Why there's not many meetup group in Philippines ?

I am writing in this blog not to advertise but to encourage others who have not gone to visit the site to create or form a meetup group.

Wherever I go, I never have a problem of meeting groups with like-minded people. I simply just go to one website and look for activities and off I go and do that activity.

For those who doesn't know what I am talking about, this website I've been a member since 2006. When I visited countries such as Australia, Hong Kong, Singapore and UK, even if I am just only staying for few weeks, I never have a problem of looking for something to do. For example I type hiking or clubbing or salsa dance, something will always come up. Then I rsvp in order that I would be included in the count.

My last visit to Singapore, I went hiking and to think that I just arrive a day before. When I was in Hong Kong, I went hiking in China. As for expenses, dont worry, this group is the cheapest to join, just contribute for petrol and other expenses mentioned by the organizer.

The meetup group is something that I always miss in California (but not for long now) because there's a lot of meetup group there, from north to south of the state, from hiking to surfing to clubbing. And if you are a single person, there's also a group for that.

I am a peak bagger, it may be foreign words to many people but it simply means, go to the mountains, hike or climb until you reach to the top and eat lunch at the top, when done we crossed-out the name of that mountain from our list and climb another peak next time.

Can you believe that in just a matter of few months, I've been to more than 50 mountains. I accomplished climbing a lot of mountains through the help or meetup organizers and that does not include overseas trips.

I love it, not because I am meeting a variety of personalities but I see the breath-taking views right in front of my eyes. Its a healthy lifestyle and great exercise and very educational. I also learned from my hiking meetup group where is north pole and south pole, actual practice of using a compass, maps and other gps device. We always arranged for carpool and the only fee I paid was the yearly membership fee ranging from $20 to $50 (depending how many groups you joined). The meetup payment fees are usually voluntary.

A typical meetup group involves activities. What I find in the Philippines meetup group though are web developers, photography, marketing or business meetup group. I have not found an activity meetup group that has mountaineering, snorkelling, mtb or scuba diving, clubbing, pub crawl, etc.

I am wishing that with my posting in this bloggers forum, someone might be interested and may create a meetup group. 

Creating a meetup group is not free (a monthly subscription is due) but over time it would generate income and perks for the main organizer. A meetup is a face-to-face meetup and membership approval is up to the organizer.

I would love to create a meetup group, but I only stay in the Philippines for few months and have no clue when to come back again.

Perhaps an expatriate or local can create one and call it "Filipinos and Expats Social and Recreational Meetup group" (*wink*).

For those who are interested, but still do not know what I am talking about, then shoot me an email.

I live in Davao, I can furnish you site like:
http://www.siargaodivers.com/activities/scuba-diving/ (For diving)(Siargao is in north of davao) For Mountain climbing, You know the famous Mt. Apo there's a lot of Organization and Clubs for that. A lot of mountaineering just create their group and climb, no reg. fee or membership but you know the consequences if something will happen to them. But then I guess there's alot of member can share or give you their idea about creating a group for a any  outdoors activities. I know some club for outdoor activities that do some  Background check before they can join the Club (which is a file of crap and full of  ..) But you know you have brilliant idea, why not create it doesnt matter if you only stay here for a short period. Thanks for your contributions anyway..

Honeyclotte,

That's not what I meant. I've looked at several sites just to do activities but most of the sites are owned by business owners promoting a business.

Its nothing like meetup groups where each event is a leaderless activity. Every member is expected to behave and responsible for their own safety... and members are pretty much like minded..

For example: Meetup hiking group in Hong Kong

http://www.meetup.com/hongkonghikinggroup/

Singles group in Brisbane, Australia

http://www.meetup.com/The-All-my-friend … /19897571/

Salsa Dance in Manila

http://www.meetup.com/Salsa-Manila/

Joining the meetup is free, just simply create an account. But joining the group is not free but I never been ask to pay group membership upfront, but of course, if a member joined several events, its just right thing to pay up.

Just for information, after meetup was created, a lot of people have gone out doing activities without paying exorbitant membership fee just to join a club.

I think meetup is very brilliant idea. It takes people off their computers and smart phones.

HI there,

I guess I am presuming you are now based here in Manila right? In your profile it says you are in SFO and you are Filipina. Please verify exactly your location and I will hook you up with people who likes to go mountaineering or hiking. Would you like to do kayaking too?

I wish I can do what you love to do but I am limited to do that physically. I don't mind playing badminton though :) I've been setting up meet ups but I haven't been successful in getting commitments once the date is set. I got a lot of responses wanting to attend, but when I set up the date, they will all disappear :) We will try again soon if you want,let me know where you are based at.

Pinaymentor

@ pinaymentor

I've given up finding fellow like minded people. So far majority of the women in the Philippines dislike doing anything that expose themselves in direct sunlight as nobody is interested to get their skin darker... I really do not understand that mindset but I'm not going waste my time looking for answer.....but it sure does say something how backward people are.

I am in Makati and leaving in 5 weeks... am working so hard to go back to California so I can take advantage of the climbing season. California is simply the best in outdoors and Californians are cool and very outdoorsy people.

Yes I remember you posted an event around easter holiday and got cancelled. Its what I talk about organzing the event, with meetup.com, its so much easier to use, as the member just look at the calendar. Who does want to follow through a thread of messages? I certainly do not have the time for that when I am always reading messages whether important or not. How much more for other bloggers who doesn't really care about meeting but with the calendar, a user simply look at the dates and rsvp accordingly.

The simple answer to your headline question is, Filipinos are freeloading citizens, unless you are paying for the party, you won't hear any meetup paying on your own.

I was invited to many group parties and I was asked each time to pay the whole check.

female_expat wrote:

The meetup group is something that I always miss in California (but not for long now) because there's a lot of meetup group there, from north to south of the state, from hiking to surfing to clubbing. And if you are a single person, there's also a group for that.

Is there a meetup group for moms in Metro Manila?  I'm not good at starting one.  But I do wish there's one here. 

I miss my meetup group back in San Francisco of moms with babies 3 years old and below. We'd have a schedule of activities, and receive email reminders, to which we can rsvp back.  Good support group too, especially for first time moms. 

There is a nominal fee, but it's mainly to maintain our rsvp system and to compensate the main movers who do most of the planning. 

The rule is once your youngest baby turns 3, you're out.  Not surprisingly, moms strategically space their children's ages to stay with the group as long as they can.