ELC international school

Hi we are possibly relocating in approx. 4 months from NZ to KL, I have 2 daughters aged 6 years and 10 years. Could you please give me feedback on ELC international school, it seems to be the cheapest of all the international schools, and I was recommended Damansara as a good area for expats to live, but what part of Damansara is good? Or if you can recommend any other good expat areas to live that would be central to ELC and Desa Business Park which is where my husbands office will be located.

No idea about ELC i'm afraid, but our daughter goes to AISM and we are all very happy with it! It is out in Serdang, but they do have a school bus, and going out from KL to Serdang is against the traffic, so it doesn't take long.

thanks j0amelie but unfortunately AIS is a little out of our price range.
We are currently looking for condos in Kiara Park and will be available to look for condos on the 4th of June if anyone has one for rent please contact me.

Hi there, my 2 boys go to elc and have an excellent time there. There is a waiting list so do get in touch soon for placements. They have two campuses around KL area one in Sungai Buloh and one in Cyberjaya. Not sure where Desa Business Park is but opposite the sungai buloh campus and around the school there are many gated community homes with expats living there too and the NKVE highway nearby makes travelling around very convenient. Otherwise another expat area closeby is Tropicana area which is near Kota Damansara. Hope this helps.

Another school you might consider is DNAnexus...i've heard lots of good things about that school from people who's kids attend, and I think it isn't so expensive.

sorry DNAnexus is something entirely different...it's just nexus school and is in Putrajaya.
nexus.edu.my/index.php?option=com_content&view=frontpage&Itemid=1

In terms of accommodation, there are available flats with affordable rents in cheras. Transport fare is usually 2 MR by bus. Safe journey as you join us in KL

There is a new International School in Putra Heights, currently housed in shoplots. You may be interested.
kingsley.my/index.php

Thomas

So many schools suggested now by fellow concerned expatriates, it is now left for you to make a choice among many options. That's the beauty of being a member here.

I know about Fairview International School.Their International Baccalauretae Programme is so badly managed its scary

Desa Park city is a really nice place to live (especially with kids!) and there is a new international school opening there. Sorry don't know the prices or even the website, but you husband's office might be able to help out there!

Hi,Kingsley internasional school its a very new school. i heard its really good in terms of education and the fees are ok compare to other internasional school.They have some promotion for now..

Address

The International School @ ParkCity,
No.1 Jalan Intisari,
Desa ParkCity, 52200
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
GPS Coordinates: N 03° 11.256' E  101° 38.261'

Phone & Email

Telephone : +603 6280 8880
Fax : +603 6280 8749
Email : [email protected]

Message is for Kiwi4

[Moderated: No free ad on the forum]

Hi all thanks for all your replies, we are relocating early September and we visited KL last month to look at 4 different schools

Our favourite so far is ELC, both campuses were great but there is one more school we'd like to look at as we ran out of time, Tenby School in Setia Eco Park. Does anyone have any info on this school?

I strongly advise you to give elc International school a miss, the teaching style is oppressive, the children are nasty to each other, and the staff are abusive. Don't be fooled by the nice buildings.

Fran I'm interested to hear why you think this, did your children attend this school or is this info from a friend?

Thanks esajh for your feedback but I have to disagree, apart from schooling I think everything else is really cheap, we are moving to KL for the experience so that my girls can view a different sort of lifestyle to the one they currently have. Life is too short and it's great to have the opportunity to be able to have different life experiences.

kiwi4 wrote:

Thanks esajh for your feedback but I have to disagree, apart from schooling I think everything else is really cheap, we are moving to KL for the experience so that my girls can view a different sort of lifestyle to the one they currently have. Life is too short and it's great to have the opportunity to be able to have different life experiences.

Hi Kiwi4

I am very certain there are pros & cons of moving to a new country to live. I would love to share this with you and anyone who intend to move to Malaysia.

My ex-boss and his family came to Malaysia (they initially worked in Sarawak and later moved to Penang). After several years here with a daughter and son who tagged along, they are all back in Canada now.

