for Made in China.  What do you suggest or recommend.  I want to hear it.  Obviously the Matrix XRS won't cut it.

Hummm OK you have not supplied enough info to be able to be able to supply good info.
So go for it, and please let us know how you do with that go cart over Belize speed bumps.  ;)

I was thinking San Ignacio or up in the hills, not the coast.  The go kart will have a least 20" wheels and good suspension.  I understand the bumps are marked.  I was thinking about non paved roads more.  Travel will not be primary.  I don't need the perfect choice, just pushed in the right direction.  I am open to ideas.....

Polaris side by side, Referred to as mule, we use them extensively in rough terrain no roads south dakota, USA.  Tough, can enclose them, pretty decent on gas, just a thought

Polaris side by side, Referred to as mule, we use them extensively in rough terrain no roads south dakota, USA.  Tough, can enclose them, pretty decent on gas, just a thought

@ValdyDreimanis Polaris side by side, Referred to as mule, we use them extensively in rough terrain no roads south dakota, USA.  Tough, can enclose them, pretty decent on gas, just a thought