Moving to Davao and would like information on business and area

Hello to everyone :)

My partner and I are going to be moving to Davao this year and would like to get information and feedback from people there.  We are currently in New Zealand and after 13 years are finding it a fruitless experience.

1.  Which area in Davao seems to be where foreigners are staying?  We are interested in a quiet area not directly in the city, we liked the feeling of the area around Eden Nature Park.

2.  Is Samal Island a good option to buy/build a house and how is it for safety now?  We were there a week ago (and stayed for a month around Mindanao) and it seemed fine but that is not enough time to judge it properly.

3.  Has anybody managed to build a house in Davao and how much did it cost (please include the size of the house and layout, lot area)?  Any good contractors to stick to, or complete packages offered by a reputable business?

4.  Are there lists of house/lots that have been foreclosed that can be purchased?

5.  How exactly does the money lending work to rice farmers?  I know you must be registered as a lender.  Is there a better agriculture to loan money to that gives a better return on investment?

6.  What is the average rent paid by a boarder in a boarding house in Davao?

7.  Where would be the best place to find a decent used 4x4 vehicle that will not rip you off?  Are there any places to buy one that has been repossessed like from a bank?

I would like to hear from foreigners and Filipinos as that will give a good view. 

We understand that where we are now and the Philippines are vastly different but even so will trade in a heart beat as feeling welcome and at home is far more important than being made to feel like you don't belong.

All responses will be greatly appreciated.

Tangkad,
I have lived in Davao almost six years with my filipina wife. In answer to yourv questions.
1. There are few places where foreigners are concentrated. Woodridge has a few. I think Matina is a good place to live , plenty of Malls, Uni's, schools and family recreation places.
2. Samal you need to do your research. There are foreigners living there, however most things you need you have to go to Davao. Roads have improved , lighting is poor.I think safety is suspect. Samal comes under the jurisdiction of  Tagum. I have had two friends that have bought land there, one got scammed and the second is still waiting to build, because the developer did apply for a sanitation system for the development.
3.I have two friends that built in Woodridge without any problems. However saying that you must do your homework and search for a good reliable builder, be involved with the buying of materials and be on hand to check the progress of the work. My friends did payments based on completion of work. I would say a minimum plot of 300 sm. In Woodridge which is the top end of the market you pay 15,000 pesos a sm.
4.On the internet you can find  repossessions, but they tend to be complicated you need a trustworthy lawyer.
5. No idea. Dont recommend money lending as a foreigner. Its sometimes cheaper to kill you than pay the debt.
6.One of my friends has a small boarding house. I think they charge around 1500 pesos per month.
7.Try not to buy Japanese surplus as the steering has been changed from right to left.
I think Korean cars are a better buy. I am selling my 2005 Pajero if your interested.
8.I think a residencia or boarding house could be a good business in Davao as there are plenty of Uni's , hospitals where students study and need accom.
Dinky

Thank you for the good reply Dinky, much appreciated.  I'll take into account all the points made.  Yes the locals did say the Samal is tighter on security now but it falling under another jurisdiction does raise concern to me, my partner still says Davao is the place to be as she worked and lived there.

Yes with the former Mayor now President, he is bringing Davao business from the Chinese, Japanese and I think eventually the US. You will find Davao very safe.Remember its the main port for all the crops from Mindanao, particularly Banana and Pineapple. Coconut and Durian is also popular.as your partner will confirm. Just remember alot of business is controlled by the Filipino Chinese. If you get a chance go to a Bar in Matina Town Square, run by a Brit called Marco, its the one closest to the Basketball court Talk to expats there who have lived in Davao a while and know about what is not written on blogs and websites.

Forgot to mention there are alot of BPO's and call centers springing up, so there is a need for hostels and dormatories.