My Recent Trip to the Philippines - mini report

Edited as requested

whoaaa!!
I hope this experience of yours will help me in Philippines!! :)

Hi female_expat!

Thanks for this brilliant post :)
Hope it will inspire other members ;)

Regards
Armand

For 17 hours trip and you landed to the Philippines? Wow so welcome to the Philippines! Brat!

It sounds funny! How comes you don't know that the Philippines is a tropical country.  The temperature ranges from 16 Degree Celsius (Baguio and Tagaytay Area) to 31 Degree Celsius in most areas whole year round and even it reached up to 34 to 36 Degree Celsius during Summer (March to May). I f you love winter then you must stay away from tropical countries like the South East Asian countries (Philippines, Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand & Vietnam) because they share the same climate and temperature.

Your Taxi ride

For your taxi ride, I think you approach the driver with a sphinx smile,  if you know, Filipinos don't like to serve with “OA” over acting Filipino like people and asking for a very special treatment. Filipinos in nature loves to serve Whites and western origin regardless of the attitude and they will consider it but if you look like Filipino as you said you are Filipino blooded and you act like a queen, you just make them mad. The fact that the driver don't want to serve you but the government protect the passenger and you could complain if he will refuse so the driver gives you a terrible ride and it only means he wants you to out of his taxi because he don't like you and he don't like your attitude.

Restaurants and Malls

You visited a lot of restaurants, many times eating alone,  Wow! You don't wonder why people don't like be with you? Maybe you have a problem.  Do you have a “BO”? Filipinos are sensitive they don't want to make friendship to anyone with “BO” (body odor / bad under arms). Or maybe your attitude is not so pleasant to anyone in the country so nobody want to approach you for friendship. The blogosphere were your main source of information. Unfortunately you did not find any restaurant that gave you any pleasure: wow! You are such a kind very high standard person.  I agree with you! But the taste of the food will vary on how you fell for yourself. If you are really mad then no food is interesting or maybe you are sick so you lost your appetite.  But so confusing.. You came from USA and you are counting how many rings of calamari is being served for $5 bux order?  Wow! you are so CHEAP! $5 bux is nothing actually. Come here in Seoul and you would enjoy $50 to $80 US Dollar Calamari of course you could not count how many rings. Think of the price $5 bux is just a coin so you expect that it is a big order.

Traffic Lights

You crossed on 'red' but the police made the oncoming vehicle go. Funny!. Cross on red or Green. Be careful. Do not cross if it is “RED” hahaha are you .. I could not say about you. good thing the police did not jail you as a jay walker. And you were caught in the middle? Yeah because you are betting the red light and it is against the law of the Philippines.

Makati Buildings

You said "Surely there are new buildings popping here and there, but city planners have no consideration about the dwellers  and trees in the city. Good comment, You have the point but it the way it is, Makati could not be like San Francisco, so nothing you can do.

Nightlife

Greenbelts' famous red light district (Cafe Havana)
There are now few restaurants in Greenbelt that entertains working girls. The restaurants are not far from Cafe Havana. You spent many nights in Cafe Havana and Seattle Cafe, just for the purpose of sharing your observation, the place was turned a sex trade at night ? ohh sorry. Who could notice it are those people who are looking for it. I been there but I did not noticed of what you have noticed. Its just maybe, you are thinking of “Sex” so it comes out to your mind and become true. :D hahah peace. And it sounds that you are so insecure in that place as many Filipina girls are more attractive to guys and they leave you alone.. wow… you would really insecure if you are not as pretty as them. So avoid the place like that. 

Public Holiday

You said Makati is like a ghost town during public holiday. I agree! Makati is a business district so during holidays you could not find any employees who were giving life in the area so it means its like an old cemetery during holiday.

Changing US currency to peso

I would suggest you to change your dollar not in any bank but in many  “Foreign currency Changer” which could be found in many malls and anywhere and they are safe also with security guards. .  They have a high offer and the service is so fast. The Philippine Banking system is very strict and they will require you  ID's and many procedure to change your Dollar but in the “Foreign Currency Changer” it is so fast and the rate is good. I have tired many times like BDO, Metro Bank, etc. I  don't recommend you to change there.