Both children had been schooled in Malaysia since teens and now they are in their college/university. The children have only good comments about their growing up in a foreign country. Their experiences are very exotic and which their friends back home will never have the opportunity to go through it, of course and their friends really envy them. Their parents enjoyed their stay here and are still keeping-in-touch with great friends made.

Look at the positive side of life and I know you will........

Welcome to Malaysia very soon!

Cheers,
Chris

Esajh wrote:

I can't argue with you about that Kiwi4; however, saying “apart from schooling I think everything else is really cheap…” is tantamount to Warren Buffet saying, “apart from my multibillion dollar bank account I think everything else in my life is really cheap.”   

Sure Warren drives his own station wagon, buys off the shelf suits (well use to) lives in a modest house in Omaha that does not even have a fence – yet he is still the third or fourth richest man in the world. 

As for life experience, you will not find anyone that agrees with you more.  My children (11, 13, and 16) have lived on many continents.  Our goal is to not only educate them in the teachings of Hypatia of Alexandria or Kepler of Germany but of “All that is, and ever was, and ever will be.”

My oldest lived with us in Central America for 3 years, after which we moved to Russia/Ukraine where all the boys lived for 4 years.  Currently we live in the Middle East for 6+ years and KL was our planned next exposure for them.

We are an “outside” family that not only scuba dives (all PADI certified) but also snow skies, races jet skis and fly airplanes (my oldest just received his PPL license as does my wife, CPL and I, ATP).  They are fluent in English, Russian and Arabic while conversational in German (and my oldest understands Spanish if spoken slowly.) 

Of course we did the Tommy Tourist things to Paris and London as well as Sidney and Washington DC.  But more importantly we spent 3 weeks following the wild dogs of the Kalahari, 10 days in Kathmandu learning from monks, 15 days with the isolated pearl farmers of Raiatea, a week with the opal miners outside Alice Springs and numerous treks from the temple of Tikal to the temple of Amun Ra Karnak - where we watch the sunrise on the winter solstice at 9:47 AM (local time) on Monday, December 21, 2009.

You will find no argument from me that life is short and experience is extremely important.  From our history you can see that my children are devoid of learning from one important region of the planet – Asia.  And for that reason alone I wanted to accept the position in KL.  Asia is a hole in their planetary understanding that I do not wish to implode into a singularity.

Alas, as in all our endeavors we come to the requirements of reality and education in KL is as strong a slap in the face as a family could receive.  I do not mean to be argumentative; I am merely disappointed for I wanted to fulfill that regional void by several years in KL.

Esajh

Hi Esajh

Wow, very impressive life style for you and your family. They are lucky!!! Hope you will have the opportunity to experience Asia soon.  :top:

@kiwi4, yes my kids went to elc, horrible experience, they've left now and one is still seeing a psychologist due to being messed up by one of the teachers. I strongly recommend you don't send your kids there. Visit the school and look at how they talk about the kids, how they treat the kids, look at all the lining up, with the teachers arrayed in a line as well at home time, do you want your kids freedom of thought and expression crushed at Cruncheon Hall? To say nothing of the teacher absenteeism. And the nastiest behaved kids in Malaysia, who must learn that sort of behaviour from a core group of teachers and owners. At OLevels they'll stop your kids doing the subjects they want, to protect their 'statistics'. Stay away.

Wishing you the best

Hi,
I spotted that you wanted to visit TENBY International School and consider them as an option for your children. I have just pulled my children out of TENBY together with 200 other children who had left at the end of the academic year. The core senior management have no clue on how to run a school, the teachers are not qualified and the whole schooling experience leaves much to be desired. Pls pls pls don't send your children there...

