Opening a bank account

Hi guys,

I am newbie here so apologies if my question is too trivial!
Is it possible to open a bank account in Turkey without Ikamet? If so, which banks do that?

I was told that it is possible, but today went to a Ziraat bank branch and they told me no.

thanks.

If you have utility bills with proof of address (doesn't matter where), passport, and maybe tax id. Kuveyt Türk Bank can open an account without an Ikamet. (Please check online information first for list of required documents)

Hello,I have passport  and I want to open a bank account in Istanbul,  also I'm searching for places to teach English, if some one can help me at this issue pls let me know.

Hello my name is Dennis.

I came to Kusadasi Turkey 9 weeks ago. While still in the USA I employed a lawyer who took me through all the documents and paperwork, set up appointments with the govt. organizations to make my transition to Turkey as smooth as possible. Before I was able to open a bank account here I first needed a tax ID no. and a residence approval form. My lawyer was able to get everything I needed within 2 to 3 weeks. If you are interested in contacting this lawyer, whom I recommend very highly, please let me know and I can get you his contact information. Most of the questions I had at the time were answered prior to me actually signing an agreement with him. He was inexpensive and very thorough.

If I can help you with any other issues, please let me know.

your Friend
Dennis

Hi Dennis,

Would you please share the lawyer contact info and rough cost ?

Thanks,
Ahmad

20211130. Hello! I inform You, that a "tax iD" of which you are talking was sufficient for obtaining the right to open a bank account in my case. This is possible perhaps to make more complicated? I have not digged into the matter. If you have bought something from a merchant/seller   to be paid on invoice (meaning later), then that invoice could serve as a proof of confidence (perhaps). And could be used to strengthen your case opening a bank account./LG :/

20211130. Tell me:What passport have You? Iran? Afganistan? Sudan? Are You able to go there as a tourist?/LG.

20211130. Hello, did they say why? I think that it is possible to go there as a tourist and apply for the proper documents from the tax authorities in place./LG.

Just came across this old message of your request for contact with the Lawyer I used in Turkey. Am not sure U ever sent it to you. [email protected]
If I never sent it to you I apologize.

Dennis

We bought a property a few weeks ago and to our experience opening a bank account is easy (even without utility bill), we refused however we wanted a bank with proper internet banking in English (in our case Garanti), Very easy just for your utility bill and you are set (but can be with other banks without.
Lawyers no needed, but I have to admit we have been getting support from our real estate agency (not needed in this case other hurdles where support is needed though)

I opened accounts with Garanti and HSBC as soon as I arrived. After obtaining a tax number, I followed these instructions and went to the bank. I'm not sure if this would still work because I've heard it's becoming more difficult, but imagine you're looking to buy a house. They did request my passport and a second ID, which was my driver's license with my home address.

[link moderated]

This was also discovered by me...

Moderated by Djameel last year
Reason : No external links on the forum please.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
Kuwait Turk Bank has a great service  especially dealing with currencies.The moment you enter their door.Don't scare female employees have turbans ,very customer friendly.Do not close off U.S. bank accounts for tax returns and social security pay,you will need it.Yapi Kredi Bank is another good one  ,there is no limit ,it comes to service,they open up for me even investment account ,assigned a lady to invest my money.Once open account ,all you need their apps and ATMs .No old school check writing here  avoid any kind of checks.Cash is king in this country,always keep some cash in the pocket but pay with debit card.Citibank looks like only U.S.Bank.There is HSBC but never bother them.I got bad experience with them.ING is another one here,really bad , I believe it is a Dutch bank.
I just have to repeat myself, things are easy (I think), utility bill and passport should be more then sufficient, ofcourse Ikamet and proof of ownership of property will hel as well as foreing ban-accounts, but the first two really should be sufficient, I would be surprised if a bank would refuse you.

No need for stress in my view, easy. (Lots of stress on other topics but that is another topic)

@cdw057 You'll need a tax number regardless of whether you have a passport or a utility bill.

Even online banks ask tax ID etc.If you are visitor in any modern country,they will not open an account.You have to establish residency first,prove your identity with passport if you are not citizen,if you are Turkish citizen any goverment issued ID will be fine.As you understand,money laundering,where did you get your money ?issues.Turkish government likes taking his share ,you will pay your taxes. No Scott free life in Turkey.Do not close off your bank accounts before leaving The U.S. You will need two US credit cards for rent a car ,buy airplane tickets and check-in hotel just in case you can't open an account in Turkey

@d4zt7bsj of course a tax number, but that is the easy part through real estate agent.

@Baybars Zaimoglu Of course keep your accounts active, I have accounts in Netherlands, Luxembourg and Hungary, works quite fine, but for normal things I like to deal with my turkish account

BUT do not forget even In U.S there are thousands of illegal aliens live without tax  ITN  ,bank account more than 20 years .Hard to believe it but forget Turkey, if people can make it in U.S without those, you can make it in Turkey 100 years.In Turkey ,cash is still king,Power of $ 100 bill is quite amazing opens every door.You have to see eyes of Turkish people when you  put on table .But this touchless cards are something else,you don't  know $1 bill where gets out .I do not want to discourage illegals in Turkey but pretty annoying roadblocks to get illegals here.It is like Texas border ,you have to prove your status in here.Izmir is becoming Trans shipment point for illegals to catch a boat to Greek islands,Good old days ,all you need to catch midnight express
@Baybars Zaimoglu I prefer to things by the book even if giving incentivives to do things real properly. Cash might be king right now, but proving things good could help you in the future, for bigger things I ONLY pay by bank and well documented. Things might be accepted now, but one might go back in history. (I have seen this in other countries).

Admittedly I have a good situation (coming from Schengen) , we have asked to do things in cash (even big things), but even if payment through bank is attractive to most.

I just want an easy life and so far this works out quite fine.

Rules can change!
I'm not advocating anything illegal,of course you play by book.But not everyone lucky ,many Africans are reading this forum and hard to get tax ID or SSN here, I will give them a little heads up.That's all .If you buy a house more than $400000 value,you get citizenship here but in USA you may get a green card,too.Always get a good immigration lawyer before you apply anything.
On bank accounts, currently in Turkey are things are fine and keeping balances in EUR/USD, however, things can happen and I prefer to keep my balances outside of Turkey, max EUR 50 K combined for me and my wife (we have a few different accounts). Nobody knows what happens in the future with the fianancial system (and local banks). Insurance is only TRY 100.000 K as I understand, in Schengen typically this is EUR 100.000 K per account.

Banks (I am with Garanti) in Turkey are good though in my view.

Many countries offer something for money, does not have to be Turkey, if you have USD 400.000 there are many options, having said that I like Alanya in Turkey and did not really consider Carribean Islands, I did consider Nambia and Portugal though (both have some serious drawbacks as to compare with Turkey (in our case Alanya)

Happy here (for now), but I am curious what happens before and after elections, can be horribe for expats (depending), on the other side Turkey does REALLY need expats.

Yes a chaotic post, but yes also true