Animals and Canines

You said "I am an animal lover. It breaks my heart whenever I see stray cats and abused dogs. Why are there so many abused looking dogs in the Philippines" ?  No, its not only in the Philippines. Try to travel more countries and you could find the same. I found the same situation when I visited Tunisia, Oman, Saudi Arabia, Thailand, Indonesia and even some in the southern part of South Korea.

Prices of goods and commodities

You said “I have to be candid here and willing like to declare that Philippines is not cheap to live, at least in Manila. Prices of food is not cheap at all. You buy groceries, with brands you can find in a dollar store in the US, priced over $3 in Makati. I don't seem to find variety of cleaning agents and liquids. It is no wonder why metro Manila stinks. And if you buy cleaning stuff, you won't believe the prices you are paying for it.” 

Actually you are not using your brain. If you will buy imported product from the USA which price like $ 1 bux and $3 bux in Makati, then let me ask you, do you know about International business system and taxation?  I think not. You don't know anything right?  All imported products from USA or from any other countries would be tax in the custom and the prices might tend to double.  You must have to know about it. So I recommend you to buy locally made branded product as it is really cheap with the same quality and standards compare to the imported US made product of the same brand.

You also said that “Every transaction you paid has 12.5% VAT. You thought what the heck, this country charges more taxes than California. And where does their taxes goes when you hardly see any improvement on the poor people.”

Hey I will ask you again, as you said you been there 8 years ago but what makes you to come back if you don't like the place? I think you are just wanting to be treat like a royal and I could not understand? You sounds so cheap and don't want to spend money when you travel. Could you find any place which is FREE? VAT is normal to every countries and do not compare every country's system. have you traveled a lot or just fabricating the issue? Other countries have 20% or 18% VAT so 12% is even lower. And why do you care for the proceeds of the VAT? Do you want to take the share?

You said “From Hong Kong to Manila, you read in the paper that March inflation averaged to 4.5% (monthly). You equate that to yearly and the result would make the people furious.”

Hahaha, you are so ridiculous! You don't really know about business and economics so do not mention anything about business, taxation and economics because you don't get the point of what is inflation… VAT and taxes. You are making yourself embarrassed of what you are saying. You must have to study first what is inflation?... hahaha are you trying to add the monthly inflation rate? Lols.. crazy funny girl! Do you know about economics? do you know about mathematics? about statistics? Do you know about “Mean”? Average? Hire me to teach you hahah.  You need to learn Business from the Philippines not from the Carolina because you didn't learn anything there. Blame your professor if you have step to a gate of a university or blame yourself for keep on napping in the classroom.

Peace guys!! :)

WHEW! NICE TO READ CONVERSATION OF TWO MOST INTELLIGENT PEOPLE. LET'S JUST BEFRIENDS HERE. :)

Okay...so I couldn't pass this up! I've tried...trust me...I've tried. But here goes. Firstly...when in the Philippines...do the Makati thing for 2 days...greenbelt etc...then head to the fort and China town...Rizal Park etc. It's in all the guide books and the Lonely Planet only costs $20 in the U.S. If you feel totally compelled...Mall of Asia. After that...get the heck out of Manila and actually see and experience the country and people. Forget, Havana compound, etc...there is so much more to experience. Also, put religion, politics and economics in your back pocket and save it for later!!!! Got it!!!!??????
Go to Dumaguete and check out Bohol and Siquijor. Go to Mindanao, CDO to Davao via Buda Highway...Bukidnon is amazing. Once in Davao...well you could spend a week there and not see it all! Head to Gen San and have some real fun. Then head north again to Siargao! Learn to surf, explore and have some real laid back fun. Get the heck out of the city. If you wanted city life...stay in SF or wherever!!! After Siargao head back to Manila...airport only!!!! Then head to Palawan...Get in the water...get in the ground...think caves!!!! Get my drift...if you came all the way from the U.S. just to see Manila...well honey, this ain't no "all inclusive" in Mexico...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Get out of the box...live...explore...learn!
If you're part Filipino and are returning to explore your heritage...then what the heck are you doing in Manila???? Even if your family is from there...I can only guess your ancestors would appreciate you getting to know what the entire country is all about. Again...go to Mexico for an all inclusive...or go to Mexico and learn and "EXPERIENCE" it's culture! Your choice and life is all about choices. 
But then...that's just my 2 cents worth from an average Canadian!
Sorry, but my Mango Shake is calling.
Be brave.
J.

