Wanting to move from Ireland to Cebu

Hello and Happy New Year to all! I am considering moving from Dublin to Cebu. I would truly appreciate all and any advice, comments and help in finalising my decision. I am not a retiree nor am I married to a Filippino. I am 47 single and have a desire to move. I wish to relocate to Cebu and either invest a small amount of money in a going concern or start a new venture. This is a serious and important decision for me and all I ask is that you respect that and not post flipant remarks or comment. Thanks.

What type of venture are you looking to get into or start up.  My wife and I will eventually be retiring, probably on the island of Cebu, not definite as to where yet.  Will be there in February to start our initial search.  I thought it might be a few years down the road before we acutally made the move, but the way my job is currently going is causing me to consider not waiting so long.  Give a few more details about what you are considering.

Thanks Palasky17022 for posting so quickly. To be honest I'm keeping an open mind as to the kind of venture I would be getting into. Possibly a small eatery with an Irish theme as I believe the hospitality industry does quiet well. Of course I'm very open to any suggestions or ideas. I'm not looking for a quick buck but rather a sustainable venture that will give a decent living standard.

Gotcha!  Curious how you came up with Cebu.  My wife is Cebuano and I lived in the PI a few years long ago.  I really do not know much of the details of starting a business there so can't help you with that, or immigration issues you might run into just picking up and moving there.  We are not city types so are focusing on a more rural life, but my wife has also spoken of a small eatery type thing to keep her occupied.  Currently I will be looking into the details of buying or bulding a place to live.  I expect we would rent for a bit until we actually figured out where we were going to settle.  There are many knowlegable people on this site so you should be getting some good info shortly.  Keep in touch and I wish you the best.

You are so concern with investing in the Philippines when you move there?

Great!

I will give you a very helpful government website for you. Read all the information first and be openminded. People's comment here is absolutely TRUE.

You can start business in the Philippines with "0%" tax
check this out www.peza.gov.ph/ 

Good luck ..

Just contact me if you need accounting advice and guide step by step in setting up your business, I am an international accountant

Hi,
   i own and operate several businesses in Cebu,Philippines and in contact with many foreigners that do the same. First thing I would say is take a look at your budget and how much you think you need then look at how long your venture will take to get off the ground. Most businesses here operate word of mouth and take ages to get going so being able to be self sufficent initially is paramount to success. On top of that there are the permits and supply of food/drinks etc. which can also be a pain. Drop me an email if your interested in more info no point me putting links here if they get moderated and taken out. But would say can help you out on most things I am here 3 years and know people here in business for upto 18 years.

if you go to the blogs, there is one on Philippines Move. Him and his partner actually started a restaurant consulting business in Manila and can probably provide good tips on the environment. But if your not a Philippino, it is very difficult to start your own business.

Also, check out Live in Philippines website. He has a lot of tips.

Good luck.

Hi,

Cebu is a great place to be. Since it is a smaller island, but with International flights, ideal for expats. Getting into business venture takes time and it has to be something that you are passionate about. I mentor people on how to go about creating their lifestyle according to their passion. Wouldn't it be great to do what you love to do and get paid for doing it? Since the Philippines is bombarded with so many businesses, you really have to find your niche so you can tap into a good amount of market. What is your educational background, your previous experiences, training, expertise, gifts, skills and talents?

There are a lot of financial considerations you have to take. Make sure that you have at least one year's worth of emergency funds that is available for you to use while you are doing your research. Some multiple streams of income will be great to have so that you won't end up using up all of your savings. The retirement visa here requires quite an amount of money for your age. Unless you have a monthly pension that you can start getting, which I doubt because of your age, then, you will need at least $50,000 fund to put into the bank to get a retirement visa plus the fees that comes with it.
for the meantime, you can request for extensions to stay, but in the long run, you will find it more expensive to keep on paying for the visa extension and the fact that you have to fly out of the Philippines after certain periods of time.

while it's true that Philippines is a great place to retire, settling down for the first time requires a lot of financial funds from an expat. Some of the expats here have ventured to go ahead and come here with their $1000-$1200 pension without any savings or emergency funds. They wonder around trying to survive and I hope they are doing okay since they've decided to go on their own. I've forewarned some of them that young Filipinas from the provinces sometimes are dictated by their families to take advantage of them, but, men are men, so I feel sorry for those who allow themselves to be victims.

