Looking to move to Almeria

Hello - myself & my hubby are looking to retire and move to Almeria, a place we have visited and fell in love with in the past. A number of our questions have already been answered by threads on this and other forums or information sites however, hubby mentioned one earlier today that I have not really seen anything about and that was crime. Is there much crime in the area and if so, what type. We have been burgled in a previous area we lived in and we have noticed that there is an increasing amount of criminal activity in the area we currently live in which had a low crime rate when we moved here. Thank you in advance - all information gratefully received. Dee & Roy

Crime rates are low in Spain, in general. That doesn't mean that you won't be a victim of crime. Some houses are easier targets than others, some areas are more risky than others in exactly the same way as they are in Sussex, Ohio or Tasmania.

Unless you are intending to live in a really poor part of the town where drug dealing is the main form of income then I wouldn't worry too much.

I don't know Almeria city well but the same question you ask brings up the general answer, amongst Spaniards, that it's a nice safe place to live with the districts of La Chanca-Pescadería, El Puche, El Quemadero-La Fuentecica and Los Almendros being the ones with a reputation.

Hi - thanks for the info. It's like you say - there's crime wherever you go but some areas are worse than others. I will add that to my growing list of information. Dee