Buying or importing a small motorcycle or scooter

hi, i'm thinking about moving to Belize. I currently live in Thailand and everyone gets around on scooters here, mostly honda's and yamaha, i have 3 myself. looking at Belize classifieds its seems the scooters are expensive Chinese rubbish, and bigger bikes are very expensive. am i wrong, can i get a nice, used, Honda click or similar for around $1000US?

failing that, i was wondering about buying a bike in mexico city and driving it to Belize and paying import duty. is that an option? how much would it cost?

also, what are the formalities about driving a bike in Belize. US license ok? can get local insurance?

thanks, steve

PS, i guess its 37% import duty on a bike bigger than 50cc http://www.customs.gov.bz/rate_motor_vehicles.html

PPS, i guess to buy a new one of the Chinese things isn't too bad
http://www.universalhardware.bz/meilun.html
about $1600US.
rentals are ridiculous, $59/day! in Thailand its $8 a day

I've not bought one, but I feel like they're probably cheaper than that. They're everywhere, and lots of people who seemingly have little money have them. You could probably get a used one pretty cheap. US license is fine for a couple years. Eventually you need to replace it. Insurance is easy.

good to know, thanks. it doesn't look there is a big second hand market for bikes in BZ online, compared to places like Thailand and Viet Nam. but it sounds promising that when i get there i should be able to find something. what about owing a vehicle? is that doable if i enter without a long term visa?

i'm also thinking buying a used bike, like a 250cc honda in Texas and drive down, pay the 37% tax. the big problem i see with that is if something goes wrong and there are no Honda service places and parts i have a big problem.

what about if  you buy parts on ebay from the US and have it shipped, is that expensive?

Try  Belize Buy and sell. it is for within Belize sales but its the locals go to site dealing with  a lot of less expensive stuff great place to understand  local prices for all sorts of things. Its a big site not too easy to navigate, prices aimed at other Belizeans not Gringo pricing.   it is also often used locally for news items. When Hurricane hit last year it was one of the best places to find out what was happening in ALL the affected areas, the TV and radio were concentrating on tourist areas Belize and Belmopan cities. The little Chinese motor bikes I have seen as low as $1250BZE in Spanish lookout,  I don't know if they are any good but they sure are popular around Belmopan and Cayo.

thanks, i expect the Chinese bikes are the way to go, easy to fix locally and i'm not a mechanic so i'd rather leave it to someone who is.

It's easy enough to have stuff shipped down, but it's so much easier to just buy here. That's a long journey through Mexico on a bike.

Also useful to know gas is about US$5.50 a gallon here right now.

wow, "gas is about US$5.50 a gallon here right now". that's why i want a cheap scooter, 125cc ish. i like to travel around, maybe even over to mex or guatamala some times, and i like the independence of having my own transport.

Yeah. The bus system is pretty good, even for going to Guatemala or Mexico, but independence of your own transport is nice. The gas situation here is a complicated one, part corruption, part no economy of scale or oil refineries.