Living Here in the phillipines

Well my friends the philipines is a wondefull place to live. but with money be careful i have lost all my money here cause i trusted the wrong kind of people. aAny way living hee is easy you just need t ave money to live here .

yes you are right..! because im one of the victem also.

hello everybody.,
to all who like to live and retired and like to invest here in the phillipines im selling my property.

Flying Fox
Flying fox  bar and restaurant property 14,120 sqm, overlooking view from the highway road until to the top of the mountain, which where you can see the some other island's like Daku island,Guyam island,Nacked island, surround the property is full of fruits and coconut tree. The building is build with concrete to the highest standard. The house has 3 bathroom's 4 room's big kitchen and living area 180 sqm. Outside of the house bar and restaurant, there is freezer room's, and the smoker. Outside grill, and chicken, pig house. 15 minutes walking distance a new tourist attraction flying fox Cave's. And every afternoon about 5:45 pm, there is over 1'500 flying bat's a fruit bat's pass by to the property torching to other town.10 kilometer from Dapa and 5km from G.L town.  ToMalinao beach. 2 km.
its in siargao island generaluna or G.L surffing capital of the phillipines

Hello Friends , wh do i want to live here i ts because simple living here you dont ne to dress up you can go any where with the formallities . You the persons who i trusted i just dint know them lke a month its like a two years and they dont even apoligezed . now i have no money im trying to get a job so i can at leas buy a ticket to return home. but what a experiance i an belive that some one wil smile and laugh with you an thn steal you .

hello friends. i m going philippines next year. can anybody tell me from which type of peoples i have to be a carefull.

hello friend
i live here in phillipines for 9 years., you can contact me anytime and talk where the nice place to stay or to go. and to whom you will be careful. anything about phillipines? just contact me to via skype my add: rudvikros

Was it other expats that distrust you or local filipinos? Bad business investment or thievery? I had my wallet stolen from native filipino but never found out who did since it was pickpocketed. It's a third world country, hard to trust anyone here. Wild Wild West comes to mind.

sad to hear that..

you can visit Brahma Kumaris in Maria Orosa St. Ermita, Manila. Just cross Robinson's Place from Faura St. entrace site.
I guarantee that they are very peaceful..

Where u guys hanging out? Why u guys being picked pocket? never happened in my life though. i'm a local. Where ever u are. just make sure your valuables are well kept. ;) Piece of advice.. JUST be CAREFUL. our country is a 3rd world country but it doesn't mean every is bad or will steal. They won't steal if there is no opportunity. ;)

I find it amazing that people expect Phill to be crime free
I read my Australian home town paper online most mornings
It is full of stories of crime including home invasions
thief from homes, bag snatching and this is small country town.
It's been my expience living in Manila and now Naga City that one needs to take the normal precausions like locking house, car
and most importantly don't give credit or lend money.
would u do this in your hometown?
Pete

oh yes verry hard to week-up at the midle of the night somebody takingcare all your important things like loptop,cellphone bag which the passport is in there.
oh yes about credit big time no no no no no
im always and my victim of this. credit or you lend your money? it sounds sems like you give your money as a present they will not pay it back.

I carry my wallet in my front pocket not back and in a crowd I keep my hand in my pocket holding the wallet. I also use a little bag with a strap over my head, then hold it in crowds and on jeepneys.
I'm an American who lives in the Philippines and so far never lost my wallet. :cool:

I carry my shoulder bag with wide alluring zip across to a shallow pocket with razor-sharp metal pieces.

Ouch...

Anywhere in the world you will come across bad people Not Philippines only

It all depends how you carry yourself in public

If you keep honey open bees will follow

To be honest with you It's even worse in the US. It's the US that I switched form back pocket to front and then to the bag. There they like to bump into you then grab your wallet. I heard about this so I switched and so far not theft. In the Philippines on Jeepneys, they sit down close to you and work it out of your pocket and into theirs or grab and run. I had a friend had his stolen in a Jeepney.

