Xpats US X military VA disability benefits

Hey, glad to join up with fellows living in Ecuador.  Diane and I (Carlos) are going through exiting the USA.  Didn't thing it's so involved.  But we're anxious to get to Qioto then are new lives in Cotacachi.  Being an x-military VA disability veteran, I am concern about my preset disability claims and any type of medical exams that would be needed.  How do you get medical care that is accessible.  I would appreciate any information to relieve my anxiety.

Dear Carlos, welcome to the Ecuador forums of Expat.com...

I predict your transition will be smoother if you ask your questions to a VA representative before you exit the USA.

Communicating from Ecuador is typically more challenging, especially when an enormous bureaucracy is involved.

cccmedia

@cra1948  hello, I'm on VA disability and thinking of moving to Ecuador.  Were you able to find out more information on this as I am needing info as well?  Will we still get our benefits?

@Green Beans

These links may answer some of your questions:

There's a brief discussion here:

You may find it's easier to keep your stateside bank and accounts, as well as a stateside mailing address (perhaps of family or a friend) where you can have correspondence sent to when emails won't do the trick.  Pay for bills in Ecuador when possible with your stateside credit card.  Use the ATM machines as necessary to get cash in Ecuador - USAA and Schwab and perhaps others, will reimburse any ATM fees.
  I hope you get more satisfactory information.

For US Veterans considering the Ecuador expat life, this might help you

*Foreign Medical Program*
Foreign Medical Program Benefits and Claims Information

The Foreign Medical Program is a U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) health care benefits program for U.S. Veterans who are residing or traveling abroad and have VA-rated, service-connected disabilities. Under FMP, VA assumes payment responsibility for certain necessary health care services associated with the treatment of those service-connected disabilities.

The VHA Office of Community Care in Denver, Colo., administers the program and is responsible for all aspects of it, including the Veteran's registration process, verification of eligibility, authorization of benefits and the processing and payment of claims. All FMP inquiries should be made directly to VHA CC.

@cra1948

Also i pay out of pocket and get private care. A complete blood panel and urinalysis runs about $25. The consult costs me $6 with insurance, $25 without. In Guayaquil

Hey, glad to join up with fellows living in Ecuador.  Diane and I (Carlos) are going through exiting the USA.  Didn't thing it's so involved.  But we're anxious to get to Qioto then are new lives in Cotacachi.  Being an x-military VA disability veteran, I am concern about my preset disability claims and any type of medical exams that would be needed.  How do you get medical care that is accessible.  I would appreciate any information to relieve my anxiety.

- @cra1948

I've checked into this and have found out that you can be reimbursed for medical services related to your V.A. disability and NOT for medical services that are NOT related to your service-connected disability(ies).  Let me see if I can relocated the form that you must submit when claiming medical services provided in Ecuador that relate to your service-connected disabilities(y). . . .  Here's a link that explains what I've been talking about:  https://www.va.gov/communitycare/programs/veterans/fmp/index.asp.  Good luck, fellow, service-connected-disabled-American-veteran!

@cra1948

Kevin Janey
Moderated by Cheryl last year
Reason : No advertising on the forum please
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
Hi Kevin,  You work for the V.A. virtually?  Never heard of such a thing.  I finally got my PTSD and MDD and bilateral hearing loss rated as 💯 % service connected because of "unemployability."  80% without the unemployability being added.  It took 15 1/2 years of continuing to appeal.  Went out of the V.A. to the U. S. Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims;  it was remanded and the V.A. didn't do what the Court ordered done.  Kept appealing and finally got my claim sent to the VARO in Cleveland, Ohio (out of the South where it was always denied) because I moved to Ohio.  I got a call from a Rater in Cleveland and he said my claim should have been settled years ago.  He actually apologized!   He's the guy who finally did me right and approved my claim. . . .
@Coxhere1

Hello! No, I don't work for VA, I am an accredited "claims agent," which is basically an independent VSO authorized by VA's Office of the General Council to represent veterans before VA. I can't post my website here, so if you need my contact info, just send me a private message and I'll get that to you.

Kevin Janey