Loneliness when you're abroad

Same here...reached Bristol on 1st Apr 2013...still trying to get used to living alone...@[email protected] in Bristol interested to have a new friend to eat..watch movie...travel or just walk around? Hahaaa...

Welcome to Bristol Wendy. Hope you will like it there. Its for sure a change from Singapore, but make the most of your time there as it will fly by... ;)

Jaz :cool:

Wendy Lim wrote:

Same here...reached Bristol on 1st Apr 2013...still trying to get used to living alone...@[email protected] in Bristol interested to have a new friend to eat..watch movie...travel or just walk around? Hahaaa...

I'm a little outside Bristol so I can't actually help you but, if you want to find friends from Sing, just ask around the local Chinese restaurants/take aways.

They like people from Malaysia and Singapore as they tend to have pretty reasonable English skills la.

Hope that helps la.

保罗

Wendy, Expat.com has a list of different communities that exist in Bristol. Click on this link or if you want to get in touch specifically with Singaporeans click on this link -

Good luck :D

Thanks Jas! I will try my best!

Hi 保罗...I definitely missed the "la" from Singapore! Hahaa..

Alice  - I hear you!

I moved from Scotland to the USA, with my husband and two kids, almost two years ago.
We had to move because of my husband's job and as a result I had to give up my career (it wouldn't transfer over here). In retrospect I had a good like in the UK; I loved my job and had a great group of friends.

My kids have settled really well and my husband is incredibly busy at work.

I feel lonely a lot of time time. I feel that I have made a lot of effort to find friends; I go to a gym, joined a newcomers group in town, am on the PTA, volunteer at school and have got myself some work teaching part time.
But I have found that the majority of American women I meet are only superficially friendly. Initially they come across as super friendly but that's where it ends. It is very superficial. They may make vague offers to meet for coffee or take me to their favourite shops etc. but they don't actually do it. Maybe it's the area I live in but everyone seems to know each other from when their kids were tiny and loads of people were born and brought up in the same town and have close family nearby so just are not interested in making new friends.

I have managed to find a few British friends but I am so disappointed that the local Americans have not been more friendly and welcoming.

I am now trying to get myself a full time teaching job as I cannot bear the thought of spending any more time rattling around the house. I am also training for a marathon so at least I can pass a few hours each day running.

Its pretty lonely but this forum has helped,once I read posts sent I kinda feel that I will be ok

I been here for almost a month, sometimes I missed them but most of the times what i do is listening to music, going out with my friends playing basketball and work hard.

I aggree with u but life needs to go on as we r expected to be something back at home.Thetrfore we have to move on.

Even if you are with the best people and in the best places in the world you will still feel lonely when you are not with the person you are happy with.

What I miss the most on my one year study in China is my country's food, hahaha...

Glad I brought some instant food from my country, such as instant noodles =)

Cultural food identity is something we only apreciate when ur living elsewhere.

Hello,everyone.My name is Anastasya. I live in Moscow, Russia. I am a teacher in international school. And I also travel a lot) Any way, if you ever feel lonely, just contact me)))I like to go out,  have fun and  meet new people. See you soon.

Your Number................ ;-O
well don't make promises you cant keep, u sure if i call u, u will go out with me :-)
I am in Doha :-)

i get really lonely sometimes as i have no friends in Tunisia..only my husband but he works long hours..the best thing for me is the internet...fb..i am new to this site and enjoy checking in each day to look at new posts.. ...reading news from back home..and i recently got myself some rabbits..now i have many baby rabbits to care for..i talk to them a lot..even if they don't reply..at least i know my voice box is still working..lol

Dear Sandy,

Can we have some chat, I'm Expat Iraqi national and live in Egypt.

Regards
Faida

Huh...Loneliness?... Tell me about it..especially if you in a country where no one near to speak your language...
Seriously, this is the reason I join this forum.. I wish I could find at least some one to chat over Hot good Coffee..

Good luck to me and to the rest who having this Loneliness Syndrome...

