Moving to the DR with kids (?!)

Hello everyone!

I am planning to move to Dominican Republic over the summer, My family and I grew up on this beautiful island up until my early thirties  .. I then got a job offer in the States and have stayed there ever since. I have a young 13-year-old boy now who you could say is VERY westernized -nothing wrong with that- he just grew up very differently than myself and doesn't realize the value in simple things. I am worried he will not adapt very well as he is in his "attitude" years and does not like the idea of moving at all... especially to a different country.

Are there any other western families who have moved with teens to the island? if so, what were your experiences?

How did you transition (school, activities, friends)??

Any expat neighborhoods you would recommend with kids?

Any help would be greatly appreciated !!

chichasdetampa welcome to the forum.
Lot of info and good people here to give you answers.
What part of the country are you looking at as that will help answer some of your questions.

Bob K

I second that welcome. I have lived in various parts of the country and love it. Yes - where are you considering moving to?

My guess - its a tough time for your son to transition.  Disclaimer - i have no kids! I am just an observer!

Thank you for the warm welcome! We are looking primarily in Santo Domingo (due to friends and family), but our main concern is safety as you know you have to be careful in many areas.. so we are pretty flexible in terms of location if it meets requirements(:
I would like to get a foreigner's perspective on things to do (for teens), Schools maybe if you had anything to say on this?

Hi chicasdetampa. My husband and I live in the Bella Vista neighborhood of Santo Domingo. We love it here since it's near the Mirador Park and it's quite and safe. We are also close to many supermarkets, malls and restaurants. There are several bilingual school in the area including Carol Morgan and New Horizon.

Santo Domingo has several good quality neighborhoods and good schools.

But its a big noisy city with serious traffic issues.

Culturally it has lots to offer and i assume lots for teenagers!!!

I will be following your saga as I too have a 13 year old who is NOT interested in moving...But, I feel he could benefit from the exposure...Still, my plan is to let him finish high school here in the States...My 10 year old daughter is a different story...