nice one solido. i agree on that.

hope to see u in davao soon.. some chit-chat over a cup of coffee.. or maybe a glass of mango shake. :)

Western men are often egomaniac, chauvenistic, dumb and quite like bimbos. I am no mean woman to give out such vulgar delicacy but would these men know the truth if no one would tell them ? Pretty much these guys come to this place with the intent of getting a temporary lover.

Hmm.  What is it that makes some women so bitter?  :(

I also live in San Fran and think I have a pretty good idea.

Love , love, love, Peace . Peace..My own opinion..If you are in Adventure Path..why complain?

Indeed! Solido..good job..hows your mango shake?

@female_expat> have you ever visited India? Could you make a mini-report too?

I've been living in the Philippines for almost 3 years.  I could not pass up posting to this forum topic.

To prince_denison, I have to side with female_expat, not because she's also from San Francisco and Filipina like I am, but because she tells things as they really are. The Philippines is not an idyllic place to live in.

Here's what I'd like to share / add:
Re: Taxi Ride
Let me add that unscrupulous ones would take advantage of foreigners. When we were still new here, my American husband took the wrong bus on his way to his Tagalog lessons. He realized that after the bus did not take the usual route at Quezon Memorial Circle. Panicked, he got off, hailed a taxi. The driver made him pay 500 pesos upfront. It turned out that the Christian Language Study Center was less than 10 minutes away.

Re Food and Restaurants:
Portions are indeed small.  Portion for "two" is more like 3/4's portion.  The meat is tough and fatty. If it's not tough, then it's pressure cooked, but still stringy. (Bring dental floss with you.) I heard from my brother that there's this place steak place, Antonio's, at Tagaytay that claims it's "fine dining" but a meal is around 4000 pesos per person. Yikes! Too pricey for me. For around US$80 per person or US$160 for me and my husband, I'd rather save up for when we go visit SF, and eat at The Slanted Door, or Kokari, or Jardiniere, or Alfred's, or Kuleto's. And on top of the 8.5% sales tax, and 15% tip, I'd still get change for a delicious meal and excellent service.

Re Makati during public holidays:
It's not just public holidays that Makati financial district looks like a ghost town. Sundays too.

Re Prices of goods:
Low quality food that you can buy at wet market, and also risk that it's "double dead" meat / fish (meat that hasn't been slaughtered, meaning the animal died of an illness): cheap.  Better quality foods at supermarket: expensive. Even better quality foods at specialty stores and supermarkets at Shang-rila in Ortigas: very expensive.  More than 2x the price in the US.

Re Red Light District / Cafe Havana:
I  bring my American husband along whenever we go out at night.  Always. I wouldn't want to go to Cafe Havana. With my Filipina looks, I might get mistaken for a hooker, especially with my husband in tow. But for curiosity's sake, I'll visit the area one of these days, but only during daytime.

Even in places like Boracay, there are many prostitutes.  When we went there last 2005, the next door occupant was an old caucasian and a young Filipino boy who looked upset. (We stayed at a resort far from the main strip and was more secluded.) Probably "rented out" by his parents and did not know what was going to happen to him. There was also a middle aged caucasian with a girl who looked like she's 14, but had her hair braided/ weave and wore 5" platforms to make her look older. (I wonder why the authorities are not arresting these people?!!) I was so disgusted. I was so affected by it that got sick to my stomach literally and had to go to the hospital when we arrived in Manila.

Population and Family Planning:
How parents from the slums support and feed several children is a mystery to me.  I have just 2 kids, and it's hard.  Once in a while, 4-8 year old beggars enter my office.  I give them money to make them go away because they either stink or make noise, or both, which turn off my customers. uhhh, I guess I just solved the mystery.

Squatters:
You see them everywhere.  Word of advice: If a person asks you if he could build a small structure just "temporarily" next your property but would encroach on your property, refuse it. Don't get fooled by his politeness, or pleads, or sob story. Pretty soon, that person would expand his structure an inch at a time, and you'll have a difficult time making him go away. And you'll have to pay to demolish his structure. He might even damage your property in revenge.

