We are new to this forum, Canadians...

Myself and partner are working towards leaving Canada, to Thailand, we have not clue where to start!

Areas of interest, it all looks amazing, and the cost of living is far less that in Canada.

Any canadians that can share with us their transitions into the country?

I am not Canadian but the first thing you need to think about is required visa for long stay.  How old are you and partner?

Hi Hemp girl

My name is Brian and i am from  Ontario living in the Bangkok area.  i moved here in October last year.  What would you like to know.

Getting a visit visa is easy and only takes over night in Toronto.

The long stay visa's are sometimes difficult but it depends if you want to learn Thai language you can get a student visa.  If you are over 50 with enough money in the bank or pension coming in that is teh route to go also.

Getting a job here can be very difficult depending on what you are qualified for.

If you want more info i can be reached at [email protected]  Please put EXPAT MOVING TO THAILAND IN THE TITLE SO I DO NOT MISS IT.

OR leave questions here and you can get more info from others.

Hi HempOut Girl

I'm also from BC, in Vancouver. I moved here in 2008 with a Retirement Visa. It was easy. You can get more information by visiting the Thai Consulate at the Wall Centre (Burrard/Hemlken). The staff is very friendly.

Cost of living is less..BUT if you want to maintain a western style of living is could be MORE expensive but the quality is abit lower. But if you mix it up with Thai style you're be ok.

I've been to Thailand a few times but chose Pattaya because it was driving distance to Bangkok.

Like you both, I moved here as a newbie...the stories I can tell you you either laugh and laugh or cry with me--LOL.

I'm Chinese and single woman living in Thailand--who would have thunk???

If you like more information...just email me and I'll share my experience with you.

Good Luck!

Betty

Thank you so much Betty! WE are appreciating your kind response and your warm welcome, humour.
We are wanting to be less of the western culture, tired of the chase, illusion and cost of living that tangles our mindfulness and loveing kindness...we know we will be working towards a visa by the end of the this year we are relocating, done some research and have a couple of friends living in Chiang Mai and Phuket, we are considering any one but are very open to all of it, we may not settle completely until we feel it. So, you are living there, a single gal have you found it challenging, or in fear of being on your own for safety? Are you working there, do you find the culture are not so driven my materialism?

We would love to keep in touch with you, Betty. Please let us know, my name is Teri, my life partner is Peter we are looking at all of Thailand, we practise Buddhist prayer daily and long to find home with loving kindness, we know the Thai people are very kind, and happy. We look forard to the possibilities, and connecting with you.
Thank you again Betty.

Teri

Hi Teri/Peter,

It's good that you have friends in other parts of Thailand it helps in many ways especially sharing tips with relocating.

I remember after the first 6 months of living here reality kicked in and realized I was so far away from my family and friends…I was ALONE!!—Felt the warmth of Fear…so I installed alarm system thruout my house. Mind you I live in a pretty safe complex-Still....

Being a single gal is not necessarily bad—I learned to enjoy my 'ME' time and got to know who I am -- it's FUN-ny!
Made a few friends in my village (complex).

Never go out in the evenings unless with friends or family visiting.

I have a Retirement Visa which mean I can not work. Thank Goodness.

OK enough about me…let's hear more about you. What type of visa are you planning? Changing visas could be very time comsuming I heard. Are you planning to look for work in Thailand?

This is ONLY my perception of the culture--to my surprise materialism IS alive--in various different scale being 3rd world-ish they love flirting with materialism. Not all but most.

Life in Thailand is very different. Lotz of compromising and patience. Sometimes you will catch yourself biting your tongue-
End of the day...you will scratch your head...and sigh it's still ALL GOOD!

We definitely keep in touch. Matter of fact, if you decide to visit Pattaya, you are welcome to stay at my house. I have a statue of chinese budda in my MODERN home...ouch.

New Friends,
Betty

Can a guy in Rangsit outside Bangkok join in?

Been here 7 months have a lovely thai girlfriend that works at a real job and is not interested completely in moving to Canada. The lifestyle here is slow but everyone works.

I am also on a retirement visa and will probably marry once i get things cleared up.  I have found that if you want to earn a little money you can always teach English to a few of the local kids

I am also doing some consulting on marketing and the gf gets paid extra by the boss lol.

If you want to know about city life i might be able to give youthat outlook.

Once a week we get up at 530 to feed the monks as they wander thru the areas.

There are also a lot of older mosques in the northern area. Ayuthya (sp) has many lovely mosques adn is easy to get to by bus which is cheap and comfortable.