Taking a dog on Air malta plane?????

Hi there im going over to malta in 2 months to adopt a dog but im really confused about air maltas policy that you cant have a dog in the cabin to and from the uk? How much would it cost for the dog to fly with me if it isn't in the cabin?? please help thank you x

€70,- in a transportcontainer (max. 55x40x20cm) and up to 10 kgs including the container

€70 is if in the cabin, which isn't allowed from UK. In the hold it depends on size, but approx £300

Are you adopting the dog from a sanctuary?  If so they will be able to advise you

georgeingozo wrote:

In the hold it depends on size, but approx £300

:mad: Really ?
A friend brought her RR with more about 40kg in a transport box in the cargo hold with Lufthansa from Munich also for 70,- only (for a small dog in the cabin it's 50,-).

GBP 300,- :rolleyes: for only *one* flight makes no sence, with this money you can help a lot of other dogs in a much better way ...

matm911 wrote:
georgeingozo wrote:

In the hold it depends on size, but approx £300

:mad: Really ?
A friend brought her RR with more about 40kg in a transport box in the cargo hold with Lufthansa from Munich also for 70,- only (for a small dog in the cabin it's 50,-).

GBP 300,- :rolleyes: for only *one* flight makes no sence, with this money you can help a lot of other dogs in a much better way ...

Hi, how recent was this? I was just quoted more than  600 EUR  one way to get our beagle from Prague with Lufthansa via Frankfurt.  Ok, it was supposed to be unaccompanied animal travel, so if it is only 70 EUR with a paying person then probably would be cheaper to pay a friend to accompany our dog on the flight.

The info from Airmalta we received via the Frankfurt branch. Airmalta provides transport only for small pets in the cabin (except from/to GB)

Our friend brought the RR beginning of July 2012 from MUC to MLA.
Since the travel with our dog from home to Munich was easier than to Vienna, we came with Lufthansa mid of July 2012. For our small dog we paid €50,- as "excess luggage" :) at the check-in, but you need to register the pet when you book your own ticket (there is only a limited number of pets allowed in the cabin).

Clarification.

You will need pet passport, micro-chip, rabies and vaccs, and vet sign off 48 hrs before departure.

You can't take animals in the cabin for flights into the UK.

Flights in Europe yes and it costs €70, if accompanied by a person.

You can choose to send an animal cargo or as excess luggage.

We got stung by Air Malta when they gave us bad information, (the staff at Luqa didin't know their arse from their elbow, we got told twenty different things by 10 different people) we ended up paying for our cat to be flown cargo and it cost €370.

You can only fly an animal into Heathrow in the UK, also then you have to pay an extra customs duty when they arrive.

Airport in Malta treated her like she was a rotten cabbage kicking box etc facilities and staff at Heathrow fantastic.

Good luck,

Mamba

Thank you.

Yes, our dog is micro chipped and has a passport for long time.

Probably the cheapest way is to find a friend who is willing to bring him a excess luggage and stick to lufthansa.

cheers

Evi

Hi there,
I am in the initial stages of organising my dog to come here from the UK. Basically, the dog has to fly cargo from London. Air Malta use passportforpets.com who seem very friendly. An agent has to organise your dog - you are not allowed to book them on an Air Malta flight yourself. Yes, Lufthansa fly pets but not direct to Malta. You can take them as excess baggage but the flight is even more expensive, as in 700 pounds. I have been quoted just over 500 pounds and apparently I have to organise the import license and notify the authorities here to meet my dog off the flight and check the paperwork. I am happy to have any suggestions or advice on a cheaper way to get him here. Thanks.

Hi,

You should be able to get a better quote from an agent, we used Robin Silver at airpaws.com  Tel. 01903 786405 if not he can advise you.

He's very good and a lovely bloke, helped us no end,

Good luck.

Yesterday I've heard, that Lufthansa (from DE to MT) now charges €100,- for medium sized dogs and €200,- for big dogs in the animal cargo.
AirBerlin still takes them from DE to MT in the cargo for 75,- (but they do not offer flights to Malta during winter)

Does anyone know how much Emirates charges? We are flying from Muscat,Oman to Malta later this year and I'm just curious.. It was 450€ (200€ was the flight and 250€ waiting time between flights) from Finland to Muscat with KLM so I bet it can't be more than this..