We were driving from Batangas to Manila, and along the highway, you can see squatters. Some have walls made of steel roofing, some have wood, some have concrete.  There was even a two-storey concrete building with iron grills and an aircon! 

Let's get together, female_expat.  And share stories.  I miss San Francisco.

FilAmericanMom wrote:

The Philippines is not an idyllic place to live in.

ASHAME ON YOU!!!
Don't compare Philippines to United States. You have just gone to US and what words came out from your mouth insulting your own country!
Your sentiments refer only to Manila so you must not generalize Philippines as not an idyllic place to live in.
And why are you still staying? Go back to US and live there forever.

A filipino like you are worthless!!!

to funkydelicguy,

First of all, I am not a worthless Filipino.  Who are you to say that when you don't even know me?  Do you actually pay Philippine taxes?   

Re "The Philippines is not an idyllic place to live in" Do you see what's around you? Poverty, malnutrition, crime, squatters, graft, corruption, injustice?  Are you blind? Are you in denial?  Have you eaten local Filipino meats?  Or do you go to Antonios or one of those high priced restaurants which could break an expat's budget if he goes there often.  Be real. 

Regarding why I'm staying here, you should have checked my profile first.  I moved here to escape the recession / housing market crash.  I didn't want to loser our savings and later swim in debt.  Honestly, I would not have moved here if I had a good job back in the states.  And I might go back, actually.

I'm not insulting my country.  I'm stating my frustrations.  This is not the same Philippines I left in the late 1990's.   

You just commented on one sentence.  Have antyhing to say on the other ones?  Negate me, especially the observation that there are pedophiles in Boracay.

Hello there..

I'm not here to join the argument or anything. I just want to say that, if you really want to enjoy Manila and experience the good side of it, I simply suggest that you step out of your comfort zone and spend a day or two with a real Manilenyo(a person who lives in Manila since birth). I mean, you won't really experience how great Manila is if you stick to the idea of how comfortable life is/was for you when you were in another country. Simply stop comparing let alone complaining.

I think you are missing a lot of GREAT things about Manila. I know its always easier to look at the bad side of things but since you have decided to reside or even visit this country... might as well find and experience the best of it than keep on complaining about the bad... right? Am I making sense here?

Anyway, if you do have friends who can do this for you then, great! Go and experience the GOOD side of Manila. If not, then use this website to find friends who can show you around and guarantee you a good time.

P.S. Its always better to travel with a trustworthy local if you are planning to visit or reside here. Doing so will require less effort and MONEY since you already have someone to guide you and give you tips about life in Manila.

I hope this reply is helpful. PEACE! :)

cheerios!

DO NOT generalize your experience in the Philippines with your experience in 1 or 2 places.

The Philippines is composed of more than 7,100 islands and you have visited only 2 or 3 places.

I agree Manila is not a good place to live! Thumbs up!  especially that city is very westernized but its only manila not the other places in the South and central Philippines like Bohol, Camiguin, Palawan, Cagayan De Oro, Davao.. etc. . I don't mean westernized is bad but their influenced from the western culture turns them into shameless and liberated…VERY LIBERATED.. I don't like it.

Prostitute and Pedophiles

-    Prosti and pedos are everywhere, When I visited Mexico there's a lot of them. Even in Saudi Arabia, a very conservative country in world but it is common to see prosti from different countries especially whites. You will walk in places like Al –Khobar you could see pickup point for them. Even in the USA, Prostitute is there. Pedophiles.. even church servants are pedos..
-    My point is, if you care of what you seen in any places, and you want changes, raise your voice is a right place. It is very unprofessional to do it in the public accessible board like the internet.  it is a shame for you to shout it to the whole  world as you are insulting there whole country, nationality and race. LET ME ASK YOU, ARE YOU NOT INSULTING YOUR OWN RACE OF SHOUTING BAD EXPERIENCE YOU HAVE HAD? If you are concern then why don't you go to the Authorities? In the Philippines there are police stations and DSWD then  you could  report for Pedo cases, Prosti is not allowed actually but the authorities have lots of priorities than that.
-    CURIOSITY : wow, crazy thing… Café HAVANA? If you know that it is not a good place then what makes you curious to go there? Do you want to experience that somebody will deflate you and rape you?  I could not understand girls. You are commenting that is not a good place and you are interested to go there, crazy, really opposite…. I dunno how to explain that attitude.

