Free and low-cost leisure activities in Belize

Hello,

We invite you to share some information regarding leisure activities that are free or low-cost in Belize. This information will give future expats (or even current expats) an idea regarding some of leisure activities that they might not be aware of.

Is there a way to find out about free or low-cost fun activities in Belize, such as a specific app, or a newsletter, or magazine, tourism board, etc.? How do you find out where events are organised?

What are the most common free leisure activities in Belize?
Which free activities do you recommend for children, for teenagers, for adults, and for seniors?

Are there certain days where access to paid activities are offered at a lower price or even for free, such as museum entry, or exhibitions, or a theme park, etc.?

How do you maximise your leisure activities in the most cost-effective manner?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Priscilla

There is so much natural beauty here. Between beaches, islands, rivers, waterfalls, and mountains, there is an abundance. Something useful to know is that any of the national parks, including the ancient Maya sites require you to have the permanent residency card before getting the resident price. They all have an online presence, so search for wherever you want to go to find out prices ahead of time. None are super expensive, but they are significantly more for expats/immigrants than residents/citizens. I highly recommend the waterfall near San Antonio in Toledo, Cockscomb Basin, Mayflower Bocawina, and St Herman's Blue Hole. The beaches of Placencia and Hopkins are lovely, and the tour of Monkey River, while not inexpensive, is worth the cost. One thing to note about the cost of tours is that a big part of the expense is the cost of gas here in Belize. For those coming from Europe, it's not such a shock, but if you are coming from the US or Mexico, it's a big shock. So it's good to remember that those tours do support the local economy in a big way. The reef is also worth a visit for sure. Again, not cheap, but if you have a boat and can go on your own, it's beautiful. The Belize Zoo is also wonderful. I'm normally not a zoo person, but the Belize Zoo only has animals native to Belize, and they only keep animals that have been injured or imprinted to the point they cannot be released back to the wild. They also have a breeding program for endangered species. Sharon Matola, the founder of the zoo, is a national treasure for sure. It's also important to note that you can get the resident price with just a utility bill in your name, so you don't have to have a residency card to get the discounted price. Definitely donate if you are able, though, as they do good work. Most of what I have talked about here, other than the zoo, is in the south as that is where I live. Please feel free to message me or reply with any questions!