Flying to Malta with dog on Air Malta

I've had my maisonettes  in St Paul's since 1972 so everything is sorted as far as housing is concerned. Anyway, we put off selling up in the UK completely as my husband needed an op and loves his garden. Until recently, we've really split our time between the UK and Malta (luckily having good dog sitters)

With Brexit this is no longer an option. We've sold up and completion is on the 5th October so I've got to arrange dog air flight  to Malta. The first problem is that although the Air Malta website suggests that you can send dogs as excess baggage (£150) you have to book a flight in order to book your dog as excess baggage. They can say that there is no space and then of course you have to rebook. Anyway tried for the 4th October

Air Malta are s***

1. Just informed me that no space is available as excess baggage until January and Dusty must go as cargo! They took a whole 2.5 days and three  phone calls to tell  me this.
2. Air Malta cargo does not deal with individuals only agents. Therefore I must use a pet travel co.
3. Pet travel co informs me that Air Malta only fly pets from Gatwick on Monday. No pet travel from Heathrow! Cost £433 versus £150. They are currently checking

Did I say just how much I loathe Gatwick. Heathrow Airport is much more convenient for me and as I said, Gatwick is the pits.

Can anyone please add anything to this and tell me their experience with Air Malta? Is it true that they only fly from London Gatwick on Monday with no travel from Heathrow? Has anyone successfully managed to get their dog as excess baggage on an Air Flight from the UK?

This subject has been covered before in detail so previous posts may help you, good luck.

There are lots of posts about the various mechanics of importing dogs into Malta but none about actually flying dogs from UK to Malta using Air Malta cargo.

Still looking for answers

Can you try a different Airline? Why does it have to be Air Malta?

The only other airline that fly from the UK to Malta is Thomas Cook. They fly from Gatwick on Tuesdays I believe. Again not helpful particularly as I have been forced into buying an air ticket with Air Malta so I could supposedly book Dusty in as excess baggage!

As I said , you have to have a booking to book a pet as excess baggage on Air Malta

No one is forced into buying a ticket, and you are wrong. There are lots of airlines that fly into Malta from the UK. But as you already seem to have the answer so, not sure why you are asking for help.

Not sure why the rant about Air Malta just because you 'don't like Gatwick', 'don't want your dog to fly cargo' and 'don't know that many other airlines fly to Malta'.

At least Air Malta will fly your dog, many won't.

svale wrote:

The only other airline that fly from the UK to Malta is Thomas Cook. They fly from Gatwick on Tuesdays I believe. Again not helpful particularly as I have been forced into buying an air ticket with Air Malta so I could supposedly book Dusty in as excess baggage!

As I said , you have to have a booking to book a pet as excess baggage on Air Malta

Easy Jet, Jet 2,Ryan Air, British Airways and there's probably more fly to Malta.

You could always go cross country either by car or train?

Or you could have stayed in the UK anyway as Brexit is not going to stop you traveling to the Maltese Islands!

F0xgl0ve wrote:

Or you could have stayed in the UK anyway as Brexit is not going to stop you traveling to the Maltese Islands!

Yes, good point indeed.

F0xgl0ve wrote:

wow, "if you dont like it go back to your country" much? This is incredibly rude and the kind of comment I expect from the worst segment of Maltese culture.  Going a bit native are we?

There are indeed only 2 airlines who fly PETS from UK to Malta.  Read between the lines people.

IME you'll be dealing with Gatwick, might as well make peace with it.  Pay a agent let them go to the airport for you, worked a treat for me.  All pets leaving UK goes as cargo.

It's not nothing to do with being rude, it's just in her post she made it seem that because of Brexit they have had to sell up in the UK and move permanently to Malta which at the moment is not the case.

I would read the opening post again, they have had property in Malta for the last 45 years, so they could have kept both, one back in the UK and the other in Malta as a holiday home.

volcane wrote:
F0xgl0ve wrote:

wow, "if you dont like it go back to your country" much? This is incredibly rude and the kind of comment I expect from the worst segment of Maltese culture.  Going a bit native are we?

There are indeed only 2 airlines who fly PETS from UK to Malta.  Read between the lines people.

IME you'll be dealing with Gatwick, might as well make peace with it.  Pay a agent let them go to the airport for you, worked a treat for me.  All pets leaving UK goes as cargo.

