Beaches

anyone know of any beaches I can visit in jeddah? I'd like to swim. also how much would it cost in a taxi to go to them for a few hours. Would an unofficial taxi be better? Someone told me Obhur but that looks like a private beach resort. Ideally somewhere I can swim for an hour and eat and drink

Hi mike99 :)

I hope other members will show up with some useful advices soon ;)

Regards
Armand

Yes mike99

You can enjoy a swim in public swimming area
in Southern Obhur,
But you should choose a time that is not the beach crowded

As for the taxi
may cost you 80-100 SAR
May be other unofficial taxi is cheaper than taxi

note when you to far north beaches are better ( Dahban or Durah )

Nadi

thanks for that Nadi. I'm looking forward to my first swim in the red sea!

When you go there....take me with you. Because I also never saw that....

Hi there,
Any info about how can women enjoy the beach ? what kind of bathing suits are tolerated and what about scuba diving and snorkelling ?

hi

you can go to South Abhur or North Abhor where its a piblic beach. No Swimming suits or bikinis in these places.

Or you can try Ahlam Divers in North Obhur where people go for diving as well as can enjoy the beach.

Are you already in KSA or yet to come?

Regards
Abbas

sorry for typing mistake - should be public beach instead of piblic beach. :)

thanks for your answer. So women bath with there clothes on ?
Not in Jeddah yet, my husband is considering a job opportunity, but we'd like to know as much as possible about life over there before we make up our mind.

In any public space you will be expected to wear an abaya. This rule also applies on public beach.

(I know this will sound absurd to you and probably unimaginable (it was a surprise for us as well) at the public beaches - be it Jeddah (red sea) or Khobar (Arabian Gulf) the women actual swim in their abaya's!

There are private beach resorts where these rules do not apply.

ok, thanks for the info

Loads of priovate beach resorts where none of the normal rules dont apply. and since you are in Jeddah, THere are quite a few!

great!