School Options for Non-Swedish Speaking 14yr old

Hoping to find some answers. I have dual citizenship with USA and Ireland. My husband is an EU citizen and just took a job in Gothenburg. I will use my EU passport and citizenship to move as well as my son who also has dual EU citizenship. I'm having a hard time finding school options. My husband is on a permanent job and I don't want to hold my son back as he will be entering what would be high school in the USA, but will still be in Middle Years in Sweden. What are my options? It appears the American school isn't opening until 2022-23 school year. It also appears Sweden does not allow any homeschooling. I wonder if they allow online school? This would solve my problem for 9th grade. Any help is appreciated!

Hello,

The Swedish model is this; Förskoleklassen/sexårs verksamheten is the start of 10 year long mandatory education, it is a year of pre preparation for school studies for six year old children.

By the time they are seven years old they start at year one. year one to year three is called lågstadium can be translated as primary level. For seven year old to nine year old students.

Then from year four stats a new level which is called mellan stadium literally means "the level in between" since it is the level in between primary level and the high level. This level is from year four to six which means for ten year old to twelve year old students.

Then the final level of this ten year long compulsory education starts at year seven to nine which is called hög stadium high level or can also be translated as high school (if you like it better). This level is for thirteen year old to fifteen year old students. So supposedly your 14 year old son will start in the middle year of the three high school years which is year eight and not something called "middle years" as you have understood it. I hope this would clarify things better.

And answer to your other question is NO they don't allow any other way than traditional school attendance and all that come with it. All the best!