Things to do with little people in Las Terrenas and beyond

Good morning all,

Our grandsons (6 and 8) are coming to visit us for a week in August.  They will most likely just want to spend time in the pool and building sandcastles on the beach with grandma and grandpa, however, I am looking for ideas for some day excursions either in LT or nearby.

Also if there is a must do/see outside of the general LT area that might require an overnight stay elsewhere, I am open to those suggestions as well.

Is there a book / website of things to do with littles in the DR that you can recommend?  We have 13 grands (ages 1 to 14) and would like ideas for activities for the various age groups.

Thanks much in advance.

Las Terrenas Tracy

Sorry I can't help you with this part.....

The beaches of Las Terrenas are indeed the best attraction and a good safe section of beach is at the west end of Playa Las Ballenas which is wide and gently sloping so the water does not get deep quickly and to add it is generally  calm and sheltered. You will need to bring some shade. It is a popular beach at weekends with families from the capital but never too crowded.

On the other side of Loma Bonita is another section of shetered and gently sloping beach and is part of Playa Bonita and so accessed on the way out of town.

For children of the age you mention, a boat trip to Parques Los Haitises may be a fun thing for them. Children do like caves and you will have them with a history of pirates too. It is a wonderful haven in my opinion.

If you decide to venture further field on Samana peninsula and towards Las Galeras and Playa Rincon, a visit to the iguana sancturay might be of interest. No fee but you tip the owners. Another nice boat trip adventure is to Playa Fonton from Las Galeras.

A trip or ven an overnight stay at the Dominican Tree House Hotel could add some excitement but they will be too young I suspect for the zip line there. That is north of Samana town with a turn off the Las Galeras road.

As always the MITUR site 'godominicanrepublic' has some great information:

http://www.godominicanrepublic.com/samana/

Slightly further afield before Cabrera you have El Dudu which seems a popular inland lagoon for families.

Usually in August there is a Sailing Camp for kids in at the end of Playa Ballenas.

It's week long and begins in very shallow water. Great experience for kids and the owners have been flexible if you want to do just 1 day.

There's also a Facebook page for Las Terrenas where you will find posts from time to time on kids activities.

Also in the town of Samana you can take an 8 minute boat ride to the island of Cayo Levantado (Barcardi Island).

Kids tend to love the boat ride and you can have lunch there also. Beach is gorgeous.

Doesn't require an overnight stay. Most people go for about 4 hours or so. Our uncle is a tour guide in Samana, speaks English, and can arrange the boat ride if you're interested.

Also back in Las Terrenas towards Punta Popi beach is a great place to fly kites. Also there's a great coconut stand at the beach parking area that's always fun for kids to get a fresh fun drink.

Don't hesitate to mesaage me if you need more