I had another friend while flying over here had more than 10,000 in cash stolen out of his pants pocket while he slept on the plane. I recommend using a cheap (around ten bucks) money belt keeps the money safe around your waist where no one can get at it easily.

friend of mine come to my restaurant tell me about last night somebody climb-up to there house and still all the expensive jewelries of his wife 300,000 thousand cash money. include 5 celphones and some other appliances in the house. this happened here in surigao city..

When you go anywhere in the world, one must be responsible when it comes to money..be vigilant and dont trust someone easily..

Guys.. if you Go to Philippines be very careful esp. in Manila lots of criminals and abusive people, My husband complained a lot, that so many money faces in Manila they always expect tip.Few weeks ago we flew to Manila and what that taxi driver did,from hotel we went to Mall of Asia for dinner.But the taxi driver drove us like crazy turning and turning just to extend time of driving and he even don't put meter on, at the end I complained why he drove us far, he reasoned just because like this like that, that if he drive to another way too much traffic and so on. Finally we arrived to Mall of Asia, he charged Php. 1500 I give my 2000 pesos and  right after we stepped out of taxi he just stirred up engine and drove far away without giving my exchange.He's really nasty, My husband said for almost a year I stayed in Visayas, Bacolod City I never meet such idiot.Seriously in Bacolod taxi drivers are not like this.In manila, when we arrived from International airport and we get taxi just to send us in Domestic Airport it complains if you give 500 pesos they blah blah they want atleast a thousand for such short distance, while in bacolod city it even doesn't cost 50 PHP. In Manila, you can spot a pick pocketer they smile good and another one pretend to walk beside you and pick your wallet without noticing them,they also have another trick to pretend that you drop something. They bait you with small paper bill and throw it just near you and then they come and say  hey you drop something, then the time you bend to pick it, they will come to you and take your wallet from your jeans, they sometimes pretend to say hey! It was my money you picked and then they count why it's just like this? and then make fight with you and ask you to pay more. So if you are in that place at least try to pretend that you are not new comer or else they will victimize you.When they spotted a white make sure that the prices in the market it's suddenly like a fever.And what else we don't like manila it is because polluted, we went out wearing white and walked a little but we returned wearing gray shirt.Lots of rioters they even sometimes attack embassy and stoning it! Ermita? huh that's a place that so many prostitute and hookers also Olonggapo it is like land of prostitution.Few years ago one of Japanese got killed and took his 3Million pesos in front of Hotel near in Robinson Adriatico that Ermita for sure.He got holdup it was even 6:00 AM. And if you're renting or boarding apartment don't easily trust with people that trying to make friend with you. If you watch Scene of the Crime, the criminals usually make friends with the potential victim, The girl flirts, make relations then you starting to trust and that bitch will gather friends, drink together at first And after that when they spotted big cash,lots of appliances then that bitch along with her filipino boyfriend and friends will make you drunk till you lost consciousness, they will murder you and steal everything you have.That's why be careful. Not just in Philippines but everywhere in the world is not safe, So you should be responsible for yourself and for your actions.If you stay in hotel or apartment you may try to insert the key in the keyhole so that the criminal can't easily penetrate you, and make sure to lock up and check everything before you sleep. If you're riding to a taxi and if you think the driver is strange then be careful, some of them putting something to the air freshener to make you fell in nap, you will wake up already in strange place they could even kill you. So you may ask them turn off aircon and little bit roll down the window.And if you're walking on the street don't hang your bag or show your wallet, some criminals riding in motorcycle then drive beside you and snatch your belongings.I don't say that all filipino like that, just generally I saw lots of criminals in Manila compare to other places in Philippines.And lots of squatter in that place. Look at the Western Visayas, you will see the place is nice to live for those retired, cheap prices of land, clean, not polluted not traffic, not crowd.And few squatters with lots of friendly people.Do you know in that City most of woman are Bachelors graduate the rest that holds high school diploma applied for job as domestic helper or maids in Luzon. And the one you'll see working in Bar are from Cebu and other Cities.And no protest parade huh.So, generally my husband like Visayas Bacolod than other Cities.They have a very good service and cheap hotels.But don't expect to see tall buildings in that city, because it is not allowed to build up more than 3 story building. The Mayor preserve the Island.

