Retired in Thailand/Cambodia

For several years I have had plans to move to Thailand when I retire at the age of 65. However, due to the fact that my workplace ended and I found it hard to get new work because of age, I took a chance and moved to Thailand already when I turned 60. With really too little capital, but I expected it to work if I lived tight for a year and retired when I turned 61. Certainly lower retirement than if I have been waiting for 65 years, but in Thailand, it is much more to live off than in Sweden. And so it became. I have been a lot in South East Asia earlier and have many friends in several countries here. And it was good when I arrived in Thailand to have friends who set up and helped me arrange a cheap home, and this whole year worked very well. I have previously lived in Cambodia occasionally and now have a long-stay visa to both of these countries but will choose either Cambodia or Thailand in the next few months, there are pros and cons in both countries. You can live significantly cheaper in Thailand but it is both expensive and obligatory with a visa and 90 days notification. Such a thing is eliminated in Cambodia and that the visa is cheaper. I've moved around a little in Thailand this year to find out where I like the best, right now I rent a so-called Townhouse in downtown Buriram, but I do not like this city. It's messy and very few can speak English. So I have terminated the contract and I will decide if I will stay in Thailand during the term of notice in April, and then Bangkok will be the target or if I will move to Cambodia. I have previously lived in Sihanoukville, a nice city but since the Chinese took over the city has changed a lot, the nice little town feeling is gone. So I'm thinking of Siam Reap or possibly Phnom Penh.

But my pension starting April 20 will be low because I worked a lot abroad. But it is possible to live here anyway. I like a simple and calm life, just waking up in paradise every day is far enough. But I need low cost and it's possible to live really cheap here if you accept Thaistyle, which I not only accept but also prefer. The house I rent now is in 2 floors with 3.5 room and kitchen, and I pay 3500 baht / month. As I have said, I have lived in several places in Thailand in the last year and the rent has been between 2000-3500 baht per month. It's rare i spend more than 10,000 baht in total per month. (Insurance and Visa are outside of this.)

I have a Honda Click 125cc that I bought used, and wiht that I travel around Thailand, that's fine and it's a huge sense of freedom. But it will be sold now if I am going to move to Cambodia.

Jag har alltid levt resande och det har blivit en livsstil. Jag har en blog om hur jag lever som har adressen lifestyle . ekareach . com If you are interested in a different way to live.

Greetings Manschett,
     We seem to share the same line of thinking. I, too am thinking of eventual retirement in Siam, with some differences although I will be in my mid 50s. I plan to spend most of my time in the Northern part of Thailand. I will initially settle in Chiang Mai, then eventually stay in Udon Thani or Khon Kaen. I am guessing on staying in a condo at around 5k baht/month. I have found several places advertised online at the price with the amenities that I am looking for.
     As far as Visas go, I don't have enough for a retirement Visa. Initially, I will start with a one year self-defense ED visa w/unlimited entries (I have friend and family in the Philippines). Subsequently, I will settle with 6 month multiple entry visas and visit the Philippines when i need to renew. Once a year I will return to Chicago (USA) to address my medical issues.
     I will be living on a shoestring budget, but like you I am pretty sedentary. Ironically, I enjoy hitting the open road and viewing the country, as well as cooking to relax. I already live a pretty spartan life currently in Chi-Town, so the transition to LOS will not be much more of a stretch.
     As far as motorbikes goes, I am looking at a larger displacement machine ≥300cc (alternately, a 250cc high performance machine like a Kawasaki Z250sl) due to my larger body size (120kg; roughly equivalent to 2 average sized Thais) within a budget under 100K Baht. My first choice is a Honda CB300F, 2nd a SYM joymax 300/400, finally a Honda CBR300R (I'm not getting any younger, but the posture is decent as far as "crotch rockets" go). I am looking for a machine that can perform dual duties as a commuter/touring rig. Ideally, I would love the SYM Joymax 400i, but I can get an equivalent performance out of a CB300 for around 2/3 of the cost (I am not adverse, nor a snob to a scooter).
     Questions for you. What do you do during the Holidays (i.e. - Christmas, New year)? For me, Holidays are not much of an issue as i don't celebrate much, but I do get the occasion itch to step out on special occasions for a belt. Do you also have a Puying (significant other)? I am guessing that a companion can be an expensive investment.