Not being rude at all!

Seems you don't actually read the posts properly before commenting.

I did not mention or even hint at 'going back to your own country', because they are still there and do not reside in Malta.
I mentioned that there was no reason to move because of Brexit, they already had properties in both countries and divided their time between the two and there is no reason to think they would not have been able to continue to do so after the UK leaves the EU.

Yes, there are only two airlines that will fly your dog but that is not Air Malta's fault, nor is it their fault that the OP does not like Gatwick, does not want there dog to fly cargo etc.etc. The homework presumably had not been done as the OP said there were only two airlines that fly to Malta! (No mention of whether they fly dogs or not)

The issue is that we can't reside permanently in Malta after Brexit as there are restrictions on third party nationals. We were always planning to retire permanently but this has now been forward. For the past year we were only staying in the UK as my husband needed an op and this kept on being postponed, We cannot keep on commuting beween the UK and Malta. Anyway, this is irrelevant.

My posting was really to get some feedback about anyone who had used Air Malta to fly dogs into Luqa - not anything else. Yes there are other airlines who fly to Malta but  all the bucket airlines - Easyjet Ryan Air etc do not fly pets. To my knowledge only Air Malta and Thomas Cook do.

None of the replies so far really help me

AS a BTW, I have it clarified by Air Malta that despite their website, they do not currently accept pets as excess baggage from the UK. Unfortunately this is not what I was originally told by the Air Malta ticketing agent (who also said there was no restriction on flights - I asked)

svale wrote:

AS a BTW, I have it clarified by Air Malta that despite their website, they do not currently accept pets as excess baggage from the UK. Unfortunately this is not what I was originally told by the Air Malta ticketing agent (who also said there was no restriction on flights - I asked)

As I said earlier here:

This a rule in the UK, they all go cargo. You can stop looking, it's not going to change.

As for Brexit, you simply do not know - yes, its prudent to make a move I bet, but once we leave EU and if thats going to be a problem anyway as you'll still be a TCN in the EU.  The only people who will be better off for being here pre-brexit are ones who have been here 5 years and have a perm residency (or can apply for them). 

In practise though I think the Maltese have already said it's not going to be a problem for UK people to come here and the proposed transition period means you'll probably have the same rights you have now till 2020.  Anyway its irrelevant as you say we're not here to talk about Brexit, we should help people with their actual problem, its a shame this forum seem to have turned incredibly toxic in the last few months towards newcomers

Weird; the Air Malta website is quite clear.  For direct flights from the UK you have 3 options:

Pet in Cabin (with restrictions)
Pet checked in as hold luggage (again with restrictions)
Cargo (unrestricted)

They also seem to offer it on the LHR direct flight.

It does say in the small print that all animal flights Malta > UK are cargo only: I suspect that's because of the UK veterinary inspection rules and applies to all international flights arriving in the UK and not all UK airports can accept live animals.

My experience (having run an air cargo setup for 5 years) is that regardless of how they actually travel, almost all animals will travel via the Air Cargo system (simply because of the paperwork for pets being freight documentation and that IATA cargo rule restrictions apply when overflying some countries with live animals on board, not dogs though, but the paperwork still gets done in case of diversion); this causes great confusion.  To clarify; if you turn up at the check-in desk in the UK with a pet to check-in, its documentation would have been done by someone like me as part of the pre-flight process.  At the end of the day, it's up to the respective airline whether they allow a pet in the cabin - they own the aircraft.

I haven't heard anything that's changed the basic system.

Back to the OP - I agree with avoiding LGW - it's a dreadful place. :)

I need to confirm but I've information that you can travel via Heathrow on km101 on Monday.

Apart from the actual airport, Gatwick is over twice the distance from me than Heathrow and I would be forced into the M25 during early morning rush hour. Been there, done it and got the t shirt. It is just so unpredictable and I dislike having to do this route when it is time critical. Yes I  will do it if  have to.