I forgot to mention if you're in manila stay away from the crowd don't even put your valuable things in the bag,that's their target your bag and wallet in your pocket.dress simple and hide your jewelries.Don't even walk to the street with a few light.Just I advice you that better don't walk there at night, it's really not safe.I was even nearly to get victimize with 8 addict guys, declared hold up while i was waiting for a bus, in Quezon City.Luckily there was an army truck loaded of armies that stopped beside Pharmacy. The holdapers asked me whom I'm waiting for, I told them my brother I pointed those armies in the truck, so they hurriedly escaped got scared.If you lost in Manila you better ask the Policeman they will point you to right direction.

I am filipina and I had experience in Manila last 2004 I arrived in Manila International Airport, I had reservation In Park Hotel It's just nearby Robinson Adriatico Ermita.I took taxi just outside airport when I arrived to Hotel it asked me to pay 300 USD.That time I really don't have an idea how much the cost of taxi from Airport to Hotel because I was origin of Visayas so I did not know much Manila, but now I know that most of them are money faces and crocs

vijay.singh wrote:

Thank you! I was just about to say this.

I've lived here all my life and I think it happens to everyone, not just to foreigners. And these things happen EVERYWHERE!

As long as " Poverty / unemployments " lives the crooks will live

Just save yourself as much as you can

charm2011 wrote:

Guys.. if you Go to Philippines be very careful esp. in Manila lots of criminals and abusive people, My husband complained a lot, that so many money faces in Manila they always expect tip.Few weeks ago we flew to Manila and what that taxi driver did,from hotel we went to Mall of Asia for dinner.But the taxi driver drove us like crazy turning and turning just to extend time of driving and he even don't put meter on, at the end I complained why he drove us far, he reasoned just because like this like that, that if he drive to another way too much traffic and so on. Finally we arrived to Mall of Asia, he charged Php. 1500 I give my 2000 pesos and  right after we stepped out of taxi he just stirred up engine and drove far away without giving my exchange.He's really nasty, My husband said for almost a year I stayed in Visayas, Bacolod City I never meet such idiot.Seriously in Bacolod taxi drivers are not like this.In manila, when we arrived from International airport and we get taxi just to send us in Domestic Airport it complains if you give 500 pesos they blah blah they want atleast a thousand for such short distance, while in bacolod city it even doesn't cost 50 PHP. In Manila, you can spot a pick pocketer they smile good and another one pretend weto walk beside you and pick your wallet without noticing them,they also have another trick to pretend that you drop something. They bait you with small paper bill and throw it just near you and then they come and say  hey you drop something, then the time you bend to pick it, they will come to you and take your wallet from your jeans, they sometimes pretend to say hey! It was my money you picked and then they count why it's just like this? and then make fight with you and ask you to pay more. So if you are in that place at least try to pretend that you are not new comer or else they will victimize you.When they spotted a white make sure that the prices in the market it's suddenly like a fever.And what else we don't like manila it is because polluted, we went out wearing white and walked a little but we returned wearing gray shirt.Lots of rioters they even sometimes attack embassy and stoning it! Ermita? huh that's a place that so many prostitute and hookers also Olonggapo it is like land of prostitution.Few years ago one of Japanese got killed and took his 3Million pesos in front of Hotel near in Robinson Adriatico that Ermita for sure.He got holdup it was even 6:00 AM. And if you're renting or boarding apartment don't easily trust with people that trying to make friend with you. If you watch Scene of the Crime, the criminals usually make friends with the potential victim, The girl flirts, make relations then you starting to trust and that bitch will gather friends, drink together at first And after that when they spotted big cash,lots of appliances then that bitch along with her filipino boyfriend and friends will make you drunk till you lost consciousness, they will murder you and steal everything you have.That's why be careful. Not just in Philippines but everywhere in the world is not safe, So you should be responsible for yourself and for your actions.If you stay in hotel or apartment you may try to insert the key in the keyhole so that the criminal can't easily penetrate you, and make sure to lock up and check everything before you sleep. If you're riding to a taxi and if you think the driver is strange then be careful, some of them putting something to the air freshener to make you fell in nap, you will wake up already in strange place they could even kill you. So you may ask them turn off aircon and little bit roll down the window.And if you're walking on the street don't hang your bag or show your wallet, some criminals riding in motorcycle then drive beside you and snatch your belongings.I don't say that all filipino like that, just generally I saw lots of criminals in Manila compare to other places in Philippines.And lots of squatter in that place. Look at the Western Visayas, you will see the place is nice to live for those retired, cheap prices of land, clean, not polluted not traffic, not crowd.And few squatters with lots of friendly people.Do you know in that City most of woman are Bachelors graduate the rest that holds high school diploma applied for job as domestic helper or maids in Luzon. And the one you'll see working in Bar are from Cebu and other Cities.And no protest parade huh.So, generally my husband like Visayas Bacolod than other Cities.They have a very good service and cheap hotels.But don't expect to see tall buildings in that city, because it is not allowed to build up more than 3 story building. The Mayor preserve the Island.