TAXES…
-    I dunno why you are commenting about taxes. Tax is everywhere and tax in the Philippines is very minimal compare to the other countries in the world. The Philippines will not survive if they won't collect taxes. Well, if you don't want to pay 12% VAT, then do not eat and do not visit the Philippines. So Simple. I am just confused, people who lost their Jobs in the other country will go to the Philippines to live there. And keep commenting about prices and taxes.. anyway, I understand now, psychological; if you are jobless you don't have money… that's why you are always burning angry… don't blame the prices in the Philippines go back to the States and see if you could live being jobless.. or you would live in the corner as new beggar in states..

prince_denison wrote:

DO NOT generalize your experience in the Philippines with your experience in 1 or 2 places.

The Philippines is composed of more than 7,100 islands and you have visited only 2 or 3 places.

I agree Manila is not a good place to live! Thumbs up!  especially that city is very westernized but its only manila not the other places in the South and central Philippines like Bohol, Camiguin, Palawan, Cagayan De Oro, Davao.. etc. . I don't mean westernized is bad but their influenced from the western culture turns them into shameless and liberated…VERY LIBERATED.. I don't like it.

Prostitute and Pedophiles

-    Prosti and pedos are everywhere, When I visited Mexico there's a lot of them. Even in Saudi Arabia, a very conservative country in world but it is common to see prosti from different countries especially whites. You will walk in places like Al –Khobar you could see pickup point for them. Even in the USA, Prostitute is there. Pedophiles.. even church servants are pedos..
-    My point is, if you care of what you seen in any places, and you want changes, raise your voice is a right place. It is very unprofessional to do it in the public accessible board like the internet.  it is a shame for you to shout it to the whole  world as you are insulting there whole country, nationality and race. LET ME ASK YOU, ARE YOU NOT INSULTING YOUR OWN RACE OF SHOUTING BAD EXPERIENCE YOU HAVE HAD? If you are concern then why don't you go to the Authorities? In the Philippines there are police stations and DSWD then  you could  report for Pedo cases, Prosti is not allowed actually but the authorities have lots of priorities than that.
-    CURIOSITY : wow, crazy thing… Café HAVANA? If you know that it is not a good place then what makes you curious to go there? Do you want to experience that somebody will deflate you and rape you?  I could not understand girls. You are commenting that is not a good place and you are interested to go there, crazy, really opposite…. I dunno how to explain that attitude.

TAXES…
-    I dunno why you are commenting about taxes. Tax is everywhere and tax in the Philippines is very minimal compare to the other countries in the world. The Philippines will not survive if they won't collect taxes. Well, if you don't want to pay 12% VAT, then do not eat and do not visit the Philippines. So Simple. I am just confused, people who lost their Jobs in the other country will go to the Philippines to live there. And keep commenting about prices and taxes.. anyway, I understand now, psychological; if you are jobless you don't have money… that's why you are always burning angry… don't blame the prices in the Philippines go back to the States and see if you could live being jobless.. or you would live in the corner as new beggar in states..

I'm not trying to insult anybody. 

Ok, to please all those who think that the Philippines is an idyllic place, let me rephrase.  The national capital region is not an idyllic place to be.

Regarding child prostitution, I did report it the moment I got well from the hospital.  I did report it to the authorities at the airport before I left Boracay.  I did call Bantay Bata.  I even sent pictures.  It seemed like nobody cared.

Regarding taxes, did I mention anything about VAT?  You're mistaking my post for another.  I did ask another member is he pays Philippine taxes, after calling me a worthless Filipino.  By the way funkydelicguy, why are you in Riyadh?  Better job there, I presume.

Regarding my job, I left the US because I didn't have a job.  There was a business opportunity here, so the logical thing to do is to work here.  By the way, what are YOU doing here?

