I live in Alaska but hope to retire in the Davao

Hi my name is Tom,

I live in Alaska but hope to retire in the Davao area in 3 years. I vacationed in the Philippines six times. The first time in 2006, mostly Digos and Davao. My wife is Filipina and we have two school age daughters. I would like to live in a gated community but because of the extra expense might want to build on my own. This forum has great advice and shared resources. Thank you all.

Hello Tom, welcome to the forum. If you are considering living long time in the Philippines it would probably better to build your own house.  I have just brought a property that is 10 years old and will need a complete new roof in 12 to 18 months, already replaced the rusted out guttering/spouting. Building standards here are third world class or worse. PM me if you want more information.     regards  Bruce

Thanks Bruce, for now I'm reading the blogs and following attachments. But when we get closer  to moving I might take you up on your offer. I also have an older brother who has worked in construction for 40 years. Much of it with cement . But any help is appreciated.

Lat61 wrote:

Hi my name is Tom,

I live in Alaska but hope to retire in the Davao area in 3 years. I vacationed in the Philippines six times. The first time in 2006, mostly Digos and Davao. My wife is Filipina and we have two school age daughters. I would like to live in a gated community but because of the extra expense might want to build on my own. This forum has great advice and shared resources. Thank you all.

Alaska... You can handle the heat and humidity of the Philippines? I live in Brazil which is subtropical in my area but I suffer of heat and humidity during summer. Most of the time I stay indoors during the day and only go out at night during the summer season.

Robal,  Yes I will also be a nocturnal a lot of the time.  Car tinted windows also since I am of fair complexion. But six months of winter gets increasingly tiresome as one ages. But a little AC and fans can help mitigate the heat. Also I tend to lose weight with decreased appitite while in the Philippines , so there's that.

Warning.  Don't expect things to be the same in the Philippines as else where. Building materials, workmanship, time delays, etc are all substandard to what we know.  You will need to tread lightly as you go. Sorry, did I mention gouging of "whites" is endemic here. Let me know if I can help.   regards   Bruce

I keep reading about the "gouging" syndrome so it must be substantially true.  I know from personal experience that Pinays always ask foreigners for  money and even websites warn of scams on their sites so that is likely to be true as well.  And I read that locals don't repay personal loans though I don't see that as often as the other allegations.

How, then, can posters claim that the locals are wonderful people and the real reason to live in the RP?  It seems counter-intuitive to me.

Tsmslf wrote:

I keep reading about the "gouging" syndrome so it must be substantially true.  I know from personal experience that Pinays always ask foreigners for  money and even websites warn of scams on their sites so that is likely to be true as well.  And I read that locals don't repay personal loans though I don't see that as often as the other allegations.

How, then, can posters claim that the locals are wonderful people and the real reason to live in the RP?  It seems counter-intuitive to me.

I consider the above facts to be  genetic in nature. It´s a survival instinct for self preservation. Actually
most of the time people don´t really respect you. They fear you and that´s why they act like docile
and harmless individuals because they sense a more powerful person that could harm them and possibly even lose their lives.

In Brazil where I live, it´s the same stuff as self preservation. Women use their charm combined with
perceived weakness or harmlessness to lure you to help them out with money. So, you´re enchanted and became the boyfriend. But alas, it´s just too late when you realize that suddenly you are now liable for her monthly rent, even groceries and of course her cosmetics, lingerie, monthly allowance and whatever onslaught you can bear.

More than a dozen people owe me money and I haven´t seen a cent as payment for years now. If you loan money in Brazil, you should consider it as a gift.

Just a coincidence between the Philippines and Brazil? I don´t think so. It´s natures fault. The thing is, aside from losing money you also lose friends that you loaned the money to. So why lend money? There´s no benefit to you but hoarding a collection of debtors.

In Brazil, people always say, there are 3 things you don´t do in Brazil:

You don´t lend money, your car and your woman!

robal

Tsmslf wrote:

They are wonderful people because all one need do is say no to personal requests while occasionally being generous on one's own time and place and one will be treated well.