Traveling with pet dog from US

Does anyone know how the US CDC rabies ban on 113 countries affect traveling back to the states from DR?

Yes it does. They are prohibited!

How do I go home with her

markrosenbaum51 wrote:

How do I go home with her

Check this site. It looks like there are some limited exceptions to the ban with a CDC Dog Import Permit, which must be requested at least 6 weeks in advance.  It looks like the only port of entry for this is JFK.

The ban doesn't go into effect until July 14 so if you can take your dog back home before then, that would be the safest bet.

Agreed get the dog out of here asap!  Or it could be stranded here for months!

Doesn't make any sense.  Why vaccinate the animal against rabies over a course of years if  they are just going to exclude it because of a rabies outbreak?  It can't have the rabies disease can it?  They must be saying any vaccinated dogs can be carriers, only explanation.

snowinpalm wrote:

Doesn't make any sense.  Why vaccinate the animal against rabies over a course of years if  they are just going to exclude it because of a rabies outbreak?  It can't have the rabies disease can it?  They must be saying any vaccinated dogs can be carriers, only explanation.

The problem is that people fake the paperwork, so they've decided it's best not to take the risk of an animal coming in from a high-risk country with a fake certificate. They provide a workaround for those returning to the US with a dog through the Dog Import Permit.

We brought our dog down here in December and it was a traumatic experience! I can't imagine flying him back and forth with me on vacation! We view this as a one-time transport! We moved here permanently in July but waited until we had residency before bringing him in. If we had brought him earlier, there would have been a risk of having to take him home if our residency wasn't approved.

Hello all,
Can anyone give me a definitive answer as to how long before our arrival in the Dominican, does our dog have to go to the Vet. We have read anywhere from 3 days to 15 days. Our issue is that we leave Canada the Tuesday following Labour Day, therefore it is not possible to get him into the Vet 3 days before we leave.
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers.

International Certification has to be within 10 days of arrival.

**I tried to delete the comment below but couldn't. :)
I read the CDC site. This seems to only apply to importation of dogs. Not traveling with your own dog.

Just so I understand are you all saying that if we brought our dog from the US to the DR with us, just for 10-12 days, there is some new US law that won't let us take her back into the states?

Yes.  DR is on the "high risk" list and the following applies: https://www.cdc.gov/importation/bringin … rmit.html.

CDC Dog Import Permits will NOT be issued for:
        Dogs intended for other purposes, such as adoption, resale, or transfer of ownership.
     [u]   Dogs that will accompany owners on short-term travel to and from high-risk countries. (This is a change from the Egypt dog suspension policy.)[/u]

July 14 (?) it starts - the ban

That is correct Willie.  They gave people time to get systems in place I assume. AND for some to get their dogs back home before the  changes.

Finnigan wrote:

Hello all,
Can anyone give me a definitive answer as to how long before our arrival in the Dominican, does our dog have to go to the Vet. We have read anywhere from 3 days to 15 days. Our issue is that we leave Canada the Tuesday following Labour Day, therefore it is not possible to get him into the Vet 3 days before we leave.
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers.

I don't know what the Canadian equivalent of USDA is, but I believe you need more than just a vet visit. We brought our dog from the US last December and we had to see the vet for the health certificate and then get it back and forth to the USDA office for their certification, all within the 10 days prior to travel.