About Cafe Havana, did I say anything about wanting to be raped?  "Deflate"?  Yeah, right, I'm a balloon.  [moderated]

GREAT! You really care! Congratulations… I hope the Authorities will jail those pedos…

TAXES… did I mentioned that you mentioned about taxes? I commented without a name… general .. Try to browse the comments and you could find it there.[several comments mentioning it from the start]

Deflated? … Yeah I am thinking of your ballooning pek-pek to deflate when a huge hot rod thrust to your hole in the public. it could be so shameful? It is not only the balloon to deflate you know that?

Riyadh? I did not mention that place. Maybe Al-Khobar… read it well…  And I am not there. Check my location.

Moron, sorry.. it is not registered in my memory hahaha, I am a poor guy. I dunno about that term.. As what I know professionals usually refrain from attacking anyone with street's terminology. I am not a streetboy so its not familiar to me .. it is not interesting actually..  do you refer moron to yourself? Hahhaha “Moron” bow.  When I visited Osamiz  City, street vendors are selling moron, it taste good, opposite to a pok-pok who mentioned moron in the Expat.com… hahaha

Hi FilAmericanMOm,

This is simply how I see it, I get that you are upset because of the recent things you have encountered or experienced here in Manila/Philippines. However, I know you know that this is a third world country and you can't really expect your life here to be the same with your life in USA.

Yes we have prostitution here. Yes we have pedophiles here. Yes most of our government officials are corrupt. Yes our police are poorly trained. Yes we have only a few organizations who address different problems in our society BUT, seriously...

WHAT WERE YOU EXPECTING WHEN YOU DECIDED TO LIVE HERE?

You have tasted and gone for greener pastures when you left the country and decided to marry an American. There's nothing wrong with that. I myself am going to Jakarta because the pay is better. But please don't forget where you came from. You may have married and lived in America but you are still and will always be a Filipino. I am a Filipino.

Instead of ranting like that, why don't you get involved and find out why these kinds of things are happening to your motherland. For your information, there is actually a study conducted by a researcher from another country stating that prostitution and child abuse are actually correlated to the tourism in the country. YES! Wake up and open your eyes to the reality around you. All these bad things are brought upon your countrymen's hunger for a better life.

While you take 10 mins of your time stating your frustrations about our country which you ONLY experienced for a while, why don't you think about the frustrations of the other million Filipinos who experiences much worse than you do for everyday of their lives.

If you can understand Tagalog, this is what I have to say to you and I sincerely mean this from the bottom of my heart and I hope I do not offend you in any way...

"Ang Pilipinas ay tahanan ko. Kahit magulo at kulang kulang man ito, mahal ko ito ng buong puso. Sana, kung wala kang masasabing maganda tungkol sa tahanan ko, wag ka na lang magsalita. Hindi kailangan ng aking bansa ng mga taong yuyurak at aapak sa kanya. Ang kailangan nito ay ang mga taong tutulong na makabangon ito mula sa kinasasadlakan. Sana pag-isipan mo ng mabuti yan.

Maraming salamat..."

**if you got offended or felt bad about anything that I said... I'm sorry. It wasn't my intention to do so.

peace!

i like what you said  Miss_Kiki! :) i applause u :thanks::top::one

[Moderated: Useless comment]

Thank you sir funkydelicguy.

Happy Philippine Independence day. :)

Mabuhay!

Guys, lets use this site to show how expats can have fun and great time. this site isnt here to show how miserable they can be while here in Philippines! ;)

miss_kiki- good on yeah!  I would have explain it the way u did!! u rock!!

Own experience in Cafe Havana:

Love the food. Me and my expat friends love to hang-out there. True!There are a lot of working girls there. I didnt feel like them though. I'm always with european, latin and persian guys. We are students and organization volunteers. We enjoy Havana because of the food and the latin music they play suits my latin friends.

Just enjoy the good side of the place! if u dont like might as well not say anything against it! ;)

Happy Independence Day! ;)

prince_denison wrote:

GREAT! You really care! Congratulations… I hope the Authorities will jail those pedos…

TAXES… did I mentioned that you mentioned about taxes? I commented without a name… general .. Try to browse the comments and you could find it there.[several comments mentioning it from the start]

Deflated? … Yeah I am thinking of your ballooning pek-pek to deflate when a huge hot rod thrust to your hole in the public. it could be so shameful? It is not only the balloon to deflate you know that?

