Looking for international schools

Hi, We are Indians moving into KL by end of July, looking for schooling for our kids, aged 12 and 6. I went through a post which read there would be racist bullying in schools. So, please recommend good international IGCSE schools for my kids in or around KL, that strictly discourages bullying and that strongly believes in inculcating good behaviour, habits and values. Not IB, as I was hinted that the fee would be very high.
Also, please recommend areas for housing with more Indian communities. Your response would be great help! Thanks!

IB at Fairview the fees are reasonable. The school is a bit of a dark horse but friends are very happy with its offering and performance.

A lot depends on your budget. This website gives tuition fee levels (but there are quite a few extras including enrolment and deposit fees https://schooladvisor.my/

The bullying may not have been at the main stream international schools which have higher standards and experienced international staff.

Thanks Gravitas!
I did go through the link you had sent. Confused between so many schools listed and mixed reviews on many. Could not understand which really have the international mix. Is there a way to know about their staff and mix of students before I shortlist and visit the schools?
We would be shifting by end of July / Aug 1st week. So, don't think we have much time to visit all schools before the Sep to decide.
Would you recommend any schools in particular with a good international students and staff strength?
Many thanks!

Most students at the international schools are local kids. British International School has a very good reputation. Basically the higher the fees the more international professional teaching staff i.e. from UK, US, Aus, NZ, etc. english mothertongue teachers. Most of the school websites have a list of staff.

Thanks gravitas!
Will check the websites.
However, sad state of affairs that if one needs a good education for the child, one needs to pay more than 70k towards tution fee alone.

Desa Park City International School has a good reputation as well. Plus Garden and MKIS in Mont Kiara. To some extent think about where you need to live to access workplace and live locally to the school so that the kids can interact after school and at weekends.

KiwinKL - member might be able to give some inside information. Check the forum index as schools are being discussed simultaneous to your thread

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=699799

My husband will have to travel to Petronas, while myself to Accenture. My work may need me go down to cyberjaya mostly. So puchong may be for stay, advise if I am wrong.
Guess kids would go to schools at Selangor or cyber Jaya location.
Please advise if you could suggest a better choice

Just read the post. I think my son is not the IB type. Though he is very intelligent, he hates the way curriculum or study method followed in India, a strong influence.
So he wants to take studies lightly for now and focus on professional badminton sport. So, I feel IGCSE would be the best bet for him. As far as my daughter is concerned, she will want to study where her bro does.

I am wondering, if he gets very interested later with studies, would it be possible to pursue the IB program after IGCSE level?

There is an express train from Putrajaya station to Sentral Station but that requires transport from Cyberjaya area (about 15 mins from station then 20 mins on train before changing to LRT to get to KLCC station = 1 hr min). But its not a journey to do by road to get to KLCC (Petronas).

Rents in Cyberjaya are low compared to some other areas but there is not much to do in Cyberjaya as it is primarily a commerce, IT, gov, int. org. area. Look at schools between Cyberjaya and Bukit Jalil. The only major school however is the Australian School (brand new schol Kingsgate in BJ offering some discounts but just opened and unproven).

Personally I would not choose  Puchong as a base. Blu water estate close to The Mines might be an option or Bukit Gita Bayu area (Seri Kembangan).

That's quite a shuttle. Would it make it easier by motorcycle on road instead of public transport?

May be residence at putrajaya would make more sense then. Do schools provide transportation facility?

Hi.
Area to consider: Mont Kiara.
School: Hibiscus International School.

Most schools have busing arrangements. Always possible by motorbike but pretty dangerous.

Easier to bike-it from Mont Kiara. But it has no public transport. But several schools including the one suggested above which used to be called Time Int. School.

Putrajaya is mainly for Malay civil servants. It does have a shopping centre, but I find it oriented towards Islamic products.

Bukit Kiara is actually the home of the BAM sports academy  but its probably for locals and I've mainly seen Chinese Malaysians in the sport.
https://www.thestar.com.my/sport/badmin … lly-opens/

Getting from Mont Kiara to Accenture at Mid Valley would require a car

However, Mid Valley is on the Kommuter line which goes down to Blu Water area, mentioned earlier and the Australian School. There is also Alice Smith School Senior school in that area (Seri Kembagan)

Thanks! Will look at its website.

Thanks a lot Gravitas! So much information and help.

I will go through all of it and hope I can come back to you if I have any more questions.

As a rule of thumb, schools which have a lot of local Chinese students will be very very competitive and academic. But learning Mandarin is probably a great option while living in Malaysia

To put things in perspective - the density of foreigners in KL area is 0.6% and local Indian Malaysians is about 8-9%.

Just some more reading https://www.imoney.my/articles/10-most- … ang-valley as it lists facilities at the schools

Corrigendum

Gravitas wrote:

To put things in perspective - the density of foreigners* in KL area is 0.6% and local Indian Malaysians is about 8-9%.

*Foreign expatriates

Thanks Gravitas!
That was quite some information. Now I know what to expect from the schools there to an extent.

Any opinion on Dwi Emas International School?
I am personally impressed by the articles I read about the school. Curious to know your opinion.

Hi there,

I work as an independent school consultant here in KL and would be happy to help with some free advice. There are so many schools here now, I know it is really difficult wading through all of the information and all of the various schools' websites!

So, feel free to PM me - if you can give me an idea of your budget and perhaps preferred locations, I would be happy to put together a suggest shortlist of schools and/or answer any questions you might have.

:)