Fairview International School and Sayfol

Hi all,

I have browed almost all questions but I cannot find the topic of Fairview Int School
Any one knows about this school ,pls axvise ne

Due to my budget is slow,we can only afford chepear schools such as: Tenby,Fairview or The Interntinal School of KL.

But priblem now is I don't know which areas shoulf I be staying if my son will go to 01 of 3 schools.

Pls help me to advise if Fairwiew is OK and where should I stay if my kid will go to 1 od 3 schools

I hears of Mont Kiara area.butI hearsld the.publci htranspieation is not well developed.Thank you su much

thats bcos fairview and sayfol sucks. iskl is a good school but it is one of the most expensive schools in kl. btw there is an area in ampang where koreans stay. u can check out one ampang avenue condos. visit iproperty.com.my for more details.

Hi!

Thank you for your reply!

How about The International School of Kuala Lumpur?Do you know anything about this school?

Hi i was a student in Sayfol for nine years and it was a horrible school . Teachers don't take you seriously and there are no activities to do . When it comes to studies the students have to help themselves and most of the time get private tuition . I have friends from Fairview and academic wise its known to be quite bad . ISKL is good but very expensive but you should try the school next to ISKL called Mutiara International School my brother switched from Sayfol to mutiara and he finds the academics and studies there pretty good and they provide activities .

hi sophia, its really good to get a students perspective sometimes :-) what do u mean by the academics and studies were good?

Thanks for your great input and advices!
You have not mentioned any opinion on Mutiara school, is that because it is no good or not checked out? We are considering to put our children in Mutiara, as it is homy, small and friendly Aust. Principle and teachers. Would you have heard the contrary pls.?

On the other side, where would you suggest to live in condo (with facility) near by? Hillier, one avenue, Flamingo, KLCC?! Many thanks and in advance....

I am very interested in knowing more about Mutiara, as we also included with the same in amapng area. Would you pls. Share with us yr brother experience with school.
Moreover, if he could advice on traffic jam and best area to live near school and with facility?! Many thanks..

Please share your experience about mutiara. I read all negative comments on net, but I need personal experience to decide becuz I just can afford mutiara, fairview and sayfol. I don't think there are any other school below 30000 RM fee. If there is any, please share.

Unfortunately, International schools around the KL area seem to be focused on making money more than eduction. As an English teacher I have looked at students papers from different schools where the teacher was unable to correct a year 3 writing assignment, and then had the nerve to say that the student was lacking.

My recommendations:

1. My ex went to Mont Kiara International School and they seem to have a solid reputation. I used to eat at a Wendy's down the street from the schol and many of the kids from their would come in and there were lots of international friendships and the English proficiency was fantastic. It's also the most expensive school in KL.

2. Fairview - I met an expat from Brazil, an international pilot, and his son went here. They seem to be the only school with an IBT program, and I would send my child just for that. The child also got a scholarship, he was doing very poor, but the school helped him get on track and he worked so hard the school gave him a scholarship. That's just amazing. It's also affordable.

I wouldn't send my child to Alice Smith, Sri KL, or Sayfol. I've seen and had many complaints from parents from these schools. If you have any other questions please let me know.

International Indian school seems to have lower fees - its in Brickfields and has a couple of different curricula:

http://www.globalschoolmalaysia.org/Adm … cture.aspx

Does anyone have first hand experience with the edu. levels at this school?

Here's Mutiara's website.  Seems to be a secondary school?

http://www.migs.edu.my/

It's British national curriculum

Hi ,

Is there an change in opinions about Fairview more recently ? Or is the situation still the same?

I think you will find good and bad about many schools in the more affordable category. The people I know are very happy with Fairview these days.

Thank you Gravitas, I am realising that after sifting through many online opinions. I am in the process of looking at admissions for my 5 yr old and am looking for something a little more well rounded than rote learning.....is IB a good base for later if we have to shift back home? Home is India btw...my budget is not in the British international school range, so I'm thinking of Fairview, cempaka Damansara, Eaton, ELC....any of them known only for snob value?

