Vehicle

Is it better to buy a vehicle in belize or should I bring with me when we move there?  If I do bring one, which one?  Newer model or older beater?  Jeep Cherokee? Vw toureg?  Or other recommendations?
Thanks

Ed

Hi Ed,
There are very many variables in choosing a vehicle for Belize. First thing, don't bring a nice car, like a Corvette or Jag. The roads have a lot of chuck holes and speed bumps. You need a vehicle that has some clearance to the ground. A lot of people have SUV's like a Jeep.
I am not well versed on QRP, but what I understand, a vehicle brought in on QRP can not be over 3 years old. You can not sell the vehicle in Belize and if you don't stay for 4 years you have to pay the import duty.
Buying a vehicle here is a crapshoot. A lot of mechanics will put cars together with bailing wire! A lot of cars brought here from the states were totaled and fixed here. A clear title is rare. I bought a truck from a rental place and had very good luck with it. It was totalled in the states and brought here. Watch out for vehicles that were stolen in the states and brought here. Check the vin before buying.
There are very nice new vehicles available here that you never see in the states. The prices a pretty reasonable.
There is no easy answer to the question.

The import duty on imported cars into Belize can be extremely high. Older vehicles with 4 cylinders pay less duty.

Cars can either be shipped to Belize, which is expensive, or driven through Mexico. There has been a few incidents in northern Mexico with drug cartel people.

Do not bring a "low" car to Belize, because of the speed bumps. SUV's or pick-ups are best here.

it is as cheap, and normally more convenient to buy a car here, rather than pay the cost of bringing one down and paying duty.

Many Belizeans buy a "third -world edition" vehicle that is made in Panama for the Central and South American market and has a smaller, diesel engine  Gasoline is more expensive in Belize.

Some cars that have been in accidents are bought at auctions in the States, and brought to Belize where they are repaired. I have owned many of these with no problems. it is very difficult to bring stolen cars from the US these days because they are required to wait at the border for 3 days, so that ownership can be verified.

Under the QRP programme, you can buy a new car every three years without paying duty. However, duty does have to be paid when the vehicle is sold.

My recommendation? Sell your car and buy another one in Belize.

Hi Ed,

in which Area you will move and drive?If you move to Placencia and drive only to Dangria then you can buy a normal
Sedan but i you will move to the Cayo Area or Hummingbird Highway you need and SUV.Don't buy a Lexus,Daihatsu or something exotic because first you will not get any Parts here and the second you will not find a trained Mechanic who can fix it.i am the Audi/VW Dealer here in Belize.i deal with used and new Cars of Audi and VW.i have for all Models the Parts in Stock or i can get it in 4-6 Days delivered to Belize.My Website is vwbelize.com

The Duty for 6 Cylinders and more is 63.8%
For V8 you have to pay a add Luxury Tax
The Duty for 4 Cylinders and less than 3000ccm is 57.8%
Pickup Trucks with 4 Cylinder (ex.VW Amarok) 19.8%

to the Duty you have to pay 12.5 GST,5% ET and a Customs handling Fee of 2%

If you are qualified for the QRP you don't have to pay that.One Vehicle is free.

If you have any Question my Contact Adress you will find it on my Website vwbelize.com

Hi,
I heard about Belize (Latin America) is a good place to live and work.
Can you please provide some guidelines !

Thanks and Best Regards,
saeedmirza69  (at)  gmail  (dot)  com

Are you coming QRP? That has it's own regulations. It is very expensive to bring a vehicle in especially a newer big V-8. My recommendation would be to buy a vehicle here.

Hi Ed
Couple of months ago I bought a new diesel Kia Sorrento from Belize Estate (Ford and Kia Dealer). So far a good experience. I had imported Nissan Path Finder (new) Silverado (used) Diesel Suburban  and a Dump truck. Expensive experiences ,but served the purpose. A break down in the jungle at night will be very frustrating if not dangerous. I am hoping by buying a new vehicle I am taking less of a chance.  There are many new make and models of  vehicles available in Belize which we did not have  few years ago. Mahindra ,Toyota ,VW ,Ford, Kia, Mitsubishi,Isuzu all seem to be good.

My husband and I are looking to buy a vehicle when we arrive in Belize in May/June of this year.  If anyone knows of a good, used, solid vehicle (4WD) that can withstand the Coastal "highway" please let me know at taunya[at]ktlodging.com.  We are moving to Gales Point.

Thanks!

Hello Folks,
Is there a dealer that sells Chinese made scooters or trikes in Planncia?
Thanks, David

A friend of mine brought his new jeep from the states. The salesman said he could get warranty service in Belize, NOT SO. He is going round and round with Chrysler without satisfaction. I would recommend either bring an SUV several years old or get one here. The roads here beat up a vehicle pretty bad.

My understanding is that the duty is 'amortised' out over a period of 5 years, then no duty owed.

Thats good news!  Thank you

I've never heard of duty on a vehicle, or on anything else for that matter, being amortized.
Can you share your source, farmertom?

No, I believe you havge to pay the duty one time.

I am not sure there is a vehicle made to withstand the punishment of continual use on the coastal.
my tundra gets beatup evertime i use it, on the bright side looks like there is a bit more maintenance lately

Good news! The Prime Minister said they will work on the Coastal Road (Manatee Highway) this year. He didn't say they would pave it but you never know.

They are also going to re-surface the Western Highway from Belmopan to Benque.

Depends where you will be living and driving regularly; by the sea the corrosion is horrendous, even if the vehicle is kept in a garage. Here, in and around Hopkins and Sittee River, the dirt roads are often under water during the rainy season, so diesel has advantages. Ground clearance is certainly necessary.

Anyone know what the actual cost for duty is to drive a vehicle into Belize from Canada?

ccaetano14 - http://www.customs.gov.bz/rate_motor_vehicles.html
Not Belize duty related, but you will also need a temporary vehicle import permit for Mexico of MXN 1,106 and pay a guarantee, depending on age of vehicle anywhere from UDS 200 to USD 400, which will be refunded to you upon exiting Mexico.

Thanks Brigitte!  Are you sure these numbers are accurate?  It seems very high to pay 70% duty on a vehicle.

Numbers are correct - and yes, the duty is very high. Get yourself a broker, and hope that he can negotiate a better deal for you.

Good idea to have a snorkel on it too