My rant was really about how I've been treated by Air Malta. If they could have given me the correct information in the first place, I'd feel better about it. It is the misinformation and struggle to find out what's happening that makes me so cross. If you know what you can do, it is a start

I flew my dog over from Manchester in January 2016, using Air Malta. I was told then he could travel in cabin with us, as long as he was in an approved carrier, and both dog and carrier weighed 6kilos or less, at that time my dog weighed 6kilos, so unfortunately plus carrier it was not possible , and so he had to go cargo. Air Malta gave us details of company they dealt with who could organise everything for us. A lot of paperwork, Vet passport hassle, and cash, ( think in total cost around €450 ) but got him here. We weren't going without him, so needs must. But make sure your Vet at home has signed ALL passport details, we got all necessary inoculations done and signed, but Vet actually forgot to sign part saying he was fit to fly. Cost me £60 at Manchester Airport to get another Vet out to sign that part.

I was working for Air Malta Customer Service almost 2 years and added several pet in passanger cabin (PETC) to bookings (first you make the booking and then you have to call to the CS for adding the PETC). Transportation rules changed frequently, but for flights from Malta to UK it always have been pet in cargo hold and this had to be booked via Air Malta Cargo, not the usual Air Malta Customer Service (the pet usually travels with a separate cargo aircraft, not the usual Air Malta passenger aircraft). Reason is, that the dog has to go directly from cargo to the quarantine shelter at the UK airport. 

For other EU-countries as well as for flights from UK to Malta, one person (over 16 yrs) can bring up to two small dogs/cats (as long as the fit in the flight bag with sufficient space - like puppies or chihuaha) for 70 Euro and this person also has to pre-book a window seat (safety reason for other pax). Before there was a limit of 3 PETC, but this was changed to the available number of window seats (excl. emergency and service seats) - so there's almost no problem to add the pet. Before it was always necessary to call the CS in order to check the already registered number of pets on the requested flight and to be on the safe side, passengers booked their ticket on the telephone - which actually only cost a few euro additional admin fee.

However, if the dog has to be carried as accompanied luggage (AVIH), there's still the need to check the available space, since they will be stored in a special compartment in the cargo hold, which is heated and illuminated. This service was mainly used for dogs over 10 kg (inkl. box) or if one passenger wanted to travel with two dogs, which do not fit in one travel bag. Other than going as a cargo, the pet booked as AVIH will go with the same aircraft as the accompanying person.

Ok, so why is there a confusion about transport conditions? Simply because of human incapabilities. This always have been a problem. And that's no surprise considering the personnel policy ... and the wage. Btw, the Air Malta Customer Service is conducted by an external call centre. If you need to rebook, add an extra service or need a new reservation due to missed or cancelled flight, you have to deal with the CS. There are some very capable people, who are working the call centre for years and know all the procedures by heart, but there's also the possibility that you will be connected to a fresh agent who just came from the training. Since all agent constantly work under pressure (number of taken calls and short average call handling duration are the basis for the performance bonus), it is/was not common to ask the superior in case of any troubles - just finish the caller and take the next.
But this happened more than 3 years ago, maybe the service has improved in the meantime ...

I flew with my dog as cargo last year from Heathrow on a Monday.
i arranged everything direct with air malta no agent or company by email
try emailing
[email protected]

(also this is the template i used) 

For the Air Transportation of Domestic Livestock:

Type & Breed of Animal:                   
Airport of Departure:                     Heathrow
Airport of Arrival:                             Malta
Transit Kennel Size:                         1 @ 40 x 27 x 30 inches – Weight 47kg

Airline:   Air Malta –  can the quote please contain freight charges, airline handling/FSC/ISC fee and VAT

Thank you very much for your time .

they were very helpful and everything went perfect.

svale wrote:

svale - thank you for this thread and posting.

Not sure I get the issue here from some comment providers. This information is current and extremely relevant. Air Malta is the only company that will let small dogs fly in the cabin direct from London airports. At least this is what their website states, and my wife and I were also making a decision on the basis of the information they provide within it.

So, svale, a big thanks from me at least. We were tossing up whether to fly or drive our two out there. This has convinced me that driving just sounds like a lot less grief and more reliable option. Our time frames are also the same as yours so no point even trying to book them on.

