Language barriers in Mauritius

Hello,

Learning a new language is a part of the expat process. Let's find out how crucial it is to know the language in Mauritius.

What is the official language in Mauritius, and what are the other popular spoken languages?

Is it possible to live in Mauritius and get by without speaking the language?

How do you manage to communicate with the locals if you don't speak the native/official language fluently?

What are some popular and useful phrases that expats absolutely need to know?

Can you share some tips about how to survive in Mauritius on a daily basis without speaking the language?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

I actually tried to learn Creole from a Creole teacher here but had a bad experience.

You can get by in touristic areas with English or French but people will try to charge you more for things like taxis, food, goods, short change you etc.

Does anyone know of any Mauritian females in Grand Baie willing to hang out with me and practice Creole?! I have some basic knowledge. Or female Creole teachers.

Many thanks
Sandya

Hi,
I have no problem with language, as I speak and understand 7 languages.

Will be happy to teach French to English people or English to French people moving to Mauritius.
at their time and place, hence plan flexible schedule.

All the best!

Is it possible to get by with only very basic French?  How easy and polite is it considered to be using English? I know English is the official language, but is it in every day use? Also, are people patient if you try and speak Creole with them while you are learning and not very good?  :)

Cheers!

Jeremy. x

Hi,

Both English and french are the official language in Mauritius. Creole is the mother tongue. We have lots of expats in Mauritius just using English or French as their means of communication. Language is not a barrier in Mauritius, it is a multi cultured with multi languages country.

Hope this helps.

Is Creole an easy language to learn?

Nothing is easy.. But creole is very similar to French. if you learn french you can manage Creole too

Memorise.com is great for learning creole basics, lots words similar to French. I hadn't spoken french in over 20 years & found this website great!