Take your time to do your research. You are young and have more better opportunities for a better lifestyle. Live simple now, save, save and save. Position yourself to live a lifestyle that you really want.

Pinaymentor

Hi Everyone. Again I would like to thank you all for your really helpful posts and advice. I am planning on visiting Cebu, hopefully in Mid March on a fact finding mission. I am going to the embassy here in Dublin to arrange an extended stay visa as 21 days is no where near enough time to gather all the info I need. I would really like to meet with someone from the forum for a coffee and chat to get some face to face advice and talk about my intensions. If anyone would be willing to share some of their time and meet with me I would be very grateful. I intend to stay in a hotel for the first week, to enable me to find a month to month lease apartment from which I can base myself for my fact finding mission. I will post again as soon as I have the flight details. I hope everyone is well. Thanks again, Brian.

Let me know your specific dates and budget so I can look a place for you. There are expats in Cebu who are renting their place as well. I will check with the city hotel who is owned by an American retired veteran.

Pinaymentor

Hi
Thats a very good option,Cebu is a beautiful place to stay,a tourist pots,aside from that philippines is a nice country,if you consider to think,economy in IRELAND,is a very big problem at this moment,In Philippines,you can start even in a little business,and make it grow.and you must find a real woman to marry too,that can help you to grow up in business,although i know foreigner can,t do business by their own if they are not married to a local woman,but i appreciate your good plan...

God BLESS,,,

REGARDS,

ROLITHA,CAJES

bgq

My cousin is soon launching her business in Davao if you are interested. The City of Davao is typhoon free - hence its a less worry for floods and other calamities.

In the Philippines, there are rules about foreigners owning a business. Owning 100% should consider looking at the SEC's guideline because retail, hospitality business are simply not available for foreginers to own solely.

However you can own a business with a business venture with Filipinos.

You also need to consider the visa that suits you best.

Hi there , if you are willing to buy a house and lot in cebu i could help you if you are still interested we could discuss it and you may email me at [email protected], just tell me what time you will be online. Hope to hear from you soon. have a nice day!

HI,

What you think best for you,go on dont hesitate.try to know everything first legally,and if you think,you like cebu.then make your decission.goodluck....

HI BRIAN,

The best thing you do,observe,and do some plan,but will give you best shots,dont trust caused you dont know the people you meet.although there are real nice people,but very often is real.but if you really interested.i know someone.there nice people.there my coleage here in hongkong,and there already for good in philippines and have there own business,they are from cebu proper.i,m not advertising them for purpose but to help you.

if you consider my opinion email me to my add.

[email protected]

and i will give there email add and contact number.

I know Cebu is good.  But did you consider other areas yet?

[moderated: no free ads please]

Hi brian, im soon going to Cebu, the people are very nice and friendly, beautiful place tropical, and has lots of activities.As for the room or apartment it's best you rent driver or scooter and check the neighborhoods that you like.You can get a decent one for about 300 to 400 usd, depending on your lifestyle and likes.Try to find 1 trustworthy person, and be very careful with your spending.Ill be there for few months, but will go back next year.I will be glad to be your friend, also besides CEBU you should consider Dumaquete lots of forigners there.Always use common sense it's really the key.Wishing you the best of luck.Bori.

P.s. I forgot to tell you once at airport before getting your passport you can ask for the new visa extention good for 6 months, about 200 usd give or take.Ill let you know soon cuz I'll be going there soon.Best if you go and explore first take your time don't rush it.Get to know the place and people, not all are trustworthy.Stay in contact if you like, im also considering CEbu, but I've been there before and have a better idea this time around, best is to rent, less headaches.Good luck.