well thats you just scared off every tourist in the planet in comin to manilla well done mate lol

I DISAGREE i went there several times and i have good bizs but just you should be carfull like any other place in this world i making good money just good to have nice life .............. regards

gorgeos wrote:

I DISAGREE i went there several times and i have good bizs but just you should be carfull like any other place in this world i making good money just good to have nice life .............. regards

what sort of business are you in that makes money here if you don,t mind me asking.

fgarthon wrote:

Well my friends the philipines is a wondefull place to live. but with money be careful i have lost all my money here cause i trusted the wrong kind of people. aAny way living hee is easy you just need t ave money to live here .

hi there can you share how you lost your money in the phillipines so people can avoid similar fate thanks

sookie31 wrote:
gorgeos wrote:

what sort of business are you in that makes money here if you don,t mind me asking.

i just got land (lizing) and i am planting it with rice and i have small farm of bigs it is giving enf money to live good life here but you sould make it far of the city not manila for sure regards

My brother in law is setting up an area on our 5 hectares to raise goats for their goat milk, and dried fish, is buying a fishing boat now. He will sell the goat milk to the Koreans and dried fish to the Filipinos and possibly export some. This is involving the entire family and extended family here. There are many many Koreans in the northern Cebu area. Later we plan to build apartments on the land to house the Korean workers and students as there is a college there. This all brings in money to live off of if times get tough and I expect they will. Did you guys know we are very close to WWIII now Russia, China and the us are concerned about the US war push in the Middle East and all the battles going on there. If we can't get Obama out of office it will end in WWIII and possibly in early 2012.

Oh by the way I have only been kind of sort of robbed once here. This was in a Bus stopover in Carmen Philippines. I had gone into the bathroom and I was the only one in there. A guy followed me in and started asking me for money, I pulled out a 20 peso note and he said "more", I was not going to argue with him so pulled out the only other note I had which was a 500 Peso note at which he took then ran away with. If there had been more people in there I would have just ignored him once he had said "more". I think in the future do not go into a rest room or "CR" alone. I think a crowded "CR" is better than an empty one forget the privacy issue it's too risky.

Just be  street smart.It applies anywhere u go

rkmu wrote:
vijay.singh wrote:

Thank you! I was just about to say this.

I've lived here all my life and I think it happens to everyone, not just to foreigners. And these things happen EVERYWHERE!

Very well said!!! Pickpocketing happens everywhere not only in third world country like the Philippines. I went to Paris in summer last year and I saw someone being pick-pocketed by locals. He noticed it and resisted but it was too late, there were too many of them surrounding him and they passed the wallet from one person to another then threw it away in one of the fountains. The police rescued immediately (amazing!!!) but it was too late, his passport and wallet were all wet when it was retrieved. I thought to myself I only see this in movies.

