Do Norwegian men date foreign women?

Surely there are obviously some who probably do but is it common to see? I was in Norway for a few weeks and couldn't believe how many handsome men I saw. I think Norwegian men are the best looking I have seen. I tried to strike up some conversation with a few I met but they were not very talkative but would stare at me an awful lot. The only time one actually tried to talk to me was at a club and he was drunk as a skunk...My friend told me that they probably stare because i am colored, which made me feel pretty weird. Is it uncommon to see Norwegian men dating women of different race? What with the staring?

I don't think that they were staring because you are 'coloured', I think that they were staring because you are pretty handsome yourself!

There are lots of Norwegian men who have fallen for the charms of the many foreign au-pairs here, Filipino's, Thai's etc.

I guess that the men here are the same as men anywhere, a bit shy when it comes to talking to pretty girls.

Relax, there is nothing wrong!

I'm half thai, and i'm dating a Norwegian man! :)

I've been working in norway on and off for 4 years and although I look like I might be Norwegian (tall, blue eyes, know my way around a pair of skis) I have the same experience, except for the week during the ski races earlier this month when the whole center of town was full of drunk people! I think they're just a fairly reserved crowd, both men and women.

The female Norwegian friends I have are friends for life though, once I got through the long getting-to-know-you process

ECS wrote:

I've been working in norway on and off for 4 years and although I look like I might be Norwegian (tall, blue eyes, know my way around a pair of skis) I have the same experience, except for the week during the ski races earlier this month when the whole center of town was full of drunk people! I think they're just a fairly reserved crowd, both men and women.

The female Norwegian friends I have are friends for life though, once I got through the long getting-to-know-you process

I think that you are so right ECS, many Norwegians are very reserved, conservative, easily shocked, prone to get very drunk if beer is free! etc.

It does take a long time to settle in properly!

Hi Hanifam!

Such an excellent question, thanks for bringing this up! 

Yes, Norwegian men DO - upon occasion - date and marry foreign women, including those from India as well as other places where people have better "tans" than they do here! 

Even though I also look (and am genetically) Norsk, I get plenty of stares on the street because I tend to wear hats that they don't wear here.  I think they are just trying to understand, see and appreciate this different thing they are seeing, whether it's on you, or just you!  I consider this a plus when it comes to starting a conversation with someone.  One guy actually stopped me on the street to ask, "Why are you wearing a hat like that?"!  (It was just a funny berber-material hat I had made.)  He was about 70.

I think they are very curious, interested, but also slightly unwilling to take risks by opening up conversations themselves.  Learn as much Norwegian as quickly as you can to ease this natural - and understangable - resistance. I think it just makes us easier to trust, somehow. Going on match.no or another dating site is a fun way to learn vocabulary!  ;)

Good luck!  And know that you are highly lovable.  If you know this, they'll get it too!  Just be your beautiful self.

Kristine

Hi girl! My name is Natalina.

I've known my Norwegian boyfriend for 3 years, and we have been together for two and a half, living together for two! So yes, they do, like in any other place in the world, cultural differences can be hard, but it's not impossible!

Since half a year I've been living here in Oslo, and I am starting to get to know the Norwegian citizens. And for what I've been told, when a Norwegian guy stares at you he is flirting with you. Now I am half Italian, born in Spain, and flirting back in the south is absolutely not just staring at someone, but here in Norway it is! So he probably didn't stare because your tinted, but because he liked you ;).

(Moderated: keep this type of comment for you)

noapology wrote:

(Moderated: keep this type of comment for you)

Duly reported your post.

Racist and right wing views have no place in Norway, as proved after the appalling events, committed by a nobody with similar views this summer!

Hi
  i am a Ugandan living in Denmark and i must say that Yes they do date foreign women,as i am in a relationship with a Norwegian man now it is 4 years.Although it does take time to get accepted and yes they really do stare! Now i know that it is actually flirting.
  They talk more after some beers and are so offensively  proud and they spend a lot , so one must basically  expect that upon meeting them.
Otherwise i have never been happier in my life and am grateful to have met my Norwegian love.

hanifam wrote:

Surely there are obviously some who probably do but is it common to see? I was in Norway for a few weeks and couldn't believe how many handsome men I saw. I think Norwegian men are the best looking I have seen. I tried to strike up some conversation with a few I met but they were not very talkative but would stare at me an awful lot. The only time one actually tried to talk to me was at a club and he was drunk as a skunk...My friend told me that they probably stare because i am colored, which made me feel pretty weird. Is it uncommon to see Norwegian men dating women of different race? What with the staring?

We love foreign women, but I am afraid our dating and flirting culture leaves much to be desired.. I don't know if it's the cold climate or what it is, but I understand that it comes off creepy, and I think we could do with a little more communicative approach.. But mostly, we're good guys, just a bit shy. Also, we are a little afraid of speaking english at first.. A couple of beers loosens the toungue.. :-)

So to conclude, we welcome foreign girls with open arms! :-)

I must agree,they are the most handsome men i have seen :)and yes the Beer does help start the communication and especially if it has to be in English.
  However it does take quite some time for them to come around as they seem to hold back on many issues,i guess there are some insecurities or fears they have when it comes to foreign women! That fades away with time.
I met my Norwegian in  Club but  the chemistry can not keep us apart so yes,they do mix. I am glad i was out that night.
  Bottom line we are all human and the heart wants what it wants...:)

How about Norwegian women. do they date foreign men ??:)

haha nice one aissa02 !

Just a general comment to the topic: Yes Norwegians are reserved people - I also think most are uncomfortable if foreign men hug Norwegian men or something which is common in many other cultures or even males kissing - it's all about the comfort zone and different cultures have different opinions of it.