I guess you must have discarded Global Indian International School in Brickfields. ELC Sungai Buloh might be difficult to get a place - do check that to avoid disappointment. I agree wholeheartedly about rote learning, but you only seem to avoid that in schools with a lot of expat teachers = expensive. However, Taylor's KL or Help might be options.

I was interested in the IB curriculum mainly for the ease of moving back home as there are a few IB schools back home too. I am looking for international schools within my budget. My budget is around 35k-40k but this is the upper limit.
We have not yet finalized an accommodation so will do so depending on the school we finalize. I have done some background research on reviews about schools on internet and am throughly confused.
Issues such as cost, capability of teachers, curriculum offered (and its usefulness to the student) and distance to  commute are understandable but others such as racist bullying in schools, competitiveness (too much and too less), no value for money and the constant influx of new schools and shift from existing schools to new schools are things I  dont understand.
How to make a decision in such a scenario? Am I over-thinking this? Should I just visit these places and go with the ne which gives me the best vibes and is within my budget?

My shortlist includes:
1) Fairview (Wangsa Maju and Subang jaya campus)-primarily for its IB teaching

2) Cempaka Damansara- primarily because of good IGCSE results but I think i is too results-oriented - am I wrong? Also too much emphasis on performing arts- I really dont care if my kid doesnt play 3 instruments....
3) Eaton Intl- am attracted by its mainly Western staff but is it a facade?
4) ELC INtl- again am attracted by the Western staff but is it value for money? I dont want the kid to pick up a snob culture

4) Beaconhouse Sri Inai & Newlands intl-seems to be well run but which campus is better ?
5)  Global Indian Intl & Vikas Intl- only ones with CBSE syllabus which is what we are familiar with as parents- but would not like child to be exposed to lower standards with respect to his peers, as even if we go back home he will probably be enrolled in relatively upper middle class schools.

6) All others I seem to be reading absolutey conflicting opinions online- so unable to decide
REAL

UCSI Subang Jaya
Tenby Intl School

HELP intl school

Oasis Intl- is new and untested

GEMS Intl

Hibsicus/TIME Intl

Sri Utama Intl

NobelIntl

Sri Emas

Dwi Emas

Rafflesia Intl- no fee structure mentioned online

The photos on ELC website are from year 2000 but I don't know much about their new campus in Cyberjaya. The last thing I would have said about ELC  (Sungai Buloh) was it is "snobbish".

Personally I think you should be tackling this from the reverse perspetive, i.e. finding a convenient place to live related to your work. A school in Cyberjaya will potentially mean a difficult commute

OK that is good to know.....so hubby place of work is Petaling Jaya, which is quite central I think.....what areas would be ideal to stay in ?

I get the impression you don't think too highly of Malaysian Indians with your comments.  They are the backbone of the legal profession in Malaysia. It's those people who are sending their kids to international schools.

The only real reason there are jobs for IT people from India, is because those firms here are often headed by Malaysian Indians.....

Air Asia is owned by a Malaysian Indian....

I have no such pre-conceptions Gravitas- I am looking for a multi-racial, secular, safe school environment for my child. Please do not read unwritten opinions. If possible I would appreciate your unbiased opinions. I am myself a highly educated 100% Indian ( not in the IT sector) so I am the last person to think low of fellow Indians.

5)  Global Indian Intl & Vikas Intl- only ones with CBSE syllabus which is what we are familiar with as parents- but would not like child to be exposed to lower standards with respect to his peers, as even if we go back home he will probably be enrolled in relatively upper middle class schools.

There are only 0.3% expatriates in KL so most of the students are going to be local children. The Chinese Malaysian community are very visible in many of the international schools.

A visit to schools is the only way to judge the school. Teachers come and go.

Quote: A visit to schools is the only way to judge the school. Teachers come and go.

This is great to know. That means visit the school and go with your gut instinct......Thanks a lot

There's a member here called "KiwinKL" and she has a good insight into some schools (has taught here I think). You can find her posts by going to her profile.