Expat non-muslim women in Eygpt

Is it safe for western women to drink, smoke and dress to their own style without restrictions?

Well! It's a matter of what- where situation. There are places one can have freedom to be as they want, and other places that have restrictions which must be respected.  Even in western countries, one can't wear a bikini in the office or in a school. There are smoking areas for smokers and non smoking areas for those who don't smoke.

It's a matter of respecting others' freedom beside theirs. To do that one needs to balance things over. It depends on the communities you are mixing with. For example, it's not appropriate to eat meat in a vegetarian/ vegan gathering! You may be facing unwelcoming gestures for your disrespectful behavior. 

The main point here, respecting the place you are in and the people you are dealing with, will always guide you to choose what is convenient each time you need to choose what to wear and what to say or do.

To sum up, for moving in the streets, beside the respect you need to hold inside, it is safe to wear whatever you want if you are walking in confidence and not afraid of people's reaction. No one would dare even to look at you. Being afraid and expecting bullying will simply attract it to you very easily.

I am not a woman but I have concerns for my daughter and partner when I come to Egypt. I have been doing some research and there are some alarming events in Egypt which in my opinion raise concerns. https://youtu.be/VZmdhwd3axw

Well!
What I said applies for everyone, not only women. As I said, with respecting, choosing what to do where, and being confident, your daughter will always be safe in any place allover the world.

In a crowded street, full of people, why a thief picks only one to rob? Why only that victim? It's simply because that one chose to be the victim. It's always a matter of vibes one chooses to be in.

Feeling safe comes from the inside. If one does not feel it, no police offer can bring it even if one has an officer with them in every step.

For your daughter, if she can't FEEL safe she won't be! No matter where she stays and what she wears or does. Either in Egypt or anywhere else.

The link above seems to have been removed. If you google "Egypt: Epidemic of Sexual Violence" and click on the video option, you will find the video I was referring to. It was created by human rights watch who interviewed many women who were subjected to horrific acts of sexual violence for merely peacefully protesting. I don't think this happened to men.

I do understand your concerns as a father!It's your complete right to guarantee safety for your daughter. I am a mother too and I have two teens daughters. We live in Cairo in one of the new prestejous cities. When we are in our neighborhood, they wear shorts and sleeveless tops. However, they can't wear these stuff in the streets of downtown or in some other neighborhoods in which it is unacceptable to see these types of clothing, for men and women by the way. Men are also exposed to bullying if they are wearing inappropriate clothing and they may be considered as gays and they can face sexual harassment in those areas. You won't see that in a video but it can easily happens.
Bullying doesn't leave no one.

However, if we think about the bad things we sure will attract them to our lives. What we can do is to behave in a balanced way, without fear or recklessness. It's the mechanism of facing a dog with fear, the dog will attack you! If there's no fear it won't happen. It is that simple. The bullyer attacks in the same mechanism.

The title of your topic holds a thought of fear for your daughter of being non Muslim in Egypt and that she won't be safe for that reason. Well! There are non Muslim Egyptian girls live here in Egypt and they are safe.  And there are Muslim girls and women who are totally covered and they are not safe.

You may convince your daughter not to come to Egypt as she won't be safe. But let me ask you a simple question, doesn't sexual harassment happens everywhere? What I believe is SAFTEY is an inner belief and has nothing to do with appearance.

My TRULY advice, as a parent and a healer , if there's fear of coming here don't let her come. However, the "unjustified fear" , either inside you or her, must be healed, as you will keep suffering, even if she lives in a room next to your room in your house.