People in Norway just dont strike up conversations with strangers the way they do in India.

Norwegian men dating foreign women is actually more common then not here in Norway. Personally i come from a very international family, my father is married to a philisophy professor from Ucraine. My one uncle has a wife from thailand, another uncle with a japanese girlfriend. My grandfather lived many years in china as a sailor before meeting my grandmother here. And my wife is the former sales director of greenhills in the Philippines.

Statistically a majority of norwegian men are finding life partners outside of norway, and norwegian women also find husbands from philipines, turkey, iraq, spain, italy and greece.
"mixed partnerships" is very common, and historically norway has always been a very multicultured country. From the tinn-trade that connected tromsø to bangladesh, to the porcelen trade with china which led to a massive immigration from asia.

We are fascinated by the exoticism of certain nationalities, and pardon my saying but the brown skin of many people is exotic, beautiful and fascinating compared to our pale snow-white skin caused by the long winters.

And yes, the staring is a form of flirting. We are generally a bit shy and it useally takes time to get the "friend status". But once we are friends, we are loyal to the end.

Well iam glad people brought this issue up so foreigners who live there or willing to live there will know what to expect.I believe we are all get fascinated and attracted to what we don't have white people tend to like tanned people and the other way around so it's just natural ! :) best of luck for all those singles in their love search :D

who does not want to date..

I am South African and I am dating a Norwegian guy. I have known him since 2009 but he is back in Norway now. In multicultural or multiracial relationships there will will always be stares.

I think everywhere in the world there are stereotypes but you do find those who are really open minded and I am sure you will find someone like as well.

Good luck :-).

Just one question for you guys:

Do Norwegian gay men date foreign gay men? Are they attracted to dark-haired pale-skinned guys?

Thanks in advance.

Iker

Hello IkerAndini.

Just to remind you that the thread title is Do Norwegian men date foreign women? Kindly stick to the subject. ;)

Thank you,
Aurélie

I am from Philippines, Im proud to say that i am married to a norwegian. They are very kind, down to earth, love outdoors sports and very warm. They appreciate my color and my culture. We have our own both worlds and we respect it.

Sorry to stray slightly off topic again, but @IkerAndoni I know many Norwegian gay men who date foreign men. It doesn't seem to be a problem.

With regards to Norwegian men dating foreign women, I think that's quite normal too. I know many Norwegian men who have a foreign wife. I think a lot of Norwegians find the idea quite exotic and exciting.

hahahahaha im the first from Thailand (may be)

Superanjanet: lol what do you mean by "They respect my colour"
There are actually far more people with dark skin than light skin in the world, and with black hair.

But I know what you mean, it's good things are fine with you and your husband, but I supose you just refered to some cultures that don't get along with other cultures, and sadly we have many ethnic and religious tensions in the world.

New-in-norway... Respects our culture differences and appreciate my color, thats what i meant... Respect and appreciate has a different meaning...

Superranjanet: Okay you are right about that

LOL.!

pinpin wrote:

hahahahaha im the first from Thailand (may be)

:D

There is alot of girls from Thailand and those places around here, mostly dating older guys that wouldn't get any luck with Norwegian girls.

My girlfriend is from England, it shouldn't be hard for girls at all to start dating a Norwegian. most guys might be to shy to ask you out, but still. It is with girls here like there is everywhere else. Most guys would stare at a pretty women ;)

Hi would love to try a csincere
genuine loving caring Nowigian

im ugandan too n my boyfriend is norwegian,n yes thy can love daate and marry black women

ivol,infact im ugandan too n dating a norwegian guy,thy r kind,loving...n yes,thy can date african women,i dont think thy r racist,ivol,maybe we cud be facebook frnds n my facebook id is hady fatty

cosa voi dire se voi sapere i bianchi sono razisti da sempre ma non si fano vedere e sarano sempre...

Hi Lena buju !

Could we keep it in English please?

Thanks
Armand

[Moderated. Not a dating website, sorry]

Nice and sweet girl

Yes Norwegian men date foreign women.....I am from the Bahamas and am currently communicating with a Norwegian man. I am black and we get along great.

Wow...despite your polite answer one would quickly think you felt somewhat distressed and offended when I asked my question. Do you have anything against gay men? Because I do have big issues with those who donŽt respect gay men like me. And, just in case you havenŽt realized, the woman who created the thread you are so keen on preserving has said nothing against me asking. So stop trying acting like you own the place and donŽt even try to take it over as if it was yours. There is one thing called freedom of speech and it finishes when it reaches othersŽ.

Thanks dmcart13 for your help and polite answer. It has been really helpful and it has really cheered me up!

IkerAndoni wrote:

Wow...despite your polite answer one would quickly think you felt somewhat distressed and offended when I asked my question. Do you have anything against gay men? Because I do have big issues with those who donŽt respect gay men like me. And, just in case you havenŽt realized, the woman who created the thread you are so keen on preserving has said nothing against me asking. So stop trying acting like you own the place and donŽt even try to take it over as if it was yours. There is one thing called freedom of speech and it finishes when it reaches othersŽ.

Thanks dmcart13 for your help and polite answer. It has been really helpful and it has really cheered me up!

No need to be offended, it's just that forum threads make more sense if the conversation keeps inline with the topic of the original post (don't forget people might find this thread in the future too).

Why don't you start a new thread, then you can get loads of peoples experiences related to living in Norway as a gay man? I know a few and thinking about it, they ALL have foreign partners! Give it a try! :)

Thank you so much for your kind and patient reply. I will keep it in mind in case I need it in the future!