Bringing exotic animals to DR?

Hi!

There is plenty information about bringing your dog or cat to Dominican Republic, but I was wondering if they would allow you to bring your ferret or an opossum? Do I need some special permit? Somebody knows where I could find this info? Thank you!

Wow I have never seen that question here so I am not sure.  You should check with the government web site on importing animals.  You might also want to contact Monkey Jungle (here in Sosua and in Punta Cana as well) and see if they can give you some information as they have imported their monkeys.

Bob K

S9me types of animals are NOT  permitted. Check with a lawyer and then with the airlines!

Contacting Monkey Jungle is a great idea, thank you Bob!
I work for animal rescue and I want to start a little volunteer project to go to the schools and teach kids about animals,  I think they would love to see an Opossum and be able to learn about them, kids usually are fascinated with animals, and if we teach them compassion from the start...great things happen. Will see what can be done about it and I will try to find the "forbidden" animals list, thank you Planner!

YOu are welcome  and good luck
Bob K

I would start with animals they know!   So many kids are afraid of dogs and cats here,  teach them how to treat what is already here honey!

I lived for20 years n St, Croix USVI. I had a yellow Nape Amazon parrot named Chile. She lived in my restaurant, knew the regulars by name,did tricks. She was an amazing bird. When I wanted to move to the DR & bring her along, OH,OH, nada. A vets documentation tha she was not born in the wild, free of parasites & diseases etc. Then a 60 day quarantine without any contact with other animals or me. I had to be tested for parrot fever etc. Her value would be taxed to the tune of $3,000 USD. Needless to say it was more than I could bear.  I found her an excellent home with a French Birder.  Chile was famous in the Virgin Islands.  From being bird napped to testifing in court, (True story).  I cried when she went to her new home.   It has been 15 years & I still miss her.  I hope that you have better luck than I did. The Monkey Jungle is more than what its' name implies. Wonderful people doing wonderful things for the poor. Visit them, you will be amazed. They use the income to provide medical care for the local poor.   I'm now raising & training a young dog abandoned  after Maria passed by.  Good luck, I know how you feel.

Hi guys,

New to the group. I have been searching doe a week now with the embassy here in camada and in the DR as well as pet travel companies and I'm getting no where. Can anyone tell me if I can bring my iguana with me when I move there and if so what I need to do this.. permits, payments, contacts etc.

Thank you so much

I believe the answer is no.

I guess it depends on the animal. I'm going to be contacting Dominican pet travel agencies. I will post here again when I find a good one!

Just saw a news story the other day about hunting in the DR.  The Green Iguana was on the list of Invasive Species, and to be destroyed on sight.  danielleschultz5, I think that may be a clear indication that you can't import your iguana.

Found the story; here is the link.

https://www.diariolibre.com/planeta/med … rd/2378548

Thanks for finding it!

Are there any legal restrictions here with regard to owning an F1 Savannah cat? I have not been able to find any specific references. Thanks!