New to Trondheim

Hi all,  :D

I am a very spontaneous lady from the Netherlands who is going to live in Trondheim end of this month. Of course, I am very excited but also a bit scared because I do not master the Norwegian language yet. I have heard it is hard to connect with Norwegian people so before I even move I reach out to you all. Let's become friends and inspire each other! Maybe we can learn a thing or two :) Feel free to send me a message.

Hi,

I came to Trondheim from the UK. I've lived here for 7 years.

It took me the best part of 4.5 years to actually get a job, so those early years were quite difficult.
I'm not sure what your skills are, or in what area, but I can tell you that here in Trondheim, who you know, rather than what you know can make a big difference.  Also, when looking for work. the best policy is to go and actually talk to the people you are applying to rather than just sending an application or CV by  email.  That can have a much more positive effect as that is just the way things are done here.

I would not have a lot of faith in the employment agencies here, as many of them are the most impersonal, ignorant assholes on the face of the Earth who don't care about you in the slightest, but rather how much money they can make out of you.

There is a general consensus that Norwegians are good in English and therefore getting a job as an English speaker should be easy, and whilst that may apply in some parts of the Country, it is certainly not so here in Trondheim. The truth is that "some" Norwegians are good in English whilst most hardly ever use it and are certainly not "good",  and can be quite shy to use it in practice as they don't feel confident (even though they've been exposed to it their whole lives). If they choose to speak English then you're fine, if they don't want to then it can be difficult. In my local shop they don't speak English, even though they can, so just for fun, I speak English to them and they speak Norsk to me, we both understand each other so who cares lol, I won't budge and neither will they, so it's a bit of a funny stand-off.

I could write all day about my experiences here, but I'm at work right now, so I'd best get something done :D

You're welcome, see if we can make contact