Calling out to business owner or individual [...Kilroy Was Here]

I lived in VN for several years and my wife is currently visiting Hanoi with our 9 year-old son.

Recently he became interested in WWII and military history, and was especially interested in the "Kilroy Was Here" story, writing it all over. Kilroy Was Here was a drawing, mostly popular in WWII, that a soldier would write on a wall - or anywhere - meant for another soldier to see. There was nothing political about it.  It basically said, "Look, I was here and understand what it took for you to get here too. Have a smile, then let's get moving to the next place." While usually associated with Americans, the British and Australians had their own versions. The idea may have originated with one of those last two countries.

When my son was leaving for Hanoi I printed up some small Kilroy stickers and gave him some pieces of chalk as a "Kilroy Kit" and told him to spread the message. However, in VN it would be tricky to just randomly put up stickers or write in chalk on a building.

I hope that there is a business owner or individual who would agree to have my son and wife come and deliver a sticker/piece of paper (the size of a big mailing label) that you can put up on a wall or window.  Or just have him draw in chalk at the bottom of your Lunch Specials chalkboard. I think this would be especially great for a place that served veterans or current military by honoring their bonds. And it would make my son feel as though he is taking his own part.

They are leaving early morning July 18 (Hanoi time), but my wife will leave some stickers for friends who would be happy to drop them off to you after this.

*** place and I will put you in contact with my wife.

Thank you.

Moderated by Anas 5 years ago
Reason : For your own security,do not share your contact details on the forum.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Aren't you are mixing up war theaters? Pretty sure the Kilroy thing was limited to Europe in WW2. Save the stickers for your trip to France. Even there an anachronism, I doubt you'll find anyone alive who remembers. I know only because of 1940s war movies!

For Vietnam, introduce your son to Zippo lighters. You can get real and fake in antique stores. Not in Hanoi tho. GIs didn't make it that far north, right?

Have him go to Note Cafe in Hanoi, the coffee isn't great but you can put up pretty much whatever you want on the walls. There's one in hcmc also.