Riyadh? I did not mention that place. Maybe Al-Khobar… read it well…  And I am not there. Check my location.

Moron, sorry.. it is not registered in my memory hahaha, I am a poor guy. I dunno about that term.. As what I know professionals usually refrain from attacking anyone with street's terminology. I am not a streetboy so its not familiar to me .. it is not interesting actually..  do you refer moron to yourself? Hahhaha “Moron” bow.  When I visited Osamiz  City, street vendors are selling moron, it taste good, opposite to a pok-pok who mentioned moron in the Expat.com… hahaha

This will be my last post on this topic. 

prince_denison, you did mention "taxes" on a paragraph that was addressed to me.

[Moderated: Useless comment]

And the "Riyadh" issue, I was addressing funkydelicguy, not you.

To Miss_Kiki, I'll take your advice, and try to move out of my comfort zone.

Thank you ms.angelsstirera and mrs. FilAmericanMom. I appreciate it :)

To them, hmmnn typical Filipina,,... I love my Philippines!!

Hmmm To Female Expat and FILAM MOM.. what about run as a President and make this country as first world..hmmnn...come on then!

Yeah shares experiences and not slugging fellow Filipinos!

We cannot deny the fact that Philippines is currently on that state female_expat. But do we need to dig all the negatives and tell the whole world? 
You are a Filipino. You must uplift your own country whatever it may be. Philippines is your home.
You have no difference with FilAmericanMom. Both of you are worthless filipinos!

I wouldn't say they're worthless coz they're not. I understand completely what FilAmericanMom and female_expat are trying to say. It's just that, you see, all of us are just expressing words...just words. What can we actually do to make a difference, start the change and do something for the country? That's what's more important right?

FilAmericanMom and female_expat are not the only ones expressing their concerns about the issues our country is currently facing. However more Filipinos are blinded about these things because of a lot of problems(poverty, lack of education, etc.)

So you see, honestly... there are deeper problems that need to be addressed.

On the other hand, Ms. female_expat, you can't really blame your fellow Filipinos if they're reacting this way about your blog. If you grew here in the Philippines I bet you would react the same way. I wouldn't actually consider it hypocrisy if we're trying to "defend" (if that is the right word to use) our country. Its only natural for us to do so. Its what you call being MAKABAYAN. Its what our national heroes fought and died for...  :)

Anyway, I didn't comment here to pick a fight or anything. Just like you, I'm only expressing and sharing my thoughts. Besides, this is a travel blog right? Travel blogs are suppose to encourage readers to have an adventure and travel and actually experience places and things whether good or bad. If you put a lot of negative things in your blog then you're not really encouraging people to be adventurous and to travel right? Just a thought.

Anyway, you did point out a few good things in your blog and thank you for that. :)

Have a great day and God bless!

cheerios!

Miss_Kiki wrote:

Anyway, I didn't comment here to pick a fight or anything. Just like you, I'm only expressing and sharing my thoughts. Besides, this is a travel blog right? Travel blogs are suppose to encourage readers to have an adventure and travel and actually experience places and things whether good or bad. If you put a lot of negative things in your blog then you're not really encouraging people to be adventurous and to travel right? Just a thought

:one

:) thank you sir :)

for female expat and Fil/Am mom both of you are trouble maker, ignorant. If you dont like the Phil. then stay away, we don't want you here. WTF go away!!

[moderated: keep that kind of comment for you]

female_expat wrote:

And No Philippines is not my home. The last time I check, my  primary residence is located in San Francisco. I paid US taxes. I am employed by a US Corporation. I am just like every expat, I take advantage whatever opportunities given to me and if it does not work out I go somewhere.

There you go.... The Philippines may not be your home but it is ours that's why we are trying to defend it.

Its good that you wrote these things so people can open their eyes to the truth and I don't know... maybe try and change things. I get that. But I don't find it necessary to belittle my country just so you can spark change.

In school, you don't point out to a child the negative things he does so he can change. What you do is suggest good things and try to build the child. The more you tell negative things to a child, the more he becomes negative about himself.