Cheers, Dan

OK. For my  cocker spaniel going out as cargo works out as £522 from Heathrow. Finally found out the truth:

1. Air Malta does fly pets as cargo from Heathrow as well as Gatwick
2. You can deal with Air Malta direct - they do not insist on an agent
3. They encourage you to fly on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday simply because there is more cargo space available then. That said, they have booked me on the morning flight on Thursday
4. You are obliged to fill in the Malta government form to inform the vet you are coming at least 48 hours before (I had various arguments with pet transport companies about this)
5. You must also get a pet passport which has the certification that your pet is healthy to fly
6. As said before Air Malta do not fly pets out as excess baggage from the UK
7. Do not under any circumstance expect Air Malta Customer Services to be of any use whatsoever. They would like to be helpful but the problem is that they do not have any contact with Air Malta Cargo. This means that any information they give out is likely to not be true.

Still a bit unsure about whether the worming is essential if you fly directly from the UK. I will do this on the just in case principle

Hiya, we did it last September. Yes I tried to go from Heathrow and it was a no go. I think the companies that transport pets have priority.  We brought our two shih Tzus over with air Malta. Only cost about £70 each dog. Was a right palava though. We had to book flights first. Then we had to check whether there was space for the dogs after. There was no space and we had to rebook. This time we were lucky. It did mean chatting on phone to air Malta in Malta on several occasions. You basically have to be patient with them coz they are a bloody pain! Even then after arranging everything we arrived at check in and they weren't aware that our dogs were booked on the flight. We then waited (and another gentleman with dog) for 45 minutes for someone to arrive and show us the area that the dogs needed to be. It seems like a bad memory now. Talulah and Pandora are fine, so persevere you will get there in the end. To be honest that could be said about lots of things, ha ha. We love it here, so good luck.

Did you get the rabies shot done already? Needs to be done all in the right order - microchip before rabies and rabies need 21 days etc

Hi.  Read your post with interest.  Don't know if this helps but:

I flew 2 cats out from LHR Air Malta direct to Malta with no problems, a few years ago.  They were in the hold and I was on the same flight.

I also flew a cat back from Malta direct to Heathrow, solo in the hold and the cat was collected by the Animal Welfare Reception Section and held for a couple of days before being picked up by a member of my family.

I can't recall the cost's but I don't recall them as being overly exorbitant and I didn't need a company to do it for me, just purchased the appropriate size travel box and did it all myself.

However, I now have a reverse problem as I want to take my very small dog (Pomeranian - less that 5kgs) back to the UK LHR with me for a few months, and have been quoted Euro 1,000 each way . . . Really ???  I have been to Air Malta cargo where the dog and box was weighed and have been told that the dog can not travel as excess baggage into LHR . . .
How does this fare with you wishing to bring your dog to Malta ?
I would be interested to know.

Hi. Am just contacting you as you seem pretty well informed with these matters of dog transportation.

I wish to travel back to LHR with Air Malta in early December 18 and take my small dog - Pomeranian, less than 5kgs and then return back at the end of January 2019. I understand that the only way he can travel to LHR is via Cargo, not excess luggage.
I have had the dog plus travelling box weighed at Air Malta Cargo and have been given a price of Euro 1,000 each way.
This seems an exorbitant price for such a tiny dog !!
I've lived in Malta for over 30 years and am well aware of inflated prices for certain things and services, but seriously 2,000 for a round trip.
Do you consider that this price sounds correct ?
I'm a Diamond Member Frequent Flyer Program - so my flights are free, excluding taxes . . . but to pay 2,000 euros for a teeny tiny dog   :joking:
I'd appreciate any advice you can give me.  Thanks.

Not that well informed but I thinking they having a laugh???
As I said about £70 , inflation hasn't increased that much since last September. According to websites at time dogs weighing less than 5 kg could be transported by your feet. I expect they get around this by taking into consideration weight of travelling box. Cargo fine, relax spray on bedding and they sleep the 3 hours. Don't know what to suggest except do what I did and check out websites to get all the facts and go back and argue. To be honest they are a very disorganised bunch  air Malta and Gatwick seems to be the favoured option for them ( no idea why). Be cheaper for you to fly back paying for your flight and paying for your Pom? Good luck. Persevere with the approx £70 price and let me know if you are successful?

Thanks for your reply.  I would sell my soul to the   ;) devil if I could transport my Pom for 70 euro !   Where did you get that price from, I'd love to know?

