Moving with dog to Dominican Republic

Hi! I'm moving to the Puerto Plata around March 2011. I am having problems finding information about what the requirements are to take my dog into the country. He is originally from Mexico, where I lived for 5 years (I adopted him in 2005). My husband and I then came to Italy (I am an Italian citizen) last year with our dog, a black labrador type with rottweiler colors. Of course he has all the needed documentation for the journey from Mexico to Italy: a European micro-chip and a European passport (necessary to export him from Italy), health certificate, rabies vaccination, etc.

I have found various governmental documents on the internet (for example:agricultura.gob.do/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=Mq5TpGxnuVU%3D&tabid=282&mid=798), but they all seem to be describing import of animals for commercial use.

Can anybody who has had this experience enlighten me a little? I don't want to put him in qurantine or anything like as he has abandonment issues...

Thank you very much,
Vanessa

To bring a dog here you need:
Health certificate from your vet filled out within two weeks of travel
Rabies vaccine that was given more then 30 days before coming here and less then one year
A $10 "import" fee to be paid here when you land with the dog

That is all you need.  There is no quarantine here for the dog.

Bob K

Really? Is it that easy??? Wow!!! It's much more complicated to move him back to Mexico!!!

Thanks Bob!!! I still want to contact the Dominican embassy in italy just to make sure that the rules from Europe aren't different (wouldn't want a nasty surprise when I arrive).

Thanks a bunch!!!

Hi Bob!! and Nessye
We just 'imported' our spaniel cross from Spain with no problem at all. The rules in Europe are pretty much standard - just make sure your pet carrier box is big enough as the airline rules are very stringent! Once Bosun (our dog) landed, he sailed through immigration and is now very happy to be here as are we
Dee and Paul in Miches

Thank you so much !!

Please note this is an old thread and things may  have changed.

From what I've read, the dogs are only allowed to come into either Punta Cana or Santo Domingo. Does anyone know if this is still the case? It would be much easier for my family to fly into Puerto Plata.

Flew our dog into Puerto Plata a number of times.  Latest just over a week ago. Make sure you have DR paper work from you vet (from Florida it also has to be certified by the state). You will have to go to animal control room after customs and pay fee. I believe it was 400 pesos

Great thank you.

Yup, we flew 2 dogs into Peurto Plata a month ago, no issues. $20 US, and out the door you go.  It seems too simple, but as long as you have the paperwork in order, you're golden.

Can you tell me what the process looks like? You go through customs, then go get the dogs? Or are they there when you get off the plane? Just curious thank you.

In cabin can fly into Santiago too.

In POP, we went through customs first, and then got our baggage.  We heard our dog, so we just asked an employee, and they took my wife to the dogs, examined all our paperwork for them, I signed a form, paid my $20, and out we went with help from the staff.  Super easy, as it's a small airport.  The Agriculture Ministry is just beyond the baggage claim area, on the left before you leave the airport.  Much easier than getting the dogs on the plane in Toronto.  MUCH easier.