Dear Kiwi4,
After Fran88's and Samantha72's comment, you must be confused on which school or have you already decided? Due to my family and I relocating, both my kids have left elc International School. Both my sons are sad to leave. They keep talking how they will come back and join the school and their friends. Elc has left a great impression on them, and they have grown close to the teachers and staff. I find the teachers and staff, warm, friendly and approachable. My eldest was there for 4 years and my youngest only a year. My eldest was slow to catch up on his english and maths last year so they did one on one tutoring with him whilst in school during homeroom time. He has progressed remarkably.
My youngest was very shy when he first started school ( and that was him at home too ) but he is very confident now and was happy to perform in front of students, teachers and parents.
Children at the school are very nice. Kids of all ages were always saying hi to my boys.
We are due to leave soon and my boys will be going to an all french school starting in september. I am hoping the confidence they have gained at elc will help them in their new experience.

Hi Sugan, do you mind to share more about Kingsley Int'l scholl ? I am currently looking for school for my 2 kids. Thanks

Hello Kiwi4.

I'm also a parent looking for an international school in KL:)

I found a blog about ELC international school. The articles on the blog were written in 2009.

http://elcparents.wordpress.com/

Hi Dice,

Did you find any further information on intl schools - affordable ones - in KL?  Also wanted to check on a few other doubts -

1) Are Petaling Jaya and KL very far off?  Which is a better   option to stay in? 

2) Is Petaling Jaya known by any other name? 

Thanks in advance..

Rgds,
Indie

So we still really like ELC but have one more school to look at Tenby at Setio Eco Park in Shah Alam
Petaling Jaya also called PJ and is in KL (kuala lumpur)
Indie ELC and Tenby fees are approx RM50000 total for both my girls for one year, so RM25 per child per year, 1/3 of price of the likes of Gardens, Mont Kiara etc

Sorry it should say RM25000 - RM30000 per child per year dependent on age of child

Thank you, Kiwi... Will check out these two schools.   ISKL is very very expensive!

The International School @ ParkCity,
  is good

Hallo Kiwi4,

I sent you an e-mail some time ago concerning the house that I have for rent in Valencia right near ELC. Let me know if you are interested. It is now available.

Best Regards

thanks Mike but we have moved into a condo in Mont Kiara area =)

Samantha72 wrote:

Hi,
I spotted that you wanted to visit TENBY International School and consider them as an option for your children. I have just pulled my children out of TENBY together with 200 other children who had left at the end of the academic year. The core senior management have no clue on how to run a school, the teachers are not qualified and the whole schooling experience leaves much to be desired. Pls pls pls don't send your children there...

Very dramatic statement, samantha72, could you please give us more information because, as I have been looking for schools for my children, I find that the school is a mixture of expatriate and local staff, and the expatriate staff certainly are degree holders with internationally recognised teaching certificates. You mention that the core senior management 'have no clue' as to how a school is run; can you elaborate on that? Do you have information on the public examination results and definite information as to your claim that 200 students left at the end of the academic year? As a potential parent I am interested in reliable information rather than sweeping statements.

Hi Eric

My girls will be starting at Tenby in January, the only reason they are not attending ELC is due to lack of space, I have friends whose children attend ELC and also friends who have children who attend Tenby. Both families are extremely happy with their chosen schools. The negative feedback I have received has not put me off as I trust my own gut instinct when it comes to making these decisions, I advise you to visit these schools and decide for yourself as I would have been extremely happy for my girls to attend either of these schools .

Hi Kiwi4  Do you mind sharing the experience thus far in Tenby now that you're there?

My gal is starting in ELC this September too,

My girls have been at Tenby since January this year and I'm happy to say both girls are extremely happy and well settled into school life, there is a big expansion going on at the moment which should see new sports facilities up and running in September. With the negative feedback that was posted above I have to say I haven't come across anything that would make me withdraw my children from the school, I am impressed with the level of academic and sports that they are providing my children. Hope everyone finds a school that meets their needs.

sugan wrote:

My gal is starting in ELC this September too,

Sugan..are you taking your gal out of Kingsley? Tell us more about Kingsley. thanks

Hi Chippies,

Would like to know your experience in ELC? Which campus are your kids going to, btw? I'm considering Cyberjaya.

Chippies wrote:

Update from me...

My two girls are starting at ELC school in September. I've been to look round it twice now and am impressed with what I've seen. I'll keep you posted when they start there.