Negotiating salary and benefits in Mexico

Hello everyone,

Better job prospects in Mexico can most certainly be an incentive to leave your country of origin. Securing a contract with the right salary and benefits for you can be crucial to make your move successful.

Is salary and benefits negotiation regarded as common practice in Mexico? If yes, how should you go about negotiating your package (during the hiring process, on a monthly/yearly basis...)?

What do you expect to be included in terms of benefits in your package? Which benefits do you deem necessary in Mexico?

Is tax on the salary of an expat applicable in Mexico or do you have to turn to tax bodies in your country of origin to pay your taxes?

Do the exchange rates of currencies impact your salary as an expat?

Looking back, are there some changes you would have made during the negotiation of your salary and benefits package?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Bhavna

Jobs in Mexico are not a given, salaries equal to your native country are definitely not a given.

Getting a job and being transferred to Mexico is the only viable avenue I know of other than maybe opening a well-researched business.

The natives are having a hard time making a livable wage and getting a job. The preference in Mexico is to hire natives.

Have a job coming in or have an income.

By the time I move there, I will have my pension, Social Security, etc. which I plan to live on.  If I get a part-time job teaching English or playing the organ at some church, that will be for pocket money.