For me Gatwick is a bit of a faff, as my family home is just 10 mins from Heathrow and I actually know where the Animal Reception Centre is, in relation to T4, so if Mr. Pom is collected by ARC from the plane and taken directly to the ARC, I can either just get a taxi, or a member of my family will collect me and take me over there.  So all relatively straightforward. 

I'm not saying Gatwick is not do-able,  but I can't bear to think about the logistics as I am a registered disabled passenger (mobility and with a heart issue - so I can walk, but not long distances) and traveling alone I'm pretty sure I would struggle with the stress of it all and a taxi is not an option for that distance and neither would a family member come that far for me . . .  Sisterly love doesn't stretch that far.
Plus it might involve an overnight stay at Gatwick if the ARC need to keep him there overnight.  Not that I have a clue where the nearest ARC would be.
So Gatwick is not really on my radar, especially as will have to do the reverse procedure some 2 months later to return to Malta . . .

I took 2 cats to Malta with me many years ago from LHR - via Cargo Hold and that involved a 4.00am drop off at AM Cargo for the 10.50am flight.
To imagine doing that from Gatwick on my own is not an option.

Mr. Pom. fabulous as he is - is a bit of a "Mamma's Boy" and don't think he could be persuaded to be transformed into a "Service-Dog" by December, if at all  . . .  LOL

So my friend, if you could perhaps point me in the direction of finding that  elusive 70 euro, or roundabout super priced-ticket, I would be more than grateful  :top:      Wishing you a great day and hope to hear from you.

Just checked website travelling with pets air malta and it quoted £70 for cargo? It tells you circumference of travel box etc.. also you get to airport 2 hours before flight. Again if no luck with Heathrow is a taxi and option? We had pet friendly taxi from Southampton.

Thanks for your quick response.

Are you referring to an actual Air Malta website?  If so can you send me the actual e-mail address or a link, so I can nail them down.

Thanks so much

Just typed in 'travelling with dogs Air Malta' .Air Malta came up with all details. Ps it did state that small pets can travel under seat from uk to malta not malta to UK.  Cargo prices quoted though. Under 10 kgs  £70.

Thanks, you have been so helpful, really appreciate it.  Have a nice evening.

My final post. I found Stef Billikova in Air Malta Cargo UK to be an absolute gem. The truth is that you can fly cargo on any day from Heathrow but Air Malta encourages you to travel on Sunday, Monday or Tuesday because there is less cargo on these days.

Next, the flight should be a day flight due to the need to be checked by a vet at the Malta end.

Stef helped me with all forms and ensured they were lodged with the cargo people. You have to do the pet passport (including a health certificate to fly) and inform Malta you are coming so the vet can check you. Be aware that airlines will not fly some dogs (those with squatched noses such as Cavelier King Spaniels full stop) as these might have problems breathing in the hold.

On the day, you have to check dog in 4 hours before the flight. Be aware that you must have a suitable dog carrier of an adequate size (guidelines are given). I was pleasantly surprised that this went very smoothly.

On arrival, you need to go to Air Malta cargo at the old passenger terminal. My disembarking was delayed due a storm and incorrect steps sent. By the time I arrived, the vet had seen Dusty and she was good to go. Be aware that you have to pay about €42 on arrival - cash or cheque no cards. The only minor problem was that Dusty had wrapped her bedding around her foot which was swollen. By the next day she was fine with Jo problem.

Stef deserves a total  thanks and promotion. I am sure that I am not the only person suffering from rampant paranoia. I wish that I 'd known the truth before started all of this but the most painful part is that my fog cost 4 x as much in cargo as me!

The issue is that we can't reside permanently in Malta after Brexit as there are restrictions on third party nationals. - SVALE

When has this been decided?

There are agreements between Malta and the UK that predate the EU - why won't they still be in place? A lot more Maltese people live in the UK than Brits live in Malta.

llp wrote:

The issue is that we can't reside permanently in Malta after Brexit as there are restrictions on third party nationals. - SVALE

When has this been decided?

There are agreements between Malta and the UK that predate the EU - why won't they still be in place? A lot more Maltese people live in the UK than Brits live in Malta.

What has this to do with flying dogs to Malta?    Off topic.

?????

That's the reason SVALE gave for no longer wishing to travel between the UK & Malta, hence the cause of her having to fly her dog here