Since I live and I pay taxes here in the Philippines, I think I am right when I say that this is what my country needs. It doesn't need other people/outsiders to belittle it and say negative things about it because then... people will see it as something precisely like that-NEGATIVE. And who would want to help or lend a hand to someone or something that's associated with a lot of negatives? NOBODY! You yourself admittedly don't want to return here if you had a choice.

So honestly, I admire you for trying to "expose" people from the problems of my country, but really, you are doing it more harm than good.

I too volunteer without pay. Its my way of helping my country. I do it because I love my country. I encourage people to start addressing the problems of the society by letting them volunteer as well. And by letting them know that behind all the negative things, there's still a lot of good left which we can use as a starting point for change.

Anyway, I don't know if I made sense to you at all. I hope that in the future, when you visit our country again, you will change your mind about it.

I think this will be my last post here. I wouldn't want to have "frenemies" here so... :)

Have a good life and best of luck when you go back to the Philippines! :)

God bless

cheerios!

I hate to say this but when i asked my 3 expat friends to read the post from Filam/mom and female expat all of them were alarmed. They've been here for couple of weeks. They were in disbelief. I so far managed show the good side of the country but didn't really make a big deal out of the small details u guys have mentioned, and they didn't too.

I remember talking to my brother's boss who happen to be a german. He said Philippines is a good country with warm people but we are cannibals for we eat our own. Always saying the negative side of the country instead of embracing it and dealing with it.

It's good that we give warning but not somehow the way both of you have stated things. For me it doesn't sound helpful nor my friends. I'm young and so are my friends. They are here to study and volunteer. Reading things like that wasn't pleasant to read.

angelstirera,

Of course your boss won't state the obvious.... but you have to read between the lines...

female_expat

Its too much to read but I don't see the point of stating the facts about the Philippines. You won't get your message across. The Filipinos will never change and the country will rot for the obvious reason. Look at Thailand and Vietnam and perhaps you will understand.

Any expat knows about every issues they faced in the Philippines. Many have left and for the newcomers one day would leave. It is not a great place for your investment.

Any expat who tells how good Philippines is lying. The average stay of every expat do not last for two years unless the western husband is married to the local wife.

Locals of course are exception, Filipinos only want to hear the good reviews.

HELLO EVERYONE

it sounds that female_expat has a problem. You could not help her by attacking her.

It sounds she has psychotic disorder.

In order for you to help her is just to ignore all her messages. Do not comment back and do not reply her anymore.

If she would be in trouble while she is in the Philippines, she could be a social responsibility then of the Philippines' government.

You would be blame if here psychotic disorder would acute. Just stop talking to her anymore.. SHe is just lack of care.. in other words "Kulang sa sa Pansin" nag pa pansin lang yan... KSP

aspca wrote:

female_expat

The Filipinos will never change and the country will rot for the obvious reason. Look at Thailand and Vietnam and perhaps you will understand.

. . . Any expat knows about every issues they faced in the Philippines. Many have left and for the newcomers one day would leave. It is not a great place for your investment.

Any expat who tells how good Philippines is lying. The average stay of every expat do not last for two years unless the western husband is married to the local wife.

Locals of course are exception, Filipinos only want to hear the good reviews.

I believe Filipinos can change, and many have.  It is unfortunate that this change happens when they move to a different country.  And even more unfortunate, is that most of these Filipinos, once they get settled in that foreign country, do not want to come back. 

Those who do come back a changed Filipino, and point out the bad aspects that need to be changed, get ridiculed as being unpatriotic.  They are like well-meaning interventionists who point out the problem to the patient.  But if the patient does not want to acknowledge that there is a problem, which is the first step to a cure, there's nothing much they can do.  It's a hopeless case.

They are deemed as arrogant and "worthless" Filipinos, even though they pay Philippine taxes, and are more sympathetic to their workers and house help, giving them guidance and financial help as they want to pull them out of poverty.  They do their best to excel at work bringing with them the discipline they learned abroad, and yet they become outcasts.

aspca wrote:

The Filipinos will never change

Not true.

aspca wrote:

. . . the country will rot for the obvious reason.

Time will tell.