Pickpocketing in Paris, France? You tell me where it's safe and that's were I'll go but for now I will just be contented staying in Philippines as my base while traveling the world one country at a time...

Remember, life is what you make it...You don't have to be reminded all the time to take care of your valuables specially when you are in a foreign country.

The taxi drivers here can outsmart you only if you let them. If they try to talk you out with a contract price instead of the meter, just say yes but ask him to still put the meter on so you would know next time. Then when you get to your destination, just give him what is on the meter. What can he do? Nothing, plain and simple.

As for people always wanting money and asking for tip, why give them if they don't deserve it unless you are expecting to get something else? You know yourselves...come on.

Oh well. Those who want to learn more about dealing with locals (taxi, waiters, massage service etc..) feel free to PM if you have questions, I will be happy to help and give input.

Okay? Keep your cool and enjoy your stay in the Philippines.

Life is good!

JB

protogama wrote:

I carry my shoulder bag with wide alluring zip across to a shallow pocket with razor-sharp metal pieces.

I wouldnt carry it if I have too much to drink...LOL

CharlesHarman wrote:

I had another friend while flying over here had more than 10,000 in cash stolen out of his pants pocket while he slept on the plane. I recommend using a cheap (around ten bucks) money belt keeps the money safe around your waist where no one can get at it easily.

Seems to me all the guy had to do was report it to the flight attendants and when they arrived airport security could had everyone go through customs to see if their was anyone with a large amount of cash of over $10,000 US which would indicate they were probably the culprit...Theft of that amount is a 1st class felony and I am sure Philippine airport authorities would had been very interested in such a theft especially if a 5 to 10% reward was offered...

charm2011 wrote:

I am filipina and I had experience in Manila last 2004 I arrived in Manila International Airport, I had reservation In Park Hotel It's just nearby Robinson Adriatico Ermita.I took taxi just outside airport when I arrived to Hotel it asked me to pay 300 USD.That time I really don't have an idea how much the cost of taxi from Airport to Hotel because I was origin of Visayas so I did not know much Manila, but now I know that most of them are money faces and crocs

DID YOU ACTUALLY PAY THE DRIVER $300 US...???

I'm Filipino. I have never been pickpocketed in the Philippines. I have been pickpocketed once in San Francisco, California, while on a Muni Bus. I guess it's because I let my guard down, thinking, rather stupidly, that it's so unlikely that I won't get pickpocketed in SF. haha.

Also, on a nice sunny summer day in San Francisco on Hayes Valley, 4 teenage boys tried to grab my handbag. It was hard to let go of the bag because the handles got twisted around my shoulder.  One of them pushed me and I fell on my hip on the sidewalk. I shouted for help. A parking attendant at the Perfoming Arts Building near City Hall saw me. The 4 young males got scared, I guess, and ran off. I went back to my work, and from there called the police to report an assault and battery.

My husband on the other hand had been pickpocketed twice in the Philippines. Right after the first time, he learned his lesson. He became very cautious. But after 3 years, when he's started to become comfortable and complacent, he got pickpocketed again.

Thieves and criminals abound anywhere in the world. The trick is not to give them the chance to turn you into their next victim. Be alert and careful wherever you are.

Yes a Philippina friend gave my a sling bag to use for my things instead of carrying my wallet, etc, in my pockets. It's a strong strap and sturdy...never had a problem.

The best place in the Philippines for crime-management is in Davao City.  The Duterte family has done an excellent job in making that city relatively safe.  Its sad to say, but in countries where desperation is a never-ending way of life for most people, the only effective way to control people from criminal activity, especially violent activity, is to eliminate them quickly and on a regular basis.  The Davao system has proven its effectiveness.  Where life has become a jungle, draconian means are necessary and society has the right to take ALL MEANS necessary to protect the innocent.  I comment the mayors of Davao for the good work.  If the same system were used in Manila, crime would drop almost over night.  (Not only Manila, but Luzon in general is ridden with crime, and I would not recommend that a retiree think about any place in Luzon for his retirement).