The jobs that are the most in-demand for expats in Mexico

Hello,

We invite you to share some information regarding the job market for expats in Mexico. This information will be incredibly helpful to anyone considering moving there, so we're very grateful for your contribution.

What are the types of jobs that are easily accessible to expats in Mexico?

What are the ones most in-demand for expats?

Which industry and/or jobs have limited workforce?

Are there any existing surveys, data, or reports done regarding this topic?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

I bought a car and I am driving Uber. I like it but it can be stressful driving in Mexico. I am my own boss and I get to work when I want.

I am retired by choice, so all I can say is what others have told me. 

Recently Mexico decided that all grades should learn English so there would be teaching jobs for people who qualify. They stepped down from their learning Mayan idea as a priority. Tourism ya know, not a big market for mayan visitors.

There is also a need for teachers to teach nursing, needless to say those requirements would be specific and significant. I was asked if I would like to teach nursing and said no , even though I would qualify.

Resorts are always interested in talking to people who are bilingual.

I really have no idea cause i am retired, and everyone i know is retired to, Our extent of work
is doing for our friends at no charge.

I teach an online project management course that helps students become/maintain their professional certification. This works well as long as I have a dependable Internet connection, otherwise it is a no-go.

I assume your Spanish is pretty good, right?

No, not good at all. About the same level as some 3 year old. Still trying to get better, though. Practice, practice... Classes (online) are taught primarily in English, since they are for worldwide and not country-specific.

Is it possible to work as a veterinary technician as a expat?

Just outside of GDL you'll find several very new industrial parks.  They are of course tecno businesses.  The bus' to downtown pass there.  The bus stops at certain hours look like an Olympic village, we got white ones, browns, black ones, yellow ones   Lots of East Indians, and Asians.  They get on the buss.  They seem content enough.  They'll do your paper work and house you.

major1943 wrote:

No, not good at all. About the same level as some 3 year old. Still trying to get better, though. Practice, practice... Classes (online) are taught primarily in English, since they are for worldwide and not country-specific.

You know what worked for me?  Hang out with children.  They're not critical and can be at your level.

I like that idea. I'll give it a try. Thanks for pointing this out.

I translate for people who don't speak engish.

Oh you do?  Even if one speaks perfect English to whom would one speak it to?   :top:

Mostly americans

Here's an off beat gig you can get in Mexico .. a musician.  Been doing it for years, never been hassled.  In GDL it usually pays 500P a night. 

Here's another you would probably never get hassled for .. a supplier.   You'd need to go around to the ma and pa grocery stores and and ask them what they'd need that's unreliable from local suppliers.   Or make suggestion on what they might need but don't know it yet, like sea salt, or confection sugar, or half and half. 

And it doesn't have to be groceries.  My buddy did it with wooden toys he bought in bulk in Michoacan.  The impulse market is a hit here, as the folks are definitely impulsive. 

Or open a taco or hotdog street stand.  You'd need a trusted employee tho.  It'd look a little queer for a Gringo to be flipping tortillas.  There are lots of people sending their kids to college and paying their mortgage doing just that, 3-4 hours per night. 

Daycare English Academy.  It'd be a bit of an investment, chairs, desks (picnic or patio tables work too) whiteboard, teaching aids etc.  Parents eat that stuff up!

If you really need to make some money you can learn how to make Tostitos and supply all of the oxxo' s in your area.My son does this and does pretty well.

jonny danger wrote:

Here's an off beat gig you can get in Mexico .. a musician.  Been doing it for years, never been hassled.  In GDL it usually pays 500P a night. 

Here's another you would probably never get hassled for .. a supplier.   You'd need to go around to the ma and pa grocery stores and and ask them what they'd need that's unreliable from local suppliers.   Or make suggestion on what they might need but don't know it yet, like sea salt, or confection sugar, or half and half. 

And it doesn't have to be groceries.  My buddy did it with wooden toys he bought in bulk in Michoacan.  The impulse market is a hit here, as the folks are definitely impulsive. 

Or open a taco or hotdog street stand.  You'd need a trusted employee tho.  It'd look a little queer for a Gringo to be flipping tortillas.  There are lots of people sending their kids to college and paying their mortgage doing just that, 3-4 hours per night. 

Daycare English Academy.  It'd be a bit of an investment, chairs, desks (picnic or patio tables work too) whiteboard, teaching aids etc.  Parents eat that stuff up!

This store supply idea sounds interesting. I have good sized trucks and trailers and feel comfortable driving.

Wondering about zipping around doing this in the Baja. Perhaps getting some supplies in San Diego from wholesalers.

softdown wrote:
jonny danger wrote:

This store supply idea sounds interesting. I have good sized trucks and trailers and feel comfortable driving.

Wondering about zipping around doing this in the Baja. Perhaps getting some supplies in San Diego from wholesalers.

On highway 1 going south about the time you hit the BC/BCS border the highway goes East over the mountains to the coast of The Sea of Cortez.  That stretch is called La Espalda del Diablo.  Rated number 1 most dangerous highway in the World. https://youtu.be/F0rGMKdCqh8

Gringo products rule here.  Even used clothing.  Stuff that goes bang tops them all tho.  Quality makeup too.   Also you can get orders from folks before you leave, personal items like sport shoes (not Chinese). Auto parts, Quality appliances,  Boutique clothing.  Computer parts.  There's a name for that profession: Fiuquero.

There's a website .. The Craigslist of Mexico, in fact there are two .. Segundamano and Mercado Libre.  Both pretty active and "free."

Happy hunting!

jonny danger wrote:
softdown wrote:
jonny danger wrote:

On highway 1 going south about the time you hit the BC/BCS border the highway goes East over the mountains to the coast of The Sea of Cortez.  That stretch is called La Espalda del Diablo.  Rated number 1 most dangerous highway in the World. https://youtu.be/F0rGMKdCqh8

Gringo products rule here.  Even used clothing.  Stuff that goes bang tops them all tho.  Quality makeup too.   Also you can get orders from folks before you leave, personal items like sport shoes (not Chinese). Auto parts, Quality appliances,  Boutique clothing.  Computer parts.  There's a name for that profession: Fiuquero.

There's a website .. The Craigslist of Mexico, in fact there are two .. Segundamano and Mercado Libre.  Both pretty active and "free."

Happy hunting!

"If we add that is one of the routes with more assaults, robberies and even murders, it becomes one of the most dangerous roads."

Seems fitting since I live so close to Colorado's "toughest" public 4 wd trail. Even hiking it is arduous.

All those Northern highways are tuff.  An option too would be to drive to the closest Mex border town and ship the stuff.  Maybe with more than one company so it looks like a smaller load.  Mex shipping is something I've had good luck with.  You can bring some items for me if you want, motorbike and computer parts.  Keep in touch.