Autism/Special Education Support Worker

Hi there,

I am currently looking at making the move from Vancouver, Canada to Nairobi. I work as a special education assistant here in the school system and have an extensive background in supporting youth and children with Autism in the school, community and home environments. I was wondering if anyone has any leads as to where may be hiring a similar to position? Thanks in advance!

Hello,  Please note that you must have a work permit to be employed in Kenya in either a voluntary or paid capacity.  The work permit MUST be applied for from your home country, so even if you travel to Kenya and are successful in securing a job, you would have to immediately return home to commence the work permit application process.

Special education and services, particularly regarding autistic spectrum disorders are very much in their infancy in Kenya.  To obtain work in Kenya, you really need to be filling a skills gap. 

The Kenyan government are in the middle of an exercise to crack down hard on foreigners in the country, particularly work permit holders and those married to Kenyans.  Going forward it may well be rather more difficult to obtain a work permit than it has been in the past.