Living in Almeria

You are an expatriate living in Almeria, or you used to  work and live in Almeria.

Share your expat experience!

How would you describe life in Almeria?

Has it been complicated to settle down, to find a job, and an accomodation? 

Is it complicated to make friends in Almeria?

What would you recommend to people who would like to live in Almeria?

Thanks in advance for your participation

bonjour,

je suis française et pense m'installer à ALMERIA.

Je recherche des français qui ont fait le grand saut.

N'hésitez pas à me contacter.

merci d'avance

Having worked in property in both Costa Blanca and Almeria I have a working appreciation of the differences in the types of people who in the main wish to live in each of the areas.  I say in the main and do not wish to open myself to a barrage of attack for stereotyping as it is not my intention to offend anyone.  this is drawn from my own experiences and we all have different views.

When picking up people at Almeria airport we used to question them about the perfect property I had the area divided up into seven different tours depending on the responses to the questions dictated which tour they would be taken on.  each tour lasted around 3.5hours and was very interactive, and involved getting out of the car and soaking up the local culture.  by the end of the tour around 80% had fallen in love with the area and most bought a property, of the 20%, we explained that if they were not happy with the area then they would probably find it more beneficial to travel up to our Torrevieja office the same day to get the most from their visit for the four days that they had.  Of the 20% around 15% bought and the other five fell into the category of circumstances changed or never had any intention to buy in the first place and enjoyed a mini holiday.

The type that came here were very much more the type who were happy to move to somewhere that in those days was very much more Spanish with a charm about its simplicity.  They realised that they had to drive as there was no, and no plans for a public transport infrastructure.  that they may have to travel distances to main shopping centres and fast food, but that the area had what they were looking for which was essentially a stepping back in time and simplicity.

anyone of working age was advised to look at setting up in business as employment for non-Spanish speakers was sparse.

Entertainment was still at the early stages so networking was the best way to make sure that you had plenty to do.

Also in those days, you got a lot more for your money, Beach front apartments here were attainable for everyone and not just the elite, villas with plots and pools were cheaper than people could dare to imagine. 

the area has had its problems with illegal property etc, but then where hasn't, crime,(other than the obvious fraud) was negligible, and it just had a really nice feel.  I started life in Spain in San Cayetano in Costa Blanca, and though I liked the house and location, the area still had my old nemesis, traffic jams.  Remember this is the days when the old N332 from Cabo Roig through Punta Prima to Torrevieja was not yet dual carraigway.  I came here to meet "mi gran amour" and fell in love twice.

If you come to Spain for the weather you will get it, if it does not deliver on any other hopes and dreams you may have, just ask yourself, is that Spains fault or do you need to look closer to home.

@jessi - In english please on this Anglophone forum! :)

Thank you,
Aurélie

What is the current situation in Almeria? Any changes since your last post?