Pros and Cons - North versus West

Good day everyone

My husband and I are most likely going to be moving to Mauritius in September this year. My husband will be working in Port Louis and I will not be working.  I have been looking at properties online in the Grand Baie, Tamarin and Black River areas. I would like to get some insight into the expat community's opinions about what the pros and cons of living in the North or West are? We are more the outdoor-living kind of people. We like to go running, hiking and intend on getting into kayaking when we have settled in. We still do enjoy the occasional meal out or movie night. We don't have children but do have two dogs who will be coming over with us.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

:) Tess

west, trust me.

If you are the outdoor type of people and looking forward to outdoor sports and activities, then the West is the place to be.

Moderated by Bhavna 5 years ago
Reason : Irrelevant
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Where in the West?

I'm a fan of the North, it has better beaches, more amenities, and Port Louis is more accessible from the North than the West, you need to take the old road from the West to get to Port Louis and it's a nightmare at rush hour.

Getting to Port Louis from ANY direction is a nightmare.

Personally I'd go for Black River/Tamarin, there are wonderful outdoor activities in that region, anything from mountain trekking to kite surfing, to hiking, great cycling routes, plus easy access to numerous shopping malls at Tamarin, Cascavelle, Phoenix and Bagatelle. That region is packed with things to do and great shopping facilities. Not to mention you are considerably closer to the airport than the North.

Hi...welcome to mauritius.. i used to organize hiking activities can join.. thank you

I used to like the North more but I changed my opinion on that. There are a lot more activities in the Center and West now (Bagatelle, Ebene, Cascavelle).
If you're into hiking the south of the island is a better place for that.

If it comes to traveltimes or distances, well even here there are trafic jams. From Grand Baie to Caudan it takes 30 min, from Flic-en-Flac to Caudan it takes 40min. Add 50% of time during peaktimes.

Cost of living is both in the North and West a little more expensive than let's say the center (Quatre Bornes - Vacoas - Curepipe). Obviously the tourists hang around the coastlines :-)

You might have a look in Flic-en-Flac too. A lot of new developments and improvements are coming up.

Go west , shirk the rest ... But seriously, Black river district, hiking, Watersports, still developing nicely lots of expats both West & North.

Definitely say the North. More things to do and you don't feel so isolated

Hi. Moved here 2 weeks ago... so did you go North or west. I was searching North vs West and came across your post. I am thinking of buying but need to be close to a good medical centre and shops. That is my requirements.  Currently staying in Grand Bay.
Hello pineki2011,

Welcome to expat.com and to paradise island!

Kindly note that this discussion is quite old and the members may not respond to you.

As someone who has lived on the island for her whole life, I will say that the north will cater more to your needs as there are more medical centres and shops.

Nevertheless, I invite you to create a new discussion on the Mauritius forum where you will be able to gather more opinions and advices from other members.

Cheers,

Yoginee
Expat.com team