Cheers

Ross Vasco

hi Ross...well it is not much comfort..but at least we know we are not the only ones suffering the loneliness syndrome..so hard when u don't talk the language...thank god for the internet!!!

Yeah..its true, Thank God, we'll be much worsen if there aint no internet.
err what should i address u, sandy or rose?

Finally, got a respond ..hehe..thanks a lot...I really appriciate  it...

Welcome to my world lonely people.

Thanks dude...lol:P

your welcome...sandyrose on here thanks!

Hello loner.. u now have this site to connect with other lonely people..not so easy sometimes in a foreign land ..and especially if you don't talk the language...all the best!

HI clause..i so miss the food from my home country..New Zealand...i try not to think about it too much,or i will start craving for some of it...kentucky fried chicken..omg!!!yummm!!! how i miss it!!!

Hello sandy... how are you doing?

Good thanks hope yr good too!

Yeah i am good too... Just back from work.

Hi Dear

Surely i feel lonely but we have to manage
Always when i outside
Miss my family
Thanks to cell Phones/Sky ip etc so tha we remain in touch and satisfied.

South africa was a sweet and lovely place you will love to spend some days especially menlyn, sunnyside, bosman, (pretoria, johannesburg due to mixed colour, and you enjoy it most with foreigners, because 80% of south african are highly racist, discrimination, funofobia most especially when it comes to employment and some other benefits they are fucking racist.

I can remember a britain friend I met in sunnypark, he told, he gonna tell everyone when he return back UK and publish it as well about racist.

South africa was a sweet and lovely place you will love to spend some days especially menlyn, sunnyside, bosman, (pretoria, johannesburg due to mixed colour, and you enjoy it most with foreigners, because 80% of south african are highly racist, discrimination, funofobia most especially when it comes to employment and some other benefits they are fucking racist.

I can remembered a britain friend I met in sunnypark, he told, he gonna tell everyone when he return back UK and publish it as well about the racist.

maickj you have said it all, you only enjoy been friends with foreigner like you, it's cool and lovely while walking with other foreigners but south african are highly racist, most especially uneducated people and those living in location.

You are around where sorry!
I stay in pretoria, off andries.

I just came up with the greatest reply ever.  Too bad no one will ever see it.

Hello All,

I came to Saudi Arabia in 2008.

It was very difficult in the beginning when i arrived .. New people, Not enough money ... dont ask ...

Plus job hunting was a pain as things dont work out here if u dont know anyone.. Still with Allah's mercy i got a job in a Freight Forwarding company and i changed my profession from Accounts to a Logistics ...

My first vacation was good but when coming back ..... i was even thinking to unboard the flight till the last moment ... Lolz ..

maickj wrote:

South Africans are xenophobic and for me I made many friends who are also foreigners. I also avoided living in areas where there are many uneducated South Africans because they dont accept foreigners especially if they have good jobs. I never felt lonely though because there are lots of things to do, it is easy to make friends who are also non South Africans.

tajutalk2me wrote:

I can remember a britain friend I met in sunnypark, he told, he gonna tell everyone when he return back UK and publish it as well about racist.

South Africa has many different colors citizens

When a South African citizen encounters foreign population in employment, business, welfare, resources, time and other issues.

Of course, my heart will be uncomfortable. . .

In fact, South African residents stressful life is great. . .

I've only been away from home two weeks but I'm also planning on visiting Berlin , go to the lake, party on my spare time.. But there will always be moments when I'll feel a little homesick, you can avoid that when you leave home for a  long time.. Are you still in the UK at the moment?

yes.getting bored everyday.when its been so long, living and working in abroad.what to do?

Your home is when your heart is :))))

I am having the same problem missing my home badly. Moreover I dont have friends here in Beijing and I am totally nil about Mandarin.

I spend time doing some part-time business. Instead of wasting my time in doing non-sense activities, I shifted it to much worthy activities and earn at the same time.

Find activities and meet other expats

OR