Living in pattaya

hi all,

well this site is really good, its good to exchange info with people already over in thailand , the more info i get the better i will understand the ins and outs of living there..im renting condo in wong amart 9000bht per month..carnt complain really big apartment, kitchen tv swimming pool sauna gym and place to grab brekkie or a bite to eat,i normally pay 3 months rent upfront because my girlfriend lives there when im back in england , i just wish she could find a job doing something just to keep her occupied when im not there, i know and ive been told never fall in love with a working girl but it happened and she is differant she is 40, im not looking for younger and we spend every minute together over there, have introduced her to my new friends over there and i no she is a good person with a big heart, i want to keep our relationship the way it is , i dont no what the legal implication would be if we married , im currently unemployed having worked in the offshore oilrig business for the past 20 yrs or so, have abit in savings but wont last long me coming and going to thailand every other month, if i sold my place in newcastle would probably end up with about £80-000 -thats about 4 million bht and my private pensions will kick in when im 65 or i can take a lump sum at 60 with a reduced pension at 65 ,i never new i would want to live anywhere  but i love thailand so much...i served with the airborne engineers for 7 years and there is a british legion place in pattaya called tropical berts ..just for the record...there are condos for sale in pattaya i could buy my apartment for 1.9 million bht ..sometimes i wish i was 65 then i could see whats on the table and take it from there, if any of you chaps have any info or in same boat would be great to hear from you, land of smiles it certainlty is

[email protected]

Hi and welcome on the forum dragontatoo :)

I hope other members will be able to advise you soon!

Regards
Armand

Dragon you didn't mention your age but it will play a big part in your decision.  Another thing you need think about is exchange rates for pound to baht because many people have taken a 25 to 30 percent loss on exchange rate in the last four years.  Also remember cost of living here has been going up and will continue to do so in the future.

thanks for replys......oh btw im 58 on july 31st...but dont tell anyone :-) i do realise prices are steadly rising in thailand but same can be said for everywhere else, i think the good points being , food and beer is still relatively cheap excluding lobster and t-bone steaks lol..the fact being that you only need flipflops shorts and t-shirts , maybe a scooter but i find taxis so cheap and i just want the simple life nothing flashy, i eat normally where the thais eat , get abit sick of tom yum and green curries rice and chicken sometimes but hey they have a tescos in pattaya and a free atm , these familymart atms charge ya 150bht a transaction which soon mounts up..also there are auctions where you can pick up a bargain or two if ya that way inclined, ive found it hard to get out of the holiday mode when im there, going out for 2 meals a day and drinking every day, so will have to work on that , the thais eat little and often, well my girlfriend does !!!!also a bus from bangkok airport to my condo in pattaya costs me 22bht appose to 1000bht for pattaya taxi or 2000bht from airport taxis , so im steadly finding my feet over there, if i want to live there ?...thats a differant matter..ie ..health care and other issues...ive travelled all over the world in my army days and on holidays but never felt so comfortable than being around ex pats and other nationalties and of course thais. there is this general store in wong amart, has tables and chairs outside under cover , many a night is spent there chatting and watching the world go buy and the beer is the cheapest 25bht for can of chang ....btw i love my beer lol anyway my fingers had enough keep in touch all take care and good health c ya

i meant to say 200bht from airport to pattaya folks oops!!!!

I am thinking of leaving england to live in pattaya, anybody got any suggestions on  how much I need, im 52yrs old..

jack 2627 wrote:

I am thinking of leaving england to live in pattaya, anybody got any suggestions on  how much I need, im 52yrs old..

You should get by on £1-2000 a month. Depends on your tastes.

BTW this is a really old thread, can I suggest you start a new one in the Pattaya section. You will probably get more responses.

I live in Isaan and make do with a lot less, but dont chase women ,drink or smoke; Live a peaceful existance.

In Isaan you do not chase the woman, you run away....lol

£1000, TO £2000 A MONTH£££THATS WHAT IT COST ME OVER HERE, IN ENGLAND, YOU MUST LIVE LIKE A KING, IF IT COSTS THAT MUCH I MAY AS WELL STAY HERE..

that correct; you must have been here;plenty plenty young and old;

jack 2627 wrote:

£1000, TO £2000 A MONTH£££THATS WHAT IT COST ME OVER HERE, IN ENGLAND, YOU MUST LIVE LIKE A KING, IF IT COSTS THAT MUCH I MAY AS WELL STAY HERE..

Jack

You asked and I told you what I think. Thats 47,000 - 94,000 Baht a month at current exchange rates. Some folk spend less and some spend more, depends on your lifestyle and location.

I certainly would struggle to live in the UK on £1000 a month but I don't here, since the wife and I spent an average 40,000 each month(which is less than £1000) BUT we do not live in Pattaya, which is a lot more expensive that here.

We don't visit bars but we do eat out at restaurants 2/3 times a month and often make road trips to places of interest.

We run a car, rent our home, have all mod cons and live comfortably.

If you are seriously thinking of moving to Thailand why not come here on a double entry tourist visa which will give you six months with local extensions and 1 border run. Do this without burning any bridges back home if that's possible. Then you can check out a few different places and the prices of life here.

In many ways Thailand is catching up with UK costs when you factor in declining exchange rates. Not an issue if you are earning Baht here, but it is an issue if you transfer funds from the UK.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Hi jack 2627,

Can you please avoid posting in caps lock, this might make your text hard to read.

Regards,

David.

Thank you very much for the imfo, its so raw when you no little bits n bats but iv been given loads of ideas so again thank you..

Ok pal ,sorry..........

Whats your story then my friend you live in pattaya??

The amount it takes to live in Pattaya is determined by a number of factors.  Those factors are the same you have in your home country and only the cost will be different.

You can find places to stay for 3000 baht and up per month.  If your happy with a small single room with minimal furniture and no air conditioning its around 3000 baht.  If you want to spend 10,000 baht and take your time looking during off season you can find large studio, one bedroom apartments or two bedroom townhouses.  For 20,000 you can pick even better places to live.  If you want big house or large condo with view then the cost will be even higher.  In all cases add in utility cost.

Food cost will be dependent on places you eat.  Local Thai food is cheap if thats what you like and it will cost way less than 100 baht a meal.  Good western food for dinner can be found that will cost you less than 250 baht not including drinks. Breakfast can be had for less than 150 baht.  Food cost will be much higher if you eat in large hotels or some of the nice restaurants.

Now what do you do will all your free time.  Will it cost and if so how much.  Its very easy to drop 1000 baht on drinks if out enjoying the night life and it can cost more.

What happens if sick do you have health insurance or cash to cover treatment.

Bottom line list everything you spend money on in your homeland and then research what cost will be in Thailand for each item.

For cost of living this website may help numbeo.com there are other websites as well.

Thanks alot for the imfo, like I said before I found that thailand has a lot to offer the over 50s, its just the way of life out there, you can be who you want to be nobody hassles you, I no the do,s n dont,s but compare it to england, the hassle the trafic laws everywre you go out, you are being watched,filmed and bin told what to do,you can drive from leeds to london and lose your licence for the stupid ridiculous laws that are set out,I could go on & on so when I visited thailand I thought my god what a way to spend the rest of my life, I want to live that dream......

Cheers Stumpy....

here for a holiday is a lot different than living here