Bringing a Small Dog to Mauritius

Hello there,

I am from London, UK and I would like to eventually live in Mauritius. It will probably would be on a Retirement Visa as I am nearly 52yrs old so would qualify.

Initially, I would like to come for maybe one year and I understand it would be quite straight forward to get a Premium Visa for that. However, everywhere I read states that to bring a dog onto the island with me, I need a Residence Visa. I cannot read anywhere if it is possible on a Retirement Visa or not.

Furthermore when I reached out a Mauritian Company online that deal with shipments etc, they explicitly said I can bring my dog on an import animal permit and all I would need is a Tourist Visa or Premium Visa if I want to stay for a year.

Can anyone please clarify this for me.

a) Can I bring my dog from the UK (with the relevant documents for him and health checks etc) on a Premium Visa.

b) Can I bring my dog from the UK (with the relevant documents for him and health checks etc) on a Retirement Visa.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

We brought our dogs from the UK on a retirement permit . As for the premium visa this is quite new and was not an option.

Thank you so much for your response! So it is possible on a retirement visa. Did you use an agency to help with all the documentation? Could you possibly recommend anyone? Thanks in advance.

We used animal Couriers near Gatwick and airpets relocations here in Mauritius if you send me a personal message I will forward you the contact details of both of these very helpful companies
Martin