Hi, I want to bring my dog over to Malta in May.  As I come from the southwest in the UK, ideally I'd like to put him on an Air Malta flight from Exeter Airport - is this possible does anyone know, or do all animals have to go from London Heathrow? 
Also, he's around 25kg.  Ideally i'd like to just pay for a seat on the plane for him (he's very well behaved!) but i'm assuming that this is not allowed??  If he has to go in the hold, do airlines provide the crate/cage to transport him or would I have to buy one?  Seems a waste seeing as i'll only be using it for the single flight.
Any info would be gladly received :-)

See here: http://www.airmalta.com/information/cus … -with-pets

BethanyW wrote:

Hi, I want to bring my dog over to Malta in May.  As I come from the southwest in the UK, ideally I'd like to put him on an Air Malta flight from Exeter Airport - is this possible does anyone know, or do all animals have to go from London Heathrow? 
Also, he's around 25kg.  Ideally i'd like to just pay for a seat on the plane for him (he's very well behaved!) but i'm assuming that this is not allowed??  If he has to go in the hold, do airlines provide the crate/cage to transport him or would I have to buy one?  Seems a waste seeing as i'll only be using it for the single flight.

Flights from or to the UK, all dogs must go in the hold. You will need to either buy a crate (which can be easily resold in Malta), or borrow one if you use an agent to arrange everything

BethanyW wrote:

You will definitely need a crate,the measurements are what define cost of transport,not the weight of the dog.The crate we have for our dog is 36inches long,28h,and 24w.We were quoted £550 by AirMalta(Wexco Cargo).You have the choice of flying from Heathrow,Gatwick,or Manchester,but whichever one you choose,your pet MUST fly on a Monday,of any given week.
  Thomsons charge by weight, £12 per kilo,i believe.They only transport animals on a Tuesday.

Thanks everyone, you've been really helpful!

has anyone taken a dog to malta via air malta and what was the cost including hire container

Hi
I just brought my dog over last week on an Air Malta plane.  Went with company called [email protected] and it cost around £700.  They provided the crate (you have to give measurements etc beforehand).  You have to get all the passport arranged and then just drop the dog to them before the flight.  At the other end the crate is yours to keep, if you want it.  I gave mine to the vet who meets you at the Malta end and he was donating it to the cats and dogs home over here.
Word of advice though - my dog was very hot by the time I collected him so i would avoid doing it in the middle of the summer.

I may be off topick, sorry... but my transportation mode will be car. My dog (jack Russel, almost 10 years old, passport, chip and I plan to make him the rabies vaccine) is 10kg, and can stay in the car as long as I am close to him.

Any difficlties in bringing it on the island ? apart from finding a house where we both can stay ?

Thank you. And please, redirect me if I posted in the wrong place

We came to Malta from HK in January with our two small dogs (MinPin and Chi) and flew with Emirates (had to overnight in Dubai due to length of flight and dogs had to go cargo).

We used Thomas Smith to arrange the paper work in Malta, import lic, collection of dogs off of flight and clear customs and deliver to our hotel. I think they charged about 300 EUR for the service but meant we could get off the plan and get settled before they were dropped off, about 3 hours after we landed. For ease I'd recommend them, not sure how they compare on price.

We did the HK export paperwork and booking onto Emirates ourselves without any hassle.

Once here you then take them to the vet who scans the chip and arranges the dog license with the government. For neutered dog the fee was less the 6 eur each + 15 eur for the vet consultation.

Emirates and their cargo handlers in HK were great. Was nice to see them being loaded onto the plane as we left Dubai even though we didn't get to spend time with them during the layover.

Thank you, now I know I have to visit a vet.
Have a good time in Malta and maybe see you in Septembre

Isabelle France Malte wrote:

Thank you, now I know I have to visit a vet.
Have a good time in Malta and maybe see you in Septembre

If you are bringing your pet in by ferry you have to pre notify the government vet who will meet you at the ferry terminal in Valletta and check the dog and its documents.

This is a link to the forms required, they will be sent back to you via email with " approval" stamped on them.

http://vafd.gov.mt/file.aspx?f=1645

Terry

Thank you so much, Terry !
I'll do that !

tearnet wrote:

If you are bringing your pet in by ferry you have to pre notify the government vet who will meet you at the ferry terminal in Valletta and check the dog and its documents.

This is a link to the forms required, they will be sent back to you via email with " approval" stamped on them.

http://vafd.gov.mt/file.aspx?f=1645

Terry

Thanks Terry - very useful info for us!