Loneliness when you're abroad

[moderated: off topic]

Now a days there are many ways like www, wechat, viber and many things else like
for me watching movies on line and even buying a cheap pirated DVD and throw it after you watch here in Beijing, China.

But the most is PRAYING OUT LOUD IN MY SPIRIT.
Silence is prayer itself.

Go away with the crowds and sleep:)

Hi there

it's normal u feel lonely when u r abroad but what about when u r with ur family and u still feel complaitly lost and lonly?!!! that's what I actualy feel and I know exactly what r the possible solutions to solve this problem but I can't do anything I feel helpless... and to kill time and stop my brain from thinking to much I started to learn new things everything and read novels and most the time it works so u can try that....

good luck

Hello Mike
still lonely, write when you want.

Dear why dont u visit india , people in india does not live in lonliness, they are very rich in culture n live in joint family . so come to us n live yr life like a family with u. thanks

in the beginning i guess i felt a little bit of loneliness but then i also know that working abroad would be the best thing to do for myself and my family.I have always been independent so it was easier for me to cope with life away from family.

loneliness is one of the major problem when we are in a foreign country.Few friends or no friends,the language barrier and the money causes a lot of problems.If you have a friend then initially the problem wont be so much.As the time elapses we try to make new friends and acquaintances this makes our friend, who helped us jealous if he/she is possessive. If possessive its our bad luck coz cant stop new friendships at the same time cant be submissive to our old pal.
so my advice to the newcomers is that dont be in a hurry in making new friendships be choosy at the same time do not depend too much on any one and try doing the things by yourself.
all the best
khasimvali

getting depressed

I can honestly say  have never been lonely in all the years I have lived and worked overseas. 

Working 7 days a week for up to 9 months at a time before going out on break,I have never had enough time on my hands to sit around and feel lonely.

I always call my family daily and chat to them after which I don't feel lonely but actually refreshed.

I'm a very outgoing person and require lots of interaction to keep from feeling lonely.  I have had ups and downs in Vietnam but generally don't find it hard to make friends.  Some times I just miss my friends that require no effort to be around, the ones that you can simply be around with no agenda and enjoy each others company.  I have made it a habit to always take people up on offers to go do things, it's amazing how quickly your network can grow with a couple events.  Always stay positive and remember that sometimes loneliness is a necessary trade off for enjoying all the benefits of being an expat!

Heh mike
My husband manfred and i would like to meet friends in croatia .we want to move to split. Where are you living now?
Have a supwr sarurday
Gloria

I am living in Cyprus

hi... if I miss my family and my friends, I will be contacting them through communication technologies such as whatsapp or Yahoo messenger or FB, and others. distance is far, but it can be treated by looking at them and converse over a network.

Im lucky because im in arab country which has nice peoples. I work with female friend from local. even if you see them always covered by black abaya but they are fee in side... I dont feel lonely at all...they let me to see the beautiful side of this country and if i have time i do video call with my mom and sister in indonesia...

thnkfst, you are right - people from Vancouver ARE flaky and not very friendly. You are not alone in this assumption. I know one cannot generalise but I found Vancouver a very depressing place with a level of homelessness quite shocking for a small city of this size. Personally, I found Toronto a much friendlier city but it has been quite a while since I have been there. Hope everything works out for you!

It is important to pick new hobbies like photography and develop interest in local culture, museums, etc.

How often?  only weekends or always day and night...

I am hoping to see it ... May I

Just got another idea.. If people can pair up here on this forum, they wont be lonely.   What do u think..

Hello,  I am in Saudi Arabia on a compound of all foreign staff who teach at a university.  Not much social things to do outside, but people here plan many social events (weekend pot luck diner, hiking,..)  to avoid being lonely.  It works.  Many teach English ESL and are happy with the pay they get.
I think there is a relationship between what you do and feeling lonely.

Brasil seems to be the opposite - full of social activities to do.  I am eager to know what you do.  You can eml me [email protected]

i can't cry while having hardships in life but i can only cry when it comes to ''loneliness'' ;) until now during night time my tears are falling while sleeping,i want to go back to my country but i must earn money more for my sisters and brothers who are students.my ways to enjoy my days here in China are reading,chatting,especially talking with God and to smile everyday ...hmmmm

try to get some natives around and try meeting them often . This works ....start visting the food and eateries serving your native dishes. you will be able to talk in your language and meet new people from your land. This will help you a lot .cheers...

I am just waiting for the right person to talk with

I used to live in different culture I have no problem with that also I like to meet people from other culture really very interesting

Well it depends on how long your staying on that particular area.As for me if its for short stay i won't get bored at all!!! :)

I Agree with you .. ones become long you need a good company

It is true that living abroad is entirely different the way you live in your motherland. Aside from the place which is really different, the language may be diffrent as well but also the people, society and culture is definetly different.

When I was new here in Kuwait, I struggled the same way but through the times, everything is getting fine. We have to be adoptable to place and people. We, the expats are the one to adjust and they are not the one to adjust for us. For me, this principle works well, if you are nice to people, they might be nice to you as well.

Whenever I missed my family and friends in the Philippines, I called them. If you don't have much penny to buy loads, then go to malls and have some wifi connection and start chatting your friends. It would be fine if you have skype. It is important that you have a constant communication with them.

Also, prayers are helpful. Whatever your current situations are, God is just a call away.

God bless everyone.
Hope you have a nice stay wherever you are.

thank you,

Mark

I agree with Jodi Picoult, when she said:

“Let me tell you this: if you meet a loner, no matter what they tell you, it's not because they enjoy solitude. It's because they have tried to blend into the world before, and people continue to disappoint them.”

For my self when I feel lonley I just call my mum....

Domi wrote:

I started to work in cafes in Australia when I arrived there and met most of my friends like that ...of course if you work in an office, it's not the same environment but still, I think  work is the best way to start fitting in

I am often feel lonely even I'm not abroad.

me too but i use to raom around , go to BBQ try to talk wid new people around , use to come in the aprtment late so that i can sleep directly without thinking much.

Yes, nice thinking, but just feel lonely because of some reasons ....:)

yeah you tend to miss your family alot. :(

its natural and every body felt same like u

Yes I understand and the odd in this story is that we shame to open our heart to stranger, although we would like to.

yes absolutly right

I often feel lonely when I was in a strange city.walking along with strange person. all the things could even let me felt a kind of scare. afraid to lost,afraid to have. :(

u r right, its natural,

In reply to thnkfst's post on page 1, I completely empathise. Unfortunately, this is a North American phenomenon (USA and Canada). People here are extremely flaky and superficial. What irks me is that on the phone or to your face they will say let's meet up or hang out. When the day or time comes they don't show. If you call they don't answer if you text they don't answer. If you are lucky you will get some excuse but it will be a text message.

I had one situation in the beginning where I was naive. The person made me go on a wild goose chase from one spot to the next. I finally realised this and just settled at a place and tried to make the best of it.

Live your expat project